No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a numbers standpoint, likely football players, though I know from Instagram that at least some volleyball players were back on campus as of last week. Regardless, not good, at all.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...uw/3236216001/https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...uw/3236216001/

Comment

If all of your FB & VB athletes were tested and only two tested positive, I'd take that as a positive sign. They'll be over the virus soon and out of quarantine, and if the other athletes are kept somewhat out of the general population, perhaps team activities can move ahead as hoped.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        If all of your FB & VB athletes were tested and only two tested positive, I'd take that as a positive sign. They'll be over the virus soon and out of quarantine, and if the other athletes are kept somewhat out of the general population, perhaps team activities can move ahead as hoped.
        They've been here all of a week, and two tested positive. And yes, they might have come to campus already infected. But c'mon. This will hardly be the last two. Say one of them is a VB players; the *entire* team has to then go into quarantine for two weeks or whatever. How do you conduct a season with that likely happening in the middle of it?

It's been three months, and the NHL NBA and MLB haven't figured out how to start or restart their seasons...
        Last edited by robertearle; 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I would guess that the first fan exception will be for the pass list of the players from both teams.

Once they add fans beyond that, I'd hope that they would exclude those fans who spend 2+ hours screaming, booing, and pounding on the glass, as those actions increase the risk of Covid-19 spread.
          I promise to act like a golf fan. I double dog promise. Until the first bogus call when Webster gets pulled down on a breakaway and there is no call, then all bets are off.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I promise to act like a golf fan.
            Unfortunately the tournaments played thus far have been without golf fans, other than those watching on TV.

I double dog promise. Until the first bogus call when Webster gets pulled down on a breakaway and there is no call, then all bets are off.
            If you're only watching on TV, like golf, what exactly do you mean, that all bets are off?
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Unfortunately the tournaments played thus far have been without golf fans, other than those watching on TV.

If you're only watching on TV, like golf, what exactly do you mean, that all bets are off?
              Like a golf fan attending silly.

I recall a few weeks ago I was watching a chat between Clark, Nurse and Pankowski and it was strongly implied that MJ doesn't really have a planned D system, they kinda giggled at that idea. I guess the players are just THAT smart and responsible.

Comment

I recall a few weeks ago I was watching a chat between Clark, Nurse and Pankowski and it was strongly implied that MJ doesn't really have a planned D system, they kinda giggled at that idea.
                "Strongly implied" by whom? I gather that there was someone else chatting along with the three former Badgers.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

"Strongly implied" by whom? I gather that there was someone else chatting along with the three former Badgers.
                  Implied by the players as they were chatting.

Comment

I'm not sure I hear what Tim hears, but here is the video I assume he's talking about:

https://twitter.com/BadgerWHockey/st...50224550961158

------------------------

A pretty bad couple of days of COVID numbers for Dane County this week, ones that really don't bode well for what happens when students come back to town - assuming they haven't started filtering back already. (And when they make the distinction between Madison and 'elsewhere', there really isn't a whole lot of 'elsewhere' in Dane County, so I assume that means four or five 'suburbs' that the average person would not distinguish from "Madison".)

https://wkow.com/2020/06/25/increase...nty-reopening/
                    Last edited by robertearle; 06-25-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      I'm not sure I hear what Tim hears, but here is the video I assume he's talking about:

https://twitter.com/BadgerWHockey/st...50224550961158

------------------------

A pretty bad couple of days of COVID numbers for Dane County this week, ones that really don't bode well for what happens when students come back to town - assuming they haven't started filtering back already. (And when they make the distinction between Madison and 'elsewhere', there really isn't a whole lot of 'elsewhere' in Dane County, so I assume that means four or five 'suburbs' that the average person would not distinguish from "Madison".)

https://wkow.com/2020/06/25/increase...nty-reopening/
                      Yeah, that's the one. Clark specifically talks about the loose system they play.

There's no way Brad Frost is the best player on the ice when he's running practice.

This Covid thing is going to ruin this season.

Comment

There's no way Brad Frost is the best player on the ice when he's running practice.
                        Regardless of whether he is or isn't ( and let's be honest...You have no idea.) Frost doesn't seem like the kind of person who would need to show that off. He would care more about his own players being the best they can be.

Anyway, putting aside you being thinnered up you, that was a nice chat between those three. Thanks to robertearle for providing the link.
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-26-2020, 10:00 AM.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

This Covid thing is going to ruin this season.
                          There was a GopherSports.com player profile a couple of years ago, Sydney Baldwin if I recall correctly. One of the questions she was asked was who is the best player you ever played against and her answer was Brad Frost. I am sure as a player he ranks a couple of orders of magnitude below Mark Johnson but Frost did play D3 at Bethel. He pretty likely has a bit of game.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

There was a GopherSports.com player profile a couple of years ago, Sydney Baldwin if I recall correctly. One of the questions she was asked was who is the best player you ever played against and her answer was Brad Frost. I am sure as a player he ranks a couple of orders of magnitude below Mark Johnson but Frost did play D3 at Bethel. He pretty likely has a bit of game.
                            Interesting, so a D3 male player is (using "is" loosely) better than a top tier D1 female player.

Comment

So, if one were to carry this silly conversation forward, one might check into Frost's record at Bethel (according to the web site 'Elite Prospects', he only ever made it onto the ice his senior year; had two goals and 13 assists in 22 games on a team that went 7-17-1).

One might also point out that we're talking about the practice abilities of a 47 year old vs those of a 62 year old (and as a lifelong runner, I can tell those who haven't gotten there yet that I could do things at age 47 that I can't come remotely close to doing at age 63 - yes, MJ and I were at Wisconsin at the same time; friends of friends of friends; I showed up at the same party as he and other hockey players once or twice. Though one might also point out that MJ has done a couple of full-distance Ironmans over the last few years, so he's not your average 62 year old.)

Comment

Interesting, so a D3 male player is (using "is" loosely) better than a top tier D1 female player.
                                As big a supporter as I am of women's hockey, it is undeniable that a D3 male player is objectively better than a D1 woman. The US Women's Olympic team has regularly played games against boy's high school teams to prepare for their tournament. and the games tend to be close. In 2014, for instance, the US Women defeated the boys from Katey Stone's alma mater, The Taft School, in OT. I recall that the Warroad boy's team has defeated past Olympic womens' teams.

This takes nothing away from the accomplishments of women, it just recognizes the difference between men and women.

Comment

Working...
                                X