Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

    Frost took over a team coming off a down year, but at a school that had previously never failed to make the NCAA tournament and had already won three national championships;
    That's mostly true; UM didn't make the 2001 tournament. Anyway, the biggest impact players from the most recent NCAA title -- Wendell, Darwitz, Stephens, Wall, Horak -- were long gone by the time Frost took over.

    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Johnson took over a team that had never been to the NCAA tournament.
    True. But those were teams that missed out on four-team tournaments, and obviously, Johnson would have had UW into the tournament faster had it been an eight-team event. The biggest change in 2005 was the expansion of the tourney to eight teams. Otherwise, the Badgers would have had to wait one additional year to crack the field.

    Nobody is denying that Johnson built a great program in Madison. But the team that he inherited wasn't chopped liver. The blue line for his first squad included returning players Paulsen, Uliasz, Weiland, Engstrom, and MacLeod. Few teams in that era were even close to that group. Compared to a team like the one that Brian Idalski took over in North Dakota and eventually coached to the NCAA Tournament, Wisconsin was much more of a "have" than a "have not."
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by ARM View Post
      That's mostly true; UM didn't make the 2001 tournament.
      The Minn women's hockey team page at Wikipedia had that wrong. I'll correct it.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by robertearle View Post

        I don't remember if the old format on PC had "post numbers", but the new format that I'm on right now certainly does not (at least none that I can see or find).

        Upper right corner of the post...#90 for what I quoted from your second most recent post. #93 for mine. On the left side. at the top it shows "Today, 08:54 AM". Just go straight across from there to the right side and you should see it.

        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 07-02-2020, 01:58 PM.
        “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post


          Upper right corner of the post...#90 for what I quoted from your second most recent post. #93 for mine. On the left side. at the top it shows "Today, 08:54 AM". Just go straight across from there to the right side and you should see it.
          Nope.

          I'm on a Dell PC, Intel I5-core processor, Windows 10, Google Chrome; the version of the web site they introduced a month ago or whenever. Date/time are at the upper right, not the left. And no numbers anywhere.

          ----------------------

          Adding: This is interesting. If I go into a 'topic' etc., I see the numbers you're talking about. But with the new format, I'm in the habit of clicking on the "Latest Activity" button, which reverses the order in time of the posts. And when you click on 'Latest Activity', the page you get doesn't have the posts numbered.
          Last edited by robertearle; 07-02-2020, 05:34 PM.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            adding: This is interesting. If I go into a 'topic' etc., I see the numbers you're talking about. But with the new format, I'm in the habit of clicking on the "Latest Activity" button, which reverses the order in time of the posts. And when you click on 'Latest Activity', the page you get doesn't have the posts numbered.
            Now you know you can click on the "posts" tab if you're in the "Latest Activity" tab if you need to find the post number.
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 07-06-2020, 09:26 AM.
            “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

              Now you know you can click on the "posts" tab if your in the "Latest Activity" tab if you need to find the post number.
              Or... now you know that referring to previous posts by 'number' only can be confusing and lead to miscommunication, depending on how the reader is using the web site.

              See what I did there?

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                Or... now you know that referring to previous posts by 'number' only can be confusing and lead to miscommunication, depending on how the reader is using the web site.

                See what I did there?
                Referring to a post number is confusing and leads to miscommunication? OK, ya got me there.
                “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

                  Referring to a post number is confusing and leads to miscommunication? OK, ya got me there.
                  Under circumstances where no such number appears on the page? Quite obviously.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    UW has released an update to their COVID testing of athletes on campus. The first announcement has two positives in something like 118 athletes (roughly 100 football players and the women's volleyball team, with no word on who had tested positive). This update says a total of seven positives on 428 tests conducted. That does not mean 428 athletes; it might cover that same group of 118 athletes, or some others - more football or maybe some cross-country, etc - who have subsequently arrived on campus.

                    Meanwhile, overall testing in Dane County has been not good; roughly 100 new cases a day, with over half of the positives in the 20-something age group, and 80% under the age of 40. Local government re-imposing restrictions, such as bars closed back up, stricter limits to restaurants, and starting this week mandatory face masks in stores, etc.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Just drove to and from my brother's lake home in Northern Wisconsin and was amazed how lax things were in terms of people not taking the virus seriously. We saw dozens of small local bars, taverns and restaurants where the parking lots were full, or nearly so, so it was obvious that social distancing couldn't have been possible. And in the few stores we ventured into, like grocery and bait/tackle establishments, maybe half (on average) of the employees were wearing face masks. It was a huge contrast from what we see in Minnesota. at least in the Twin Cities area.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                      Comment


                      • (FWIW, again...)

                        I got a letter from the UW Athletic dept today (July 15) telling me that starting July 14, season tickets go on sale for the 2020-2021 season.

                        Just like it was for volleyball, no email a couple days in advance, no notice that I saw on the web site or twitter account, etc. A letter in regular USPS mail a day late.

                        And no mention or any other indication of any problem that might arise with actually being able to use the tickets you'd be purchasing. No mention of a schedule, or number of games planned, etc etc.

                        (Tickets on sale mid-July is utterly normal; the schedule is usually announced some time in May. Last year, with the whole Princeton-LIU mess, the schedule wasn't officially announced until July 12.)

                        Yes, i bought my season tickets. No, I don't expect to even get the chance to use them.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Just drove to and from my brother's lake home in Northern Wisconsin and was amazed how lax things were in terms of people not taking the virus seriously. We saw dozens of small local bars, taverns and restaurants where the parking lots were full, or nearly so, so it was obvious that social distancing couldn't have been possible. And in the few stores we ventured into, like grocery and bait/tackle establishments, maybe half (on average) of the employees were wearing face masks. It was a huge contrast from what we see in Minnesota. at least in the Twin Cities area.
                          I’m also in a neighboring state and everyone regards WI as “enter at your own risk”
                          Sad
                          Hopefully the athletic department video released yesterday with Barry urging everyone to wear a mask will get through to some people. Obviously they don’t listen to health experts, maybe they’ll listen to Barry. Otherwise they can’t complain when there’s no football this year.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

                            I’m also in a neighboring state and everyone regards WI as “enter at your own risk”
                            Sad
                            Hopefully the athletic department video released yesterday with Barry urging everyone to wear a mask will get through to some people. Obviously they don’t listen to health experts, maybe they’ll listen to Barry. Otherwise they can’t complain when there’s no football this year.
                            It depends on where you are.

                            In my west side of Madison neighborhood, everybody has a mask on, and everybody gives distance when out walking running, etc, even to the point of crossing the street. And it's been that way since mid-April. In more rural parts, where they did not, had not seen much COVID, mask-wearing and distancing was less frequently practiced, to the point of not much at all (according to my sister who lives in rural Oconto County). That same sister is right now spending a month or so in even more rural Upper Michigan, and she says masking etc is non-existent.

                            Obviously, when the college age folks could go back into the bars, they did so without regard to precautions, and it is costing us, in Madison and elsewhere.

                            Comment


                            • Just saw this:

                              Comment


                              • Hmm... it's changing the link. Here's the text version: https://www.startribune.com/wisconsi...k-w/571780722/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X