X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I sure feel sad for Kyleigh Hanzlik.
    Just an awful deal for her.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Dana Rettke is BACK baby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Dana Rettke is BACK baby!
        There was apparently a story at the WI State Journal, an hour ago or so, that has since been taken down. Nothing at her instagram account (where most all of the other such announcements have been made); nothing at the twitter account of Denniz Punzel, the guy who covers Badger VB for the State Journal, nothing at her twitter account, nothing at the team's twitter or instagram account, nothing at the coach's twitter, etc etc

The school announced regular in-person camps for high schoolers, and team members - current and former - are often 'coaches' etc at the camps. Maybe somebody hear she'd be there for a camp, and misunderstood, or jumped the gun, or whatever.

--------------
        (now Wed morning)
        All so strangely handled!

Earlier this morning, a story (byline from Dennis Punzel, as would be expected) showed up in the "e-edition" pdf of the State Journal, but still nothing at their web site and nothing on the various social media pages. Then maybe 9 AM or a little after, the story finally showed up on the State Journal web site (with quotes from Rettke and the head coach about how and why the decision came). But STILL nothing on Rettke's instagram or twitter.

So I guess it is probably for real. But.... so strange.
        Last edited by robertearle; 06-02-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• She did post on her Twitter account that it is official today. Just odd the way it was handled.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• UW has a new AD, BA's prot?g? McIntosh. He didn't know the proper pronunciation of Meghan Duggan's name in his speech. His salary is like $500,000 less than BA's, more money for hockey! Upgrade and expand seating in LaBahn.

Comment

• I reached out to TDM and asked when he might have some official news about the Sr's. He said once the summer session begins things should lock into place and he'll have some news for us. We did have an short discussion on goaltending as I am a goaltending centric fan and the way the goaltending roster has worked since ARD is an indicator of perhaps some players not developing as one would have hoped, which is a different thought from the one in my head that the transfers just beat out other capable players. Obviously Soup and Blair are very talented. You don't backstop a Natty if you are just an average player.

Comment

I reached out to TDM and asked when he might have some official news about the Sr's. He said once the summer session begins things should lock into place and he'll have some news for us. We did have an short discussion on goaltending as I am a goaltending centric fan and the way the goaltending roster has worked since ARD is an indicator of perhaps some players not developing as one would have hoped, which is a different thought from the one in my head that the transfers just beat out other capable players. Obviously Soup and Blair are very talented. You don't backstop a Natty if you are just an average player.
                So, to review: as best we know (and corrections and additions very welcome)

Forwards - Pettet, Drake, Schneider, and Watts coming back; Posick unknown

Goalie - we know nothing regarding Blair (though it would be year six of college, which always puts me in mind of "Animal House", xxx years of college, down the drain)

Defense - here things are interesting, and we know maybe less than "nothing". Bowlby and Buchbinder are eligible for a "super-senior" COVID year; Buchbinder, LaMantia, and incoming freshman Caroline Harvey were at the selection camp for the US National/Olympic team. They were 3 of 12 D players there, and 8? 9? 10? will be centralized, so it is likely that one or two of them will be part of the team, and so lost to UW for the year. (And why wasn't Bowlby part of the camp and selection? Seems odd to me.) The selection camp wrapped up last Sunday, and announcement of the team comes in the next week or two. So we find out more then, and for some reason Bowlby is waiting on that before making her decision?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Goalie - we know nothing regarding Blair (though it would be year six of college, which always puts me in mind of "Animal House", xxx years of college, down the drain)
                  Gotta recognize Tommy Boy as well: “Lots of people go to school for 7 years.” “ Yea they are called doctors.”

does Cayla Barnes still have 2 years of college eligibility left, plus presumably an Olympic year? She’s another who’s been around a while between the pandemic/Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Gotta recognize Tommy Boy as well: “Lots of people go to school for 7 years.” “ Yea they are called doctors.”

does Cayla Barnes still have 2 years of college eligibility left, plus presumably an Olympic year? She’s another who’s been around a while between the pandemic/Olympics.
                    My understanding is that, yes, she has two years of eligibility left, and two years to use it, because she played during the 2020-2021 season; the COVID extensions add not only another year of eligibility but also an additional year to the "five year" clock in which to use them. And then if she were to be centralized, that "stops the five/six year clock". So she could play in 2021-22 and 2022-23 if not centralized, or in 2022-23 and 2023-24 in centralized. Yikes!

Comment

I reached out to TDM and asked when he might have some official news about the Sr's. He said once the summer session begins things should lock into place and he'll have some news for us. We did have an short discussion on goaltending as I am a goaltending centric fan and the way the goaltending roster has worked since ARD is an indicator of perhaps some players not developing as one would have hoped, which is a different thought from the one in my head that the transfers just beat out other capable players. Obviously Soup and Blair are very talented. You don't backstop a Natty if you are just an average player.
                      Keep your eye on who makes the National team. Assuming it’s the same goalies that were rostered for Nova Scotia, but if it’s not, then that could become interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

Keep your eye on who makes the National team. Assuming it’s the same goalies that were rostered for Nova Scotia, but if it’s not, then that could become interesting...
                        ??

How would who is chosen for the national/Olympic team affect who is in goal for UW in the fall? The four goalies at the selection camp were Rigsby, Maddie Rooney, Nicole Hensley and Aerin Frankel.

Comment

??

How would who is chosen for the national/Olympic team affect who is in goal for UW in the fall? The four goalies at the selection camp were Rigsby, Maddie Rooney, Nicole Hensley and Aerin Frankel.
                          Exactly. Think...

Comment

Exactly. Think...
                            Frankel to Wisco? Am I decoding correctly? My guess is she’s getting centralized anyway but that would be some drama. As for centralizations hopefully they release that soon. I think the camp is wrapped up, presumably decisions have been made.

Robert Earle - thanks for confirming my math on Barnes.

Comment

Exactly. Think...
                              SMH...

So now every player who hasn't won a championship is ready and willing to transfer to Wisconsin?

"Frankel, who’s majoring in criminal justice and psychology, will be trying out later this year for the U.S. Olympic team. If she doesn’t make it, she plans to return to Northeastern next season by taking advantage of a temporary NCAA rule that affords an extra year of eligibility to players during the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/0...ankel-emerged/

(I had posted another bit here regarding eligibility and the COVID year, but what I said was - I think - wrong, so I deleted. I hope before anyone saw it.)
                              Last edited by robertearle; 06-12-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

So now every player who hasn't won a championship is ready and willing to transfer to Wisconsin?

"Frankel, who’s majoring in criminal justice and psychology, will be trying out later this year for the U.S. Olympic team. If she doesn’t make it, she plans to return to Northeastern next season by taking advantage of a temporary NCAA rule that affords an extra year of eligibility to players during the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/0...ankel-emerged/
                                MJ will make her an offer she can't refuse.

I think all the players are in town for the summer as Duane Derksen did a tweet with him and the men's incoming Fr. We need answers!

Comment

Working...
                                X