Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

    Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    Why not just ask the student athletes if they want to play? Itís not like the schools would be sending them unwillingly into a war zone. There is negligible risk to that demographic. You make it sound like the schools are sending these unwitting pawns into a dangerous situation. I would expect the vast majority would jump at the chance to play. The ones I know would.

    Athletes could play and go to class on line or in person. Non athletes could attend class with the same options. Professors could teach with appropriate protections and spacing.
    As long as non-athletes and athletes are given the same options I am fine with it.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

      Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      As long as non-athletes and athletes are given the same options I am fine with it.
      Ok- we solved that problem! Excellent work. On to the next one.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

        River Falls’ Rowe drafted by Minnesota Whitecaps
        https://www.rivertowns.net/sports/ho...sota-Whitecaps
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

          Originally posted by D2D View Post
          River Fallsí Rowe drafted by Minnesota Whitecaps
          https://www.rivertowns.net/sports/ho...sota-Whitecaps
          Fascinating considering one occasional poster was all over her play for UW this past season. Of course it comes down to where the players will be living post college, so that may shrink the drafting pool, but still a neat accomplishment to be drafted.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

            This definitely goes in the "for what it's worth" category.

            This morning (Monday) I go out to get my regular mail, and in the mail is a letter from the UW Athletic Dept informing me that starting on June 1st (that is, today) volleyball season tickets will be available for order. No prior email informing me of any such pending sale, as would usually be the case (I then check email and there is one there sent out at 8:32 AM announcing the sale starting at 8:30 AM.)

            And no announced schedule of any kind, either on-line or in either the email or regular mailing. In the past five years or so, the schedule has been announced somewhere around the 1st of May (season usually starts with an intra-squad game mid-August, with the first real matches late August or Labor Day weekend).

            And no mention anywhere of COVID or COVID related issues, etc etc

            I put in my normal order, because even if it turns out to be a $100 donation to the VB program, it's still not that much (more than women's hockey, but about what a single football game costs). And I maintain my usual seat for next year, and afterward (assigned seats, and harder and harder to get good seats, as the team has improved; sellouts are just about a given these days.)

            So, as I said, offered FWIW.
            Last edited by robertearle; 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

              Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              This definitely goes in the "for what it's worth" category.

              This morning (Monday) I go out to get my regular mail, and in the mail is a letter from the UW Athletic Dept informing me that starting on June 1st (that is, today) volleyball season tickets will be available for order. No prior email informing me of any such pending sale, as would usually be the case (I then check email and there is one there sent out at 8:32 AM announcing the sale starting at 8:30 AM.)

              And no announced schedule of any kind, either on-line or in either the email or regular mailing. In the past five years or so, the schedule has been announced somewhere around the 1st of May (season usually starts with an intra-squad game mid-August, with the first real matches late August or Labor Day weekend).

              And no mention anywhere of COVID or COVID related issues, etc etc

              I put in my normal order, because even if it turns out to be a $100 donation to the VB program, it's still not that much (more than women's hockey, but about what a single football game costs). And I maintain my usual seat for next year, and afterward (assigned seats, and harder and harder to get good seats, as the team has improved; sellouts are just about a given these days.)

              So, as I said, offered FWIW.
              I got the email from them this morning as well.

              It's hard for me to give the UW an interest free loan at this point. I'm having a really hard time imagining sports going on in the fall with (m)any fans in attendance, so I'll be waiting on just about everything.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                I got the email from them this morning as well.

                It's hard for me to give the UW an interest free loan at this point. I'm having a really hard time imagining sports going on in the fall with (m)any fans in attendance, so I'll be waiting on just about everything.
                There's a guy who sits near my a half-dozen times a season, using the season seats of a friend of his. And he has told me a number of times how he has tried to get reserved season tickets, and has not been able to, and he's stuck with general admission and has to get there early to get a decent seat etc, etc. I guess I signed up at just the right time - Carlini's soph year - so I had no such trouble at all, and I have a seat I really like, section E seven rows up. I'd really hate to give that up, and get sent to "the back of the line" by not getting tickets this year. No idea if that would/will happen if you sit out this year, but I don't wanna risk it.

                With only general admission to women's hockey, "sitting out" the year wouldn't have that problem.
                Last edited by robertearle; 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                  Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  I put in my normal order, because even if it turns out to be a $100 donation to the VB program, it's still not that much ...
                  Thanks; you're a great supporter of women's athletics.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                    Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Thanks; you're a great supporter of women's athletics.
                    Also maintaining my good seat location. The economists call it 'enlightened self-interest'.

                    :-)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                      Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      The economists call it 'enlightened self-interest'.
                      We're all at the center of our own universe.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                        Another FWIW, but the article about tickets sold vs tickets scanned last season came today.

                        For Fill The Bowl vs Ohio State, there were 9,696 tickets scanned; 14361 was the "sold" number.

                        For comparison, in 2017, it was 15,359 sold, 10,247 scanned.

                        Other notes:

                        - "UW distributes more tickets for women's hockey games than it has seats in LaBahn Arena ó listed capacity 2,273 ó by 300 or 400."
                        I did not know that.

                        - "The largest ticket scan count at LaBahn in the 2019-20 season was 2,071 for a Jan. 24 game against Minnesota, 76% of the 2,713 tickets distributed. The smallest was 1,486 for a Dec. 7 game against Minnesota Duluth."
                        Dec 7th was a Saturday, Volleyball playing a second round NCAA tournament match vs UCLA. Not a coincidence.

                        https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...me-top-story-1

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

                          Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Also maintaining my good seat location. The economists call it 'enlightened self-interest'.

                          :-)
                          I would surely pay a premium to reserve my seats for women's hockey. They could just put a sticker on the reserved seats anywhere and the non-reserve people could fill in around them. It would be nice to not to have to get there there when the doors open to get to sit where I want. Since they are always starved for $$ I wonder why they have not done that yet.

                          I'm shocked they oversell the games at Labahn. Surely the Madison Fire Marshall doesn't like the thought of them having more people in the building than it is supposed to have. I can't believe UW's lawyers and insurance vendors are on board with this in today's legalistic world.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Bump over spam.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              The thought of UW playing hockey without fans has me just sick to my stomach. I've been dreaming of watching Webster, O'Brien and Wheeler for years. There has to be a way to allow season ticket holders into the rink in limited amounts based on maybe the amount of years you have had tickets and your attendance percentage. IF they moved back into the Kohl Center, they could let all the fans in and we can spread out. It's just impossible for me to contain all these great ideas that float into my head.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I would guess that the first fan exception will be for the pass list of the players from both teams.

                                Once they add fans beyond that, I'd hope that they would exclude those fans who spend 2+ hours screaming, booing, and pounding on the glass, as those actions increase the risk of Covid-19 spread.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X