Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
    But, I am wondering if other teams are a bit hesitant about adding her to their rosters given the alleged suggestion by MJ that she look to the portal due to “off ice issues”. I am assuming it isn’t academic issues since academic progress is a condition to retain eligibility to play and should be relatively easy to resolve.[/FONT][/FONT]

This may sound odd, even ridiculous, but I find myself hoping that the lack of information about her transfer may be due to the fact she and MJ continue to try to resolve the issues to their mutual satisfaction. Basically, MJ made it clear that the off-ice issues had to be resolved to his satisfaction (hopefully hers as well) if she wished to remain at the UW. He is willing to continue to work on a solution but, should this prove impossible, registering for the portal as a precaution would give her the option to play elsewhere this coming season. In all likelihood, pure fantasy. But, what the hell, what can it hurt?
    I'm still a bit in the dark about why we think off-ice issues somehow resulted in MJ asking MW to resolve these issues or transfer. Is this just conjecture because the usual reasons (homesick, academic issues, not enough playing time) aren't in play so we are landing on conjecture? Or is this actually information coming through a reasonably-reliable pipeline?
    How about we not "assume" anything, and just wait to hear what we need to hear when it becomes available (if it ever does).

I VERY much dislike such speculation based on nothing.

Comment

• The suggestion that the coaching staff “requested” that Webster enter the portal was posted by wheel snipe celly on April 29. The reliability of his source is not evident, but it strikes me as an odd that someone simply would post this without having some sense it could be credible.

As for the usual reasons one might transfer, home sickness doesn’t work unless she is thinking of transferring to Lindenwood, the only Div 1 team near Saint Louis, her hometown. I think she would be more interested in playing for another more highly regarded Div 1 team. In terms of distance from Saint Louis, Madison is 359 miles; Columbus, 418; Minneapolis, 560. The quality eastern teams are more than 1000 miles. So, one of the teams in these cities make the most sense. Wisconsin is the closest, but Ohio State really is not much farther.

A lack of playing time makes no sense given she played on what was predominately the first line in every game, predominately with Watts and O’Brien. If anything, given the shortage of forwards, she (and other Fs) probably played more than one typically would expect.

Academic problems also strike me as something that could be addressed rather simply via tutoring or counseling and not something to be hidden under the rubric of “office issues” unless confidentiality rules prohibit specifing the reason. I am unaware that MJ has been asked why she may transfer but, if asked, he only should acknowledge she has entered the portal and she is the only person who can say why. Watts eventually was quite open about her reasons for wanting to transfer. As for Webster, if she transfers, it is to be expected people will wonder why. But she is free to not to explain her reasons to anyone now or ever. And what is life without some mysteries?
      Last edited by Patricio; 05-08-2022, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
        The suggestion that the coaching staff “requested” that Webster enter the portal was posted by wheel snipe celly on April 29. The reliability of his source is not evident, but it strikes me as an odd that someone simply would post this without having some sense it could be credible.

As for the usual reasons one might transfer, home sickness doesn’t work unless she is thinking of transferring to Lindenwood, the only Div 1 team near Saint Louis, her hometown. I think she would be more interested in playing for another more highly regarded Div 1 team. In terms of distance from Saint Louis, Madison is 359 miles; Columbus, 418; Minneapolis, 560. The quality eastern teams are more than 1000 miles. So, one of the teams in these cities make the most sense. Wisconsin is the closest, but Ohio State really is not much farther.

A lack of playing time makes no sense given she played on what was predominately the first line in every game, predominately with Watts and O’Brien. If anything, given the shortage of forwards, she (and other Fs) probably played more than one typically would expect.

Academic problems also strike me as something that could be addressed rather simply via tutoring or counseling and not something to be hidden under the rubric of “office issues” unless confidentiality rules prohibit specifing the reason. I am unaware that MJ has been asked why she may transfer but, if asked, he only should acknowledge she has entered the portal and she is the only person who can say why. Watts eventually was quite open about her reasons for wanting to transfer. As for Webster, if she transfers, it is to be expected people will wonder why. But she is free to not to explain her reasons to anyone now or ever. And what is life without some mysteries?
        There is ZERO reason for any of us to assume that what he claims is true or accurate. There is ZERO justification for any of us to speculate about her reasons for choosing to transfer. Her life, her choices and her reasoning is NOT merely something there to give yours some "spice".

Just stop!

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

There is ZERO reason for any of us to assume that what he claims is true or accurate. There is ZERO justification for any of us to speculate about her reasons for choosing to transfer. Her life, her choices and her reasoning is NOT merely something there to give yours some "spice".

Just stop!
          I think that the post saying she was asked to leave was a little reckless. Even if you know it to be true, it's something that the damages a person's reputation. Let her tell her story if she wants to. I wish her the best.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I think that the post saying she was asked to leave was a little reckless. Even if you know it to be true, it's something that the damages a person's reputation. Let her tell her story if she wants to. I wish her the best.
            Yes, I agree completely. MW gave her all while she was here. We are curious about why she has chosen to leave. But, I think we've eliminated the reasons we can think of easily. We may learn the reason eventually, or not. Repeating rumors is not a good look no matter what the truth turns out to be.

Comment

• webster is transferring because she has decided to play two division one sports and wisconsin is not capable of satisfying that desire. it is simple as that. she was as highly recruited in Field hockey as ice hockey and was a 2 time u18 team usa field hockey player to go with her being a 3x usa u18 ice hockey player. i believe MJ pointed this out when he announced her as a freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by drhockey View Post
                webster is transferring because she has decided to play two division one sports and wisconsin is not capable of satisfying that desire. it is simple as that. she was as highly recruited in Field hockey as ice hockey and was a 2 time u18 team usa field hockey player to go with her being a 3x usa u18 ice hockey player. i believe MJ pointed this out when he announced her as a freshman.
                We’ll then she should go D3 or to a never-contending D1 team. If I was on a team with a real chance of winning it all, I would want all of my teammates to be 100% committed to that goal. I certainly wouldn’t want someone coming in midseason after finishing with field hockey and reducing my playing time because a spot was held for her in the lineup. I don’t see how allowing a talented player to play an overlapping second sport is a positive for either team she’s playing on. I’ll add that I really like that - if this is true - MJ wouldn’t accommodate such a player request.

Last edited by Offsides Guy; 05-08-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

We’ll then she should go D3 or to a never-contending D1 team. If I was on a team with a real chance of winning it all, I would want all of my teammates to be 100% committed to that goal. I certainly wouldn’t want someone coming in midseason after finishing with field hockey and reducing my playing time because a spot was held for her in the lineup. I don’t see how allowing a talented player to play an overlapping second sport is a positive for either team she’s playing on. I’ll add that I really like that - if this is true - MJ wouldn’t accommodate such a player request.
                  MJ already HAS accommodated just such a player request, and he did so on a team that DID win it all.

Sisters Alev and Derya Kelter played on the UW soccer team as well as the hockey team their first three seasons at Wisconsin, 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12. Derya didn't play all that much and I think ended up 'retiring' from both due to concussions. But Alex was a very good defenseman who would join the the hockey team only when the soccer team's season was over - which wasn't until almost Christmas break for the 2010-2011 team, because soccer made the NCAA tournament; that 2011 hockey team won the national championship. For the 2012-13 year, Alev played hockey 'full time' and then used her "5th year" in 2013-2014 to play her fourth season of soccer.

(An indication of the kind of athlete Alev was: after college she took up rugby, and ended up playing for the US in the Olympics in rugby-sevens in 2016.)

-----------------

Adding that if you mean to imply MJ is not accommodating her two-sport request now, and that's why Webster is leaving, Wisconsin does not have a field hockey team. There is nothing MJ could do to accommodate her, other than wish her well at her next school.
                  Last edited by robertearle; 05-08-2022, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• So, Webster wants to go to a school where she can play hockey on two surfaces. Why not just say that? If that would be a violation of the rules about confidentiality of student information, ask her if you could let that be known. If she says no, say nothing. But don’t use an ambiguous term like “off-ice issues”.

As for candidate schools, there are three very good D1 schools that would afford such an opportunity. They are BC, NE, and (take a deep breath) Ohio State. While the season does take place during the fall semester with season ending conference tournaments extending into early November, it can last until December for teams that make it to the National Championship round. All of these teams could treat her as a “redshirt” for the first half of the hockey season. She then would provide a major boost for the remainder of the season and their chances to make the NCAA tournament.

If I were to bet, I think she will reunite with Grant at Ohio State – the one on the list closest to Saint Louis. That would mean that we will see more of her over the next 3 years than we may enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
                      So, Webster wants to go to a school where she can play hockey on two surfaces. Why not just say that? If that would be a violation of the rules about confidentiality of student information, ask her if you could let that be known. If she says no, say nothing. But don’t use an ambiguous term like “off-ice issues”.

As for candidate schools, there are three very good D1 schools that would afford such an opportunity. They are BC, NE, and (take a deep breath) Ohio State. While the season does take place during the fall semester with season ending conference tournaments extending into early November, it can last until December for teams that make it to the National Championship round. All of these teams could treat her as a “redshirt” for the first half of the hockey season. She then would provide a major boost for the remainder of the season and their chances to make the NCAA tournament.

If I were to bet, I think she will reunite with Grant at Ohio State – the one on the list closest to Saint Louis. That would mean that we will see more of her over the next 3 years than we may enjoy.
                      The only person I am aware of to say "off-ice issues" is the person here posting rumors, etc - and those of you echoing those rumors. I am not aware of anyone making any sort of official statements.

So if you want to be upset about being told "off-ice issues", be upset at yourself for listening to anonymous rumors.

As far as "redshirts": that isn't how a redshirt year works. If she plays a season of field hockey, then she has used a year of field hockey eligibility. If she then plays half of an ice hockey season, and particularly the second half, she has used an entire year of ice hockey eligibility.

Comment

MJ already HAS accommodated just such a player request, and he did so on a team that DID win it all.

Sisters Alev and Derya Kelter played on the UW soccer team as well as the hockey team their first three seasons at Wisconsin, 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12. Derya didn't play all that much and I think ended up 'retiring' from both due to concussions. But Alex was a very good defenseman who would join the the hockey team only when the soccer team's season was over - which wasn't until almost Christmas break for the 2010-2011 team, because soccer made the NCAA tournament; that 2011 hockey team won the national championship. For the 2012-13 year, Alev played hockey 'full time' and then used her "5th year" in 2013-2014 to play her fourth season of soccer.

(An indication of the kind of athlete Alev was: after college she took up rugby, and ended up playing for the US in the Olympics in rugby-sevens in 2016.)

-----------------

Adding that if you mean to imply MJ is not accommodating her two-sport request now, and that's why Webster is leaving, Wisconsin does not have a field hockey team. There is nothing MJ could do to accommodate her, other than wish her well at her next school.
                        Good info I obviously was not aware of. Still wouldn’t want to lose ice time to such a player on my team.

Comment

The only person I am aware of to say "off-ice issues" is the person here posting rumors, etc - and those of you echoing those rumors. I am not aware of anyone making any sort of official statements.

So if you want to be upset about being told "off-ice issues", be upset at yourself for listening to anonymous rumors.
                          I would not post rumors etc. this information came from a very credible source within the organization. I will not elaborate on this statement because that information should be private or be released by the team / MW.
                          "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

• Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post

I would not post rumors etc. this information came from a very credible source within the organization. I will not elaborate on this statement because that information should be private or be released by the team / MW.
                            If the "information should be private or be released by the team / MW", they why the EFF are you posting vague versions of it anonymously on the G-- D--- internet!?!?

Comment

If the "information should be private or be released by the team / MW", they why the EFF are you posting vague versions of it anonymously on the G-- D--- internet!?!?
                              I apologize that I offended you. It is pretty well known to those close to the organization why MW is in the portal. I was simply relaying a piece of that information. I believe the reasoning behind the situation and the specific events leading to the decision are a private matter.

I apologize that I cannot give you the exact reasons you so desire.

Next time I will keep any information I know off the "G-- D--- internet"
                              "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

• Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post

I apologize that I offended you. It is pretty well known to those close to the organization why MW is in the portal. I was simply relaying a piece of that information. I believe the reasoning behind the situation and the specific events leading to the decision are a private matter.

I apologize that I cannot give you the exact reasons you so desire.

Next time I will keep any information I know off the "G-- D--- internet"
                                If you are not able or willing to give actual information as well as where and how you came by that information so that those reading it can give it the weight it may or may not deserve, then keeping it to yourself and off the internet is EXACTLY what you should do. And what you should have done here.

Comment

Working...
                                X