Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
    BTN+ had a nice feed from Bemidji today. I wish that Kelly Schultz would have been the play-by-play commentator. I have always enjoyed hearing her announce the games from Bemidji. The commentator today was fine, other than he had no idea how to pronounce our players' names. I finally tweeted to let him know that our #21 is not "La MAN She ah" but "La Mahn TEE ah" but he either didn't get the tweet or ignored it. We'll see if it improves tomorrow. Wish we were there but had too much going on this week.
    Kelly is great!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
      BTN+ had a nice feed from Bemidji today. I wish that Kelly Schultz would have been the play-by-play commentator. I have always enjoyed hearing her announce the games from Bemidji. The commentator today was fine, other than he had no idea how to pronounce our players' names. I finally tweeted to let him know that our #21 is not "La MAN She ah" but "La Mahn TEE ah" but he either didn't get the tweet or ignored it. We'll see if it improves tomorrow. Wish we were there but had too much going on this week.
      Kelly Schultz often mentions that "Schultzie" will be doing the broadcast of the men's game later that day, etc. I'm pretty sure that was "Schultzie" we heard today, and I'm guessing that they are married.

Comment

• The weekend went as one would have hoped, though BSU would not go away in game 2. I guess I was needlessly worried about UW facing Hogenson LOL. Great to see Wattage with some goals where mama keeps the cookies, a great way for her to close out the first half of the season. MJ was looking for some scoring a balance, this weekend he got it. WOW line had 4 goals, WPS had 8 and WSS had 1.

Now the long break until #4 Q comes to town. This will be the most fascinating series of the year for UW and for the W vs E discussion.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Now the long break until #4 Q comes to town. This will be the most fascinating series of the year for UW and for the W vs E discussion.
          Quinnipiac supposedly has the 6th rated Strength of Schedule according to RPI. Taking a look at it...The first 13 games they had one series against a ranked apponent (#9 at the time Providence) who isn't ranked now and a game against Yale who wasn't ranked at the time but now is. It includes 4 games against NEWHA...Games against Maine, Providence (two ties), and Connecticut from Hockey Least plus games against powerhouses Union, Brown and RPI. Their best wins are against Yale (2) and against Colgate (1). Just as contrast, Minnesota has 11 games against top 10 teams (7 aginst top 6 teams).

How is that the 6th ranked Strength of Schedule? Putting on your Western Elitist hat, where do you think Quinnipiac would be if they were in the WCHA. Ahead of UMD and Minnesota? Highly unlikely IMO...
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• This is also mentioned in the Olympic thread, but I thought I would put it here as well. Lacey Eden and Britta Curl have been cut from the US Olympic team. I'm assuming neither come back to UW for the 2nd semester and will wait till next year but you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
              This is also mentioned in the Olympic thread, but I thought I would put it here as well. Lacey Eden and Britta Curl have been cut from the US Olympic team. I'm assuming neither come back to UW for the 2nd semester and will wait till next year but you never know.
              Bummer. Eden, Curl and Buchbinder are a heck of a recruiting class. I think they can practice with the team 2nd semester, if so that is a great player development tool right there. At least they got cut early enough to register for classes this upcoming semester.

Comment

• I wonder if Eden is a possible transfer portal back to from where she came, Princeton, I think?
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  I wonder if Eden is a possible transfer portal back to from where she came, Princeton, I think?
                  While I guess anything is possible, I wouldn't think that would happen. She never started at Princeton and has now spent a semester playing (quite well I might add) for the best program in the country. During that time she has established relationships with the UW players, coaches etc and can get through the disappointment of being cut from the Olympics with 2 other Badgers that are going through the same disappointment. If it is about academics, Wisconsin isn't Ivy league but it considered one of the best universities in the world per the 2022 US News rankings (Princeton is 16th and UW is 52nd).

I certainly have no inside info but I would be surprised if Eden isn't wearing the swoosh W on her jersey next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                    I wonder if Eden is a possible transfer portal back to from where she came, Princeton, I think?
                    I suppose if she was in love with an Ivy league degree she could, but UW's degree is also top notch and she's almost guaranteed to be in the frozen 4 the next 4 years, I'm not sure why you'd want to leave that. Plus MJ gave her an opportunity to play when she was shut down and her play at UW got her noticed for the National program, so she I would hope feel a sense of loyalty to UW for this. And Watts Bonzo said.

So UW gets 2 more years out of Curl, 4 out of Lacy and 1 out of Buchbinder. WOW.

Comment

and her play at UW got her noticed for the National program
                      She had already been on a few rosters for the U-18 National program...

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        She had already been on a few rosters for the U-18 National program...
                        Sure but stepping right in an lighting the lamp didn't hurt either.

Comment

• Congratulations to Wisconsin on another national title.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Congratulations to Wisconsin on another national title.

Thanks. Man it was a struggle! All the "sweeter" maybe, but I would have been A-OK with a boring cakewalk. VERY happy for the players and the coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Thanks. Man it was a struggle! All the "sweeter" maybe, but I would have been A-OK with a boring cakewalk. VERY happy for the players and the coaches.
                              Watts a great outcome, to finally crack the code! All the close calls reminded me of MJ's drought from 11 to 19; so many great players on great teams but they just could not get over the hump. Rettke's role reminded me of Pankowski's role, the driving forces to natties. Neither of them were to be denied. You could just tell. You could feel it.

And Sheffield's demeanor was a lot like MJ's, not running around thumping his own chest, going crazy with energy. I saw a great video of him just sitting on the bench, quietly absorbing the moment. He's truly a good guy. I hope the floodgates open now and they can ring up some more in the next few years.

Comment

Watts a great outcome, to finally crack the code! All the close calls reminded me of MJ's drought from 11 to 19; so many great players on great teams but they just could not get over the hump. Rettke's role reminded me of Pankowski's role, the driving forces to natties. Neither of them were to be denied. You could just tell. You could feel it.

And Sheffield's demeanor was a lot like MJ's, not running around thumping his own chest, going crazy with energy. I saw a great video of him just sitting on the bench, quietly absorbing the moment. He's truly a good guy. I hope the floodgates open now and they can ring up some more in the next few years.
                                They're losing a three-time first team All-American setter, a two-time second team A-A libero, and the only ever five-time first team A-A and the national player of the year; I think there's a chance they *might* not be as good next year. LOL

People are gonna need to adjust their expectations.

They'll be good, they might even be able to push Nebraska for the B1G championship with a bit of luck. But Nebraska is gonna be really, really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X