X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    The new head coach at LIU is Badger Kelly Nash!

One more excuse to post her OT goal to win the WCHA tournament in 2011. (I love her 'bat flip'.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YpSElHxJk
    Watts a great pinch by the D there, then took it down the boards and centered it to Nash. Great play.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    The new head coach at LIU is Badger Kelly Nash!

One more excuse to post her OT goal to win the WCHA tournament in 2011. (I love her 'bat flip'.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YpSElHxJk

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    I was wondering how Maddie Posick's game was going to translate into playing professional hockey in Sweden, being a 4th line player at WI, so I started following the team on Twitter. Turn's out she's playing Backer instead of Forward. That makes more sense. Pettet and Mauermann are also on the team. The only other player I recognize on the roster is Tatum Skaggs, who also has a WI connection.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by Patricio View Post

I would have expected that her choices for college would have included some of the top programs given her history at NAHA. Simply curious to know if any of these also recruited her and her reasons for choosing Penn State. It may well be that winning titles is not her major priority/value for which I would give her kudos.

Got it, thanks!
    Like you I assume she was recruited many places and is simply breaking the mold (a bit- Penn State is starting to get more of these U18 national team players).

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

I would have expected that her choices for college would have included some of the top programs given her history at NAHA. Simply curious to know if any of these also recruited her and her reasons for choosing Penn State. It may well be that winning titles is not her major priority/value for which I would give her kudos.
    I'm a little hesitant, because I could only hear bits of the conversation, but if I overheard correctly, a couple of her relatives were talking about her centering a line instead of being a winger, and how she or they would have preferred to have her playing on the outside instead. And if I heard them correctly, one them had had much the same conversation earlier with Frosty, and he completely agreed with them. So one could infer that Frosty was very much aware of her abilities, and likely tried to get her to Minn, etc.

And there had been a relative who's a Penn State grad?

Leave a comment:

• Patricio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Curious what you mean about whether anyone else bothered to recruit Janecke? Not being snarky, just trying to understand.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by BadgerPete View Post
    I believe Potter and Murphy don't join until 23-24. They aren't in the seven newcomers article from this year.
    HA! Potter is a 23-24. So is Murphy. Even better when they replace Lama and Buchbinder. I'm so excited I'm losing my mind. Too much thinner last night. Thanks for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    I went to the US-Finland game last night. Finland was overmatched, but their goalie played very well and kept them more or less in the game until the final 6 minute or so. Of the US players, I believe Potter was the hands down best one on D. She was fast, aggressive, played like a F at times, and solid at D. She will be a great addition to the 23-24 D.

On O, Laila Edwards clearly will be a force to deal with, and I hope they position her around the crease a lot - her size makes her hard to deal with. But the top O player last night was Tessa Janecke who showed great speed, a scary shot, and focused aggressiveness. Given her history at NAHA, I found myself wondering if anyone other than Penn State (where she is headed) bothered to recruit her. Bucky will need to pay special attention to her in the opening weekend of the coming season.

I was not planning on going to the games again until the championship one, but now am thinking of going to the Canada game tomorrow to see if Janeke and Potter can replicate last night’s performances
    Curious what you mean about whether anyone else bothered to recruit Janecke? Not being snarky, just trying to understand.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    I went to the US-Finland game last night. Finland was overmatched, but their goalie played very well and kept them more or less in the game until the final 6 minute or so. Of the US players, I believe Potter was the hands down best one on D. She was fast, aggressive, played like a F at times, and solid at D. She will be a great addition to the 23-24 D.

On O, Laila Edwards clearly will be a force to deal with, and I hope they position her around the crease a lot - her size makes her hard to deal with. But the top O player last night was Tessa Janecke who showed great speed, a scary shot, and focused aggressiveness. Given her history at NAHA, I found myself wondering if anyone other than Penn State (where she is headed) bothered to recruit her. Bucky will need to pay special attention to her in the opening weekend of the coming season.

I was not planning on going to the games again until the championship one, but now am thinking of going to the Canada game tomorrow to see if Janeke and Potter can replicate last night’s performances
    Janecke also had a goal Monday vs Sweden. But Monday, Hall and Edwards were at least her equal, and last night Edwards that again. And Kirsten Simms has had a couple good nights feeding them.

But yes, I'm happy that Janecke will be in the CHA and the WCHA.

(There were so many "team Janecke" t-shirts around me last night, I asked where I went to pick mine up.)

Leave a comment:

• Patricio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BadgerPete
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I am beyond excited for the D corps this season. Potter and Murphy are legit step right in and you won't notice anything go wrong D. Edwards and LaMa return, Buchbinder and KK return from the Olympic program, and Jungels is clearly in the same boat as Potter and Murphy. The only true stay at home D are Edwards and Buchbinder. The rest all have offensive juju. This is the best D corps UW has ever had. I'm not sure the opposing team will ever possess the puck in the UW zone. Of the other returning D, does Kotlowski beat any of these Fr players out?

I hope UW F's can score some goals.
    I believe Potter and Murphy don't join until 23-24. They aren't in the seven newcomers article from this year.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I am beyond excited for the D corps this season. Potter and Murphy are legit step right in and you won't notice anything go wrong D. Edwards and LaMa return, Buchbinder and KK return from the Olympic program, and Jungels is clearly in the same boat as Potter and Murphy. The only true stay at home D are Edwards and Buchbinder. The rest all have offensive juju. This is the best D corps UW has ever had. I'm not sure the opposing team will ever possess the puck in the UW zone. Of the other returning D, does Kotlowski beat any of these Fr players out?

The sinners will start to look like bc with both defensemen below the top edge of the faceoff circle in the offensive zone. What could go wrong there?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BadgerPete
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

LaBahn has a popcorn popper with a sales table next to it, away from the crowd at the small main concession space (and each can cause its own traffic jam on the concourse), and as best I know, besides regular sizes etc, there is an 'all you can eat, free refills' bucket option. So that's gotta be a win for LaBahn.
    The all-you-can-eat popcorn bucket at LaBahn and the Chocolate Shoppe ice cream stand, both separate from the primary concession stand, have both more than made up for the deficiencies in the options over the years. Particularly for families coming to the game, the popcorn has always been a huge hit. (That said, the section 2 after the Canada-Finland game was a popcorn laden war zone.)

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    I have not visited the concessions at LaBahn. Even without an in person comparison I emphatically endorse this opinion. The food choices and quality of the food inside the arena at Ridder is a major black eye. They do not even have the concession basic at every high school arena I have ever been to, a popcorn popper. It is embarrassing.
    It’s odd how venues screw this up. A couple years ago my family went to a Beauts game in Buffalo when they were at Harbor Center. They were selling beer but didn’t really have food for kids. A popcorn popper is a win for LaBahn lol, and it sounds like Ridder needs to get it together!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X