Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

    I see UW with 12 F as well. Will Picard be fully healthy to start the season? Some knee injuries take over 12 months to heal. Would Holloway improve more by playing a lot at SSM or practicing with UW and planning to RS but be that ace in the hole depth-wise in case of a rash of injuries? I show 8 D, could one of them play F decent enough in a pinch on the 4th line?

    Last year UW was ultimately torpedoed by transfers out. The porthole cutoff is 5/1. Today is 5/1. News may not travel fast of any other players entering the porthole.
    Picard was practicing with the team at the end of the year so I believe it’s safe to assume she will start the season 100%

    In my opinion regarding Holloway I cannot realistically see the coaching staff bringing her in next year either. She has not progressed as player as much as expected since her commitment (She failed to make Shattucks top team and any USA camps this past year). She was a stand out as a young player but now you hardly notice her on the ice.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
      In my opinion regarding Holloway I cannot realistically see the coaching staff bringing her in next year either. She has not progressed as player as much as expected since her commitment (She failed to make Shattucks top team and any USA camps this past year). She was a stand out as a young player but now you hardly notice her on the ice.
      Ouch. Is this the kind of deal where UW would bail on her? I don't recall MJ not bringing in a player who he committed to who had plateaued.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

        Ouch. Is this the kind of deal where UW would bail on her? I don't recall MJ not bringing in a player who he committed to who had plateaued.
        Since the player is the only in state recruit in the class I don’t see MJ bailing. There aren’t many good players from WI and he prob has some type of loyalty to them, or at least to the Mad Caps program.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
          Since the player is the only in state recruit in the class I don’t see MJ bailing. There aren’t many good players from WI and he prob has some type of loyalty to them, or at least to the Mad Caps program.
          He does develop players. Look at Maddy Rowe and Maddy Posick. Their Fr years they looked like they didn't belong, but by their Sr years they were playing important roles on the team. In MJ I trust.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

          Comment


          • Holes to fill a plenty in the F lines...It's kinda crazy to think there are only 6 F returning from last year's team. There is also a huge personality shift in the team as well. It's a little surprising with 8 d on the team that no one decided to leave for playing time somewhere else. The writing is on the wall that Harvey and Jungels are going to see a lot of ice. It's going to be interesting.

            ??? O'B ???
            Wheeler ???? SS
            ??? GS ???
            Woz ??? Picard
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

            Comment


            • As for the number of Ds for next year sitting at 8, it is likely MJ would like to have 7Ds in the event of an injury or illness (e.g., a case of covid). Buchbinder and LaMantia will exhaust their eligibility this coming season only Potter is scheduled to be coming in for 23-24. So he may choose to redshirt either Helgesen or Toft and keep the other as the 7th D.

              If my numbers for ongoing annual rosters are correct and Potter does come, that will make 7Ds for 23-24 again. That will be Kayla Edwards’s final season (if she uses her covid year) which will leave 6Ds (Koslowski is listed as redshirt Sophomore for the 24-25 season and has a covid year option) so MJ may want to add an incoming D to stay at 7. The 25-26 season needs multiple recruits at both F and D to reach desired numbers but there is time to address that via recruiting and transfers.
              Last edited by Patricio; 05-04-2022, 07:01 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Holes to fill a plenty in the F lines...It's kinda crazy to think there are only 6 F returning from last year's team. There is also a huge personality shift in the team as well. It's a little surprising with 8 d on the team that no one decided to leave for playing time somewhere else. The writing is on the wall that Harvey and Jungels are going to see a lot of ice. It's going to be interesting.

                ??? O'B ???
                Wheeler ???? SS
                ??? GS ???
                Woz ??? Picard
                Looks like a good 'ol hunk of Wisconsin cheese. Might as well forget about four and just go with two lines.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                Comment


                • Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Looks like a good 'ol hunk of Wisconsin cheese. Might as well forget about four and just go with two lines.
                  I like cheese, though not a huge swiss fan. I prefer aged brick, muenster, havatri and extra sharp cheddar. These are my 4 lines on the cheese hockey team. Muenster and havarti are great on pizza, they are more melty than mozzarella, stay creamier longer as the pizza cools and have more flavor. I saw on Wisconsin Foodie that brick is also a good choice for pizza, ironically on Detroit style pizza, which to me is a knockoff of Chicago style with brick instead of motz. The high butterfat content of the brick makes the bottom and the edges of the pizza very crispy because as it melts the oil in the cheese fries the bottom of the pie. Interesting concept.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                    I like cheese, though not a huge swiss fan. I prefer aged brick, muenster, havatri and extra sharp cheddar. These are my 4 lines on the cheese hockey team. Muenster and havarti are great on pizza, they are more melty than mozzarella, stay creamier longer as the pizza cools and have more flavor. I saw on Wisconsin Foodie that brick is also a good choice for pizza, ironically on Detroit style pizza, which to me is a knockoff of Chicago style with brick instead of motz. The high butterfat content of the brick makes the bottom and the edges of the pizza very crispy because as it melts the oil in the cheese fries the bottom of the pie. Interesting concept.
                    This is for everyone, but will be obvious why I'm saying it here to Tim:

                    In 2018, I had a 'small' heart attack, even though I've been a runner my whole life. And when you have a heart attack, you get three doctors: a regular cardiologist, who worries about the plumbing; an electro-cardiologist, who worries about the electrical rhythms of the heart; and you get a 'preventative' cardiologist, who tries to help figure out why the attack happened, and how to prevent another from happening.

                    At my first meeting with the preventative cardiologist, she asked me a bunch of questions and listened to me and my 'story' for maybe a half-hour. And at the end of that, she said the #1 main reason I had had a heart attack was I was a male in America over the age of 50. Period. Full stop. (I think a big factor was that when I was twenty I ate like I was a twenty year old runner - pasta, pizza, M&Ms etc etc - and then for the next 40 years, I continued to eat like a twenty year old runner.) She said there is a good deal of opinion among cardiologists that trying to sort out which 50 year old males should be taking statins to lower their cholesterol and which don't need to isn't worth the effort and risk: that on your 50th birthday, you should get a card in the mail from your doctor, "Happy Birthday! Here's your prescription for statins". My cholesterol was not bad. It wasn't great, and it wasn't as good as one might have expected for a life-long runner. But it was always below 200, and 'the rations' were pretty good.

                    If your LDL is above 75, you are building up arterial plaque which will ultimately cause problems. If it is below 75, you can start to reverse the build-up. And statins are VERY effective in reducing you cholesterol levels, particularly your LDL. The farther above 75, the worse; the farther below, the better.

                    My father owned a couple pizza restaurants, my entire life. They are still operating, and are still in the family, in Green Bay and Neenah. Trust me, I like pizza. But I can't eat it like I used to. And (besides making my father roll over in his grave at the idea of anything besides mozzarella) the cheeses you mention (besides being great) are all higher in fat and cholesterol that mozzarella. If you're gonna eat cheese, mozz is about the least bad choice.

                    Get your cholesterol checked. SOON. And talk to your doctor about statins.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      But I can't eat it like I used to. And (besides making my father roll over in his grave at the idea of anything besides mozzarella) the cheeses you mention (besides being great) are all higher in fat and cholesterol that mozzarella. If you're gonna eat cheese, mozz is about the least bad choice.

                      Get your cholesterol checked. SOON. And talk to your doctor about statins.
                      For lunch today I had a muenster grilled cheese....on asiago and garlic bread LOL. So the creamier the cheese, the fattier it is; makes sense.

                      Actually I hardly ever eat pizza, maybe once a month. I get my cholesterol checked annually, I have for the last 20 years, I'm 53. It's borderline high, hence I don't eat a lot of pizza or cheesy things in general, though today I went all in. I'm taking red yeast rice pills to help drive the numbers down a bit. I'm due for a test in a few months. It scares me that your Dr thinks a one size fits all thing works for satins. The wife also as almost high cholesterol. She sees a medically trained homeopath Dr who looked at the types of cholesterol in the blood stream. They either are jagged/hard or soft/puffy. The jagged clog the arteries, the puffy ones just flow around almost harmlessly. Most of her's are the puffy soft type that are relatively harmless, so even though the number is highish, it's nothing to drug up for. Mine are a bit more tilted towards the jagged ones, but my numbers are lower than hers. That being said, we do eat high fiber and veggie laden meals with lean protein and fruit. Processed foods, artificial colors/flavors/sweeteners and simple starchy things are a no go in our house. And we both do the red yeast rice.

                      While were on a health kick, if you are over 50, get a colon cancer screening. I did cologuard, which I do believe was developed by UW. Former UW men's hockey player and all around great guy Rob Andringa died from colon cancer a few years ago, he was maybe 50? Get screened, it can save your life.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                        For lunch today I had a muenster grilled cheese....on asiago and garlic bread LOL. So the creamier the cheese, the fattier it is; makes sense.

                        Actually I hardly ever eat pizza, maybe once a month. I get my cholesterol checked annually, I have for the last 20 years, I'm 53. It's borderline high, hence I don't eat a lot of pizza or cheesy things in general, though today I went all in. I'm taking red yeast rice pills to help drive the numbers down a bit. I'm due for a test in a few months. It scares me that your Dr thinks a one size fits all thing works for satins. The wife also as almost high cholesterol. She sees a medically trained homeopath Dr who looked at the types of cholesterol in the blood stream. They either are jagged/hard or soft/puffy. The jagged clog the arteries, the puffy ones just flow around almost harmlessly. Most of her's are the puffy soft type that are relatively harmless, so even though the number is highish, it's nothing to drug up for. Mine are a bit more tilted towards the jagged ones, but my numbers are lower than hers. That being said, we do eat high fiber and veggie laden meals with lean protein and fruit. Processed foods, artificial colors/flavors/sweeteners and simple starchy things are a no go in our house. And we both do the red yeast rice.

                        While were on a health kick, if you are over 50, get a colon cancer screening. I did cologuard, which I do believe was developed by UW. Former UW men's hockey player and all around great guy Rob Andringa died from colon cancer a few years ago, he was maybe 50? Get screened, it can save your life.
                        It is *exactly* the hard/soft puffy stuff she was talking about when she said there is a good deal of thought that trying to sort out and figure who is at risk and who isn't, who really needs statins and who *might* be able to get by without is just not worth the risk of being wrong. Statins twenty years ago were not specifically designed to account for those factors; statins available now are, again, very effective at reducing the kinds of cholesterol that does the most damage.

                        And I just went through this with my older sister: a "medically trained homeopath Dr" is almost certainly NOT a medical doctor; they call themselves an "ND" and not an "MD". Just as likely, the school where they were "medically trained" is not what one would normally thing of as a 'medical school'. Research their background, and do so deeply: what it is, where it is, what organization gave them their supposed "accreditation" and how legit is that organization, etc etc

                        (Cologuard came back 'positive', so I had a full colonoscopy. They found one small polyp, meaning the test was correct and accurate, but the doctor who performed the colonoscopy sounded almost annoyed that he went to all the trouble only to find such a piddling little polyp. :-)
                        Last edited by robertearle; 05-05-2022, 02:47 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          And I just went through this with my older sister: a "medically trained homeopath Dr" is almost certainly NOT a medical doctor; they call themselves an "ND" and not an "MD". Just as likely, the school where they were "medically trained" is not what one would normally thing of as a 'medical school'. Research their background, and do so deeply: what it is, where it is, what organization gave them their supposed "accreditation" and how legit is that organization, etc etc
                          This is a fun conversation.....My wife's homeopath is a fully trained and licensed medical Dr (UW trained). She (the Dr) got disheartened that the "normal" Dr.'s don't fix the cause of the problem, they just drug the symptom and that they are driven by getting you in and out as quickly as possible as they get paid by how many patients they see. Every quarterly appointment (or sooner as needed) my wife has is 1 hour long with her. I go along because our health is a team effort and I want to understand Watts she is saying, and we can question things and openly discuss. The wife still has our "normal" Dr (who was a classmate of this homeo Dr ironically) in the UW system too in case an insured event occurs. This other Dr. we pay out of pocket since she has an independent practice. I am very skeptical of the alternative medicine field especially with the internet everyone is a Dr LOL and I have been very satisfied with this Dr.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Looks like a good 'ol hunk of Wisconsin cheese. Might as well forget about four and just go with two lines.
                            Katey Stone will approve!

                            Comment


                            • It has been a while since Webster registered with the portal. Anyone heard anything about possible candidates for her services?

                              Given the quality of her as a player, I would expect that she would be getting multiple offers from a number of the better teams. Of course, the explanation for the lack of information about transfer options may be she simply is sifting through multiple offers before making a final selection. But, I am wondering if other teams are a bit hesitant about adding her to their rosters given the alleged suggestion by MJ that she look to the portal due to “off ice issues”. I am assuming it isn’t academic issues since academic progress is a condition to retain eligibility to play and should be relatively easy to resolve.

                              Like Watts, Webster is desirable given her qualities as a player. However, Watts sought to transfer from BC because she had become dissatisfied with changes in the fit of her style of play with BC’s system. The situation with Webster sounds different and more serious and difficult to resolve mutually. If so, the lack of any information may indicate that other teams want to clarify the exact nature of the issues before extending offers.

                              This may sound odd, even ridiculous, but I find myself hoping that the lack of information about her transfer may be due to the fact she and MJ continue to try to resolve the issues to their mutual satisfaction. Basically, MJ made it clear that the off-ice issues had to be resolved to his satisfaction (hopefully hers as well) if she wished to remain at the UW. He is willing to continue to work on a solution but, should this prove impossible, registering for the portal as a precaution would give her the option to play elsewhere this coming season. In all likelihood, pure fantasy. But, what the hell, what can it hurt?

                              Comment


                              • But, I am wondering if other teams are a bit hesitant about adding her to their rosters given the alleged suggestion by MJ that she look to the portal due to “off ice issues”. I am assuming it isn’t academic issues since academic progress is a condition to retain eligibility to play and should be relatively easy to resolve.[/FONT][/FONT]

                                This may sound odd, even ridiculous, but I find myself hoping that the lack of information about her transfer may be due to the fact she and MJ continue to try to resolve the issues to their mutual satisfaction. Basically, MJ made it clear that the off-ice issues had to be resolved to his satisfaction (hopefully hers as well) if she wished to remain at the UW. He is willing to continue to work on a solution but, should this prove impossible, registering for the portal as a precaution would give her the option to play elsewhere this coming season. In all likelihood, pure fantasy. But, what the hell, what can it hurt?
                                [/QUOTE]

                                I'm still a bit in the dark about why we think off-ice issues somehow resulted in MJ asking MW to resolve these issues or transfer. Is this just conjecture because the usual reasons (homesick, academic issues, not enough playing time) aren't in play so we are landing on conjecture? Or is this actually information coming through a reasonably-reliable pipeline?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X