Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DDad16 View Post

    Is the Simms you are listing as a Sophomore Kirsten Simms? If so, she will be a Freshman next year, right? Is there another Simms, maybe a transfer?
    23-24

    Comment


    • On some recent questions about roster numbers.
      • The Simms DDad16 asked about is Kirsten Simms.
      • For Wheel Snip Celly, Grace Shirley is the missing F forward from his list. She has two years of eligibility remaining (don’t forget the covid year if she chooses to claim it).
      • On date of commitment, a number of players were listed as committed to the UW before their junior years in high school on the list I follow. Ones I found include Hall (2019), Vasseur (2018), McNaughton (2018), Potter (2019), Holloway (2019), Harvey (2017), Simms (2018). These probably were verbal based on impressions of the program, not necessarily the result of recruiting contacts by the UW staff. But they are listed as dates for their commitments which have panned out. So the lack of any commitments for 25-26 may reflect adherence to restrictions contacts by coaches before June 15th of a player’s junior year in high school and/or players taking more time to evaluate their preferences. I was unaware the restriction on coaches and my thanks to Sieve1 for this information. Given the recent increase in the number of the programs that are legitimate annual contenders for the national title, players deliberating longer about their choice also is reasonable as a causative factor.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post

        23-24
        Details, details... I missed that one! :-)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Patricio View Post
          On some recent questions about roster numbers.
          • The Simms DDad16 asked about is Kirsten Simms.
          • For Wheel Snip Celly, Grace Shirley is the missing F forward from his list. She has two years of eligibility remaining (don’t forget the covid year if she chooses to claim it).
          • On date of commitment, a number of players were listed as committed to the UW before their junior years in high school on the list I follow. Ones I found include Hall (2019), Vasseur (2018), McNaughton (2018), Potter (2019), Holloway (2019), Harvey (2017), Simms (2018). These probably were verbal based on impressions of the program, not necessarily the result of recruiting contacts by the UW staff. But they are listed as dates for their commitments which have panned out. So the lack of any commitments for 25-26 may reflect adherence to restrictions contacts by coaches before June 15th of a player’s junior year in high school and/or players taking more time to evaluate their preferences. I was unaware the restriction on coaches and my thanks to Sieve1 for this information. Given the recent increase in the number of the programs that are legitimate annual contenders for the national title, players deliberating longer about their choice also is reasonable as a causative factor.
          The ncaa changed recruiting rules in spring 2019 and established the no contact until June 15 jr year rule. (You can google to read more about it) Because everyone knew the rule change was coming there was a flurry of recruiting activity by UW, UM, BC and many others in 2019 to nail down 2022s & 23s. (Some of those early commits flipped before signing day) Once the rule change went into effect the 2022s were allowed to be contacted on June 15, 2020 (not ideal since they couldn’t visit schools or meet coaches during pandemic) and the 23s were allowed to be contacted June 15, 2021. Again, not ideal due to the explosion in transfers, gap years, etc. Who knows how things will go this June when thr 24s are allowed to be contacted….but that should explain the drop off in commits.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

            Who might that be?
            I think they are referring to Kathy Pippy. But I don’t entirely understand the Selects and what that all is. Just that there are recruiting camps all over the US and maybe a team as well?

            feel free to enlighten

            edit: if she’s the one credited with growing girls hockey in Pittsburgh can she please come do the same in cleveland. There is starter hockey and there is “destined for the Olympics” hockey but we could really use something in the middle. /sadness
            Last edited by Lindsay; 04-21-2022, 09:31 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              I think they are referring to Kathy Pippy.
              Interesting website she has. She looks to be more than a just a potential UW influencer though.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                Interesting website she has. She looks to be more than a just a potential UW influencer though.
                She is pretty much Oz in women's hockey. Has a red phone to every coach. Started the Selects teams and BK Selects in Rochester. Penguins Elite in Pittsburgh. Now has her own program. I'd call her a kingmaker but maybe queenmaker is more appropriate.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

                  She is pretty much Oz in women's hockey. Has a red phone to every coach. Started the Selects teams and BK Selects in Rochester. Penguins Elite in Pittsburgh. Now has her own program. I'd call her a kingmaker but maybe queenmaker is more appropriate.
                  Sounds like the Winny Brodt of the East.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

                    Sounds like the Winny Brodt of the East.
                    Far from it lol…she never played the game…just filled a need & built a business on it. Savvy businesswoman but not an athlete. Similar to some “family agents” on the men’s side.

                    Comment


                    • Thanks to Sieve1 for the info on NCAA recruiting rules. Very useful to know. On another rule, has anyone heard anything about a redshirt for Picard?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Patricio View Post
                        Thanks to Sieve1 for the info on NCAA recruiting rules. Very useful to know. On another rule, has anyone heard anything about a redshirt for Picard?
                        I had heard there was a high probability of it, but nothing official

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post

                          I had heard there was a high probability of it, but nothing official
                          More correctly, "medical hardship year", or at least "medical redshirt".

                          (As opposed to simply "redshirt". When you get into the weeds of the NCAA rules, etc., it makes a difference. Right now, the Big Ten and NCAA volleyball world is waiting on a decision of a Nebraska player petitioning for an extra year where it will likely make *the* difference.)

                          Comment


                          • There’s a slow train coming with more news headed in the opposite direction...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by clubaclub View Post
                              There’s a slow train coming with more news headed in the opposite direction...
                              Someone is leaving......way to ruin my weekend.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by clubaclub View Post
                                There’s a slow train coming with more news headed in the opposite direction...
                                Webster!?!?!?!?!?!
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X