Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Sieve1;n3724269]
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    If Kronish or Gervais was that caliber one of them should have played.
    I don't know Watts to think about this statement. Using this line of thought, how to you look at the Rigsby/ARD dynamic? When Rigsby was hurt, ARD looked really good. I remember thinking that ARD may be better than Rigsby at the time. Kronish may be 95% as good as Blair now, and with more coaching, offseason work, and game playing time she could easily exceed Blair's performance, which would be great. Players do develop over time (not all but many do).

And I'm not down on Blair's performance this season. She was hung out to dry this season more times than ARD was her whole career.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• [QUOTE=Timothy A;n3724400]
      Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

I don't know Watts to think about this statement. Using this line of thought, how to you look at the Rigsby/ARD dynamic? When Rigsby was hurt, ARD looked really good. I remember thinking that ARD may be better than Rigsby at the time. Kronish may be 95% as good as Blair now, and with more coaching, offseason work, and game playing time she could easily exceed Blair's performance, which would be great. Players do develop over time (not all but many do).

And I'm not down on Blair's performance this season. She was hung out to dry this season more times than ARD was her whole career.
      I was commenting on why I think UW will be looking to bring in a transfer goalie (grad or otherwise) next year. I believe they will because, in my opinion, they don’t have an elite WCHA goalie on the roster. That’s just my opinion, nothing against any of the goalies currently on the roster. But when you’re used to having future Olympians in the net the standards are pretty high.

Comment

• Some concluding comments on my sentiments about USA Hockey and its approach to its quadrennial poaching of players from college teams for its Olympics women’s roster.
        There were 7 first time members of the women’s team this year. Four of those were to be on current rosters – UW’s Harvey, Zumwinkle and Murphy of MN, and Compher of BU. The other 3 had graduated – Dunne in ’20, Scamurra in ’17, and Harmon in ’18. Bell of Duluth, Buchbinder, Eden, and Curl were cut (possibly others?), and Harvey rarely played. Of those selected or cut, only Zumwinkle and Compher would have exhausted their eligibility if they had remained with their teams.

As I look at all of this, I have to ask if it really was necessary to poach anyone from their team rosters in order to add what turned out to be only 2 players that saw meaningful playing time? Can’t USA Hockey establish an ongoing vetting program to identify enough quality players who have completed their college careers to fill its roster? After all, it has 4 years between Olympics that include ongoing international tournaments to support such an effort. The preponderance of team members who have extended their playing careers by 5-10 years and more suggests there may be a sufficient continuing pool of former college players interested in extending their playing careers. Someone simply may have to take the time to identify them.

A special note. Cayla Barnes of BC also was on the previous Olympics team and received a red shirt for her first season at BC due to being “drafted” for that team after playing in 5 games. So, she may have a year of eligibility left - kind of like a covid year. Why not consider giving every who goes to the tryouts a “covid” year that would allow them to play in the second half of the season after being cut and retain the full year of eligibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
          Some concluding comments on my sentiments about USA Hockey and its approach to its quadrennial poaching of players from college teams for its Olympics women’s roster.
          There were 7 first time members of the women’s team this year. Four of those were to be on current rosters – UW’s Harvey, Zumwinkle and Murphy of MN, and Compher of BU. The other 3 had graduated – Dunne in ’20, Scamurra in ’17, and Harmon in ’18. Bell of Duluth, Buchbinder, Eden, and Curl were cut (possibly others?), and Harvey rarely played. Of those selected or cut, only Zumwinkle and Compher would have exhausted their eligibility if they had remained with their teams.

As I look at all of this, I have to ask if it really was necessary to poach anyone from their team rosters in order to add what turned out to be only 2 players that saw meaningful playing time? Can’t USA Hockey establish an ongoing vetting program to identify enough quality players who have completed their college careers to fill its roster? After all, it has 4 years between Olympics that include ongoing international tournaments to support such an effort. The preponderance of team members who have extended their playing careers by 5-10 years and more suggests there may be a sufficient continuing pool of former college players interested in extending their playing careers. Someone simply may have to take the time to identify them.

A special note. Cayla Barnes of BC also was on the previous Olympics team and received a red shirt for her first season at BC due to being “drafted” for that team after playing in 5 games. So, she may have a year of eligibility left - kind of like a covid year. Why not consider giving every who goes to the tryouts a “covid” year that would allow them to play in the second half of the season after being cut and retain the full year of eligibility?
          Bell didn't get cut, she played on the Canadian Gold Medal Team?

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Sure. But Mark Johnson can't ask his roster, "Does anyone know Lucy Morgan? Ask her if she'd like to come play here." I'm aware that goes on, particularly in other college sports. But everything that I've ever seen from Johnson tells me that he intends to run a clean program.
            https://www.instagram.com/p/CaXvd6qJ...dium=copy_link

Comment

• So Morgan and Blair are on the staff at Goalrobber hockey schools. Interesting and a big LOL. ARM must have known this to throw her name out there like that.
              Last edited by Timothy A; 03-14-2022, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                ARM must have known this to throw her name out there like that.
                Sieve1 brought her up, just not by name.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Sieve1 brought her up, just not by name.
                  So Johnson doesn't have to 'initiate' anything. North Dakota shuts down and Kristen Campbell calls Jackie Crum, who had recruited her prior. Then Blair calls her fried 'Soup' and asks how she likes playing at UW. Two years later, Morgan called her friend Blair, and ....

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    So Johnson doesn't have to 'initiate' anything. North Dakota shuts down and Kristen Campbell calls Jackie Crum, who had recruited her prior. Then Blair calls her fried 'Soup' and asks how she likes playing at UW. Two years later, Morgan called her friend Blair, and ....
                    Taking it back to Sieve 1's point, is Morgan a higher caliber than Blair? I don't know. Is she Soup better or ARD better? Probably not. MJ does like to have 4 goalies on the roster and he as a bigger roster next year, so I would not be shocked if he brought someone in. May the best goalie win, but I hope it's Kronish if it does happen. And that being said, is someone going to transfer without a strong assurance that they are getting the starting gig? We also have to remember there are plenty of goalies out there who he did recruit that he did not get, so there are relationships out there. I could have swore I heard on the broadcast that he did recruit Frankel.

Comment

• Todd Milewski's story in the paper this morning makes it sound like a 'done deal' that Natalie Buchbinder will be back next year. I figured she would be, but it's nice to get some measure of confirmation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
                        Some concluding comments on my sentiments about USA Hockey and its approach to its quadrennial poaching of players from college teams for its Olympics women’s roster.

Is Mueller the only player that returned to NCAA hockey once the Olympics were done, and how does that affect her eligibility for the future ? Or is she a senior who is now finished NCAA because she came back to play approximately 1.5 months of college hockey?

Comment

• Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                          Is Mueller the only player that returned to NCAA hockey once the Olympics were done, and how does that affect her eligibility for the future ? Or is she a senior who is now finished NCAA because she came back to play approximately 1.5 months of college hockey?
                          A lot of players were like Mueller, and played NCAA in the fall, left during the Olympics, and returned in time for the postseason. Even new D-I program St. Thomas had a couple. All of those players used up a year of eligibility this season. Mueller should have a year left, because of the Covid year.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Thanks ARM, I was just curious. I didn’t realize she was with Northeastern before Olympics, unlike some Canadian and USA NCAA ladies who are with their national team for pretty much the entire NCAA season with centralization, camp, the actual Olympic Games etc. Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                              Thanks ARM, I was just curious. I didn’t realize she was with Northeastern before Olympics, unlike some Canadian and USA NCAA ladies who are with their national team for pretty much the entire NCAA season with centralization, camp, the actual Olympic Games etc. Cheers
                              If the US and Canada stopped the silly centralization thing, this problem would go away. Is it really fair that all the countries don't operate their programs the same?

Comment

• I agree 100 %

Comment

Working...
                                X