Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    4-3 Lakers, final.

Lakers make it 4-2 early in the third when Perreault skates the puck the lengths of the ice and then dishes to Pedersen inside the offensive zone blue line. Little move and a wrist shot by Pedersen and the defender gets her first college goal.

Lakers withstand the Penn State push for most the period, Heisings line, they sure get lots of time of possession. Vasko’s line contains them a lot but whew. Nystrom fantastic third. 1st star in my books and it’s not even close.

Penn State pulls the goalie with 3:21 left, again working from super down low to the right of the goalie, they get a pass across the crease into a melee, and Connolly gets her first of the season to make it 4-3.

Like 90 more seconds of madness after that. The Lakers get the puck in the offensive zone for twenty plus seconds with the empty net, can’t score, one more push from the Nittany Lions, Vasko gets a clear and that’s a wrap.

My 3 Laker stars:
    1- Nystrom .
    2- Perreault, great skating with the puck today.
    3- the defense showing their offensive side- Mortlock jumping in the play here and there, the point shot that led to Parks’ goal, Pedersen’s first.

Really fun game to watch. Tomorrow is on tv locally. And a costume party at the rink. :-)

Man, that sounds like it was a great game to watch. Looks like Penn State came ready to play, and that's great news, so I hope tomorrow is more of the same. Thanks for your detailed updates!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

Man, that sounds like it was a great game to watch. Looks like Penn State came ready to play, and that's great news, so I hope tomorrow is more of the same. Thanks for your detailed updates!
      You’re welcome! You know I love chattering here. :-) Penn state posted their goals
      on Twitter btw.

Comment

Penn State takes game 2 by a score of 3-0 with an empty netter. Penn were a different team than yesterday especially after first period. Mercy had a very strong first period but in the end were outshot by a wide margin. You can’t win games being outshot like that unless the hockey gods are on your side.
        Penn blocked shots like crazy and once again, even without the blocked shots, very few shots on net for mercy after many faceoff wins in the offensive zone.
        Last edited by slapshot willy; 11-01-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Keep your head up Lakers. October 30th when you got your first loss to an unranked team. Some stuff to work on for sure, as Slapshot indicated, but pumped for the next series.

Comment

Lakers move to 13-5-2 on the season defeating Cuse 3-0. Silvonen with the shut out and a career high 41 saves. Goals from Ste Croix, Vasko, and Upson.

Felt like Cuse was getting good shots and rebounds late in the game, and shots throughout, but they just never had anyone there with the right mix of timing and grit to bang in a rebound. Contrast that with the Lakers third goal where Boucher came off the wall and got the shot on net and Perreault and Upson both parked in front, flanked one on each side of the net looking to score, and doing so.

Offensive Play of the game was Vasko’s goal... somehow the Lakers got a three on one short handed, Pigeon fed the puck to Pedersen who was the high point of the triangle, she faked a one timer and dished it off tomVasko who one timed it in. I didn’t catch how the play developed but thought Pedersen’s little fake
            and dish was especially nice.

Lakers went up 1-0 early in the first but it was tightly contested first period and that’s when the defense especially shone I thought, blocking pucks, moving bodies and clearing pucks.

Big game tomorrow, last one of 2021.

Comment

Mercy Hurst is on a roll. Two wins in a row. Sisto is working his magic.
              Last edited by Reddington; 12-04-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...acuse-3-0.aspx

Hurst recap on the win. This is how crazy stats are this year: the article says the 2nd goal was scored by Pidgeon. She banged it in just in case but at the time the ref said it already went in on Vasko’s shot. Click thru to the scoring summary—> scoring summary says Vasko scored it. Scoring summary also doesn’t give credit to anyone for secondary assists. Are we to assume there were no secondary assists or the software can’t or doesn’t show them? I’m just a fan On a message board so cares how wrong I am, but lord help the people who actually try to write real articles.

Switching gears...I think Perrault might be the
                best or one of best passers on the Lakers. If you ever watch them , watch 34, real little playmaker. She had a play early in the game in the first, where she set up Upson all alone in front, Upson just kind of whiffed on it . Cuse got lucky there. I * think * Perreault is the assist leader so far this year in the CHA if we can trust the stats. Eye test says she’s a great passer, an example of a player who has gotten better and more assertive over her career.

Comment

LindSay you are spot on on stats being changed left and right after the staff goes back and watches the game tape.I have seen that a number or times this year already.

Your insight on less heralded players is usually spot on and I will have to watch more closely now that you have pointed out some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    LindSay you are spot on on stats being changed left and right after the staff goes back and watches the game tape.I have seen that a number or times this year already.

Your insight on less heralded players is usually spot on and I will have to watch more closely now that you have pointed out some things.
                    I know some changes happen after the fact and I support it as long as it’s factual! But I don’t know what it’s the “document of truth” this year. As for Hursts second goal - goal scorer might be in question, but there’s no way there wasn’t a secondary assist on it. Lol, what can you do.

I had the chance to watch a Hurst game live a few weeks back and was reminded what a different world it is watching live, the plays you see that don’t translate to a screen and can’t reasonably be caught given the limited media scene and fans paying attention. Truly a team sport...and the success of a team goes far beyond those captured correctly or not on a box score. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...acuse-3-0.aspx

Hurst recap on the win. This is how crazy stats are this year: the article says the 2nd goal was scored by Pidgeon. She banged it in just in case but at the time the ref said it already went in on Vasko’s shot. Click thru to the scoring summary—> scoring summary says Vasko scored it. Scoring summary also doesn’t give credit to anyone for secondary assists. Are we to assume there were no secondary assists or the software can’t or doesn’t show them? I’m just a fan On a message board so cares how wrong I am, but lord help the people who actually try to write real articles.
                      You’re 100 correct Lindsay re: the different stats situations this year and the different write ups of the same game. Hurst second goal was Vasko as puck did cross line before Pidgeon hit puck again. But Pidgeon definitely should have gotten an assist on the goal as it was a very nice 3 player passing play. How the ref or game review missed this is odd for sure.

Comment

3-1 Cuse final. Boohoo. Nice games by goaltender DeSmet and rest of Cuse.

Comment

Been awhile for any Mercyhurst posts. Big weekend coming up at Penn State. Both teams coming off a bye week last weekend (PS games were cancelled) so it should be an interesting matchup.

Line combinations, pp and pk will also be interesting for both teams. This weekend definitely will have a role in determining who might finish in first place and thus potentially hosting the CHA’s. Syracuse is also in the mix, it’ll be a wild next few weeks for sure.
                          Last edited by slapshot willy; 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

This week's Inside College Hockey America interview is with Mercyhurst freshman Vanessa Upson: https://www.spreaker.com/user/154500...the-cha-vaness

Comment

After getting swept by Penn State last weekend, the Lakers defeat RIT 5-1. Shots were 42-11 in favour of Mercyhurst. With Syracuse tying Penn, the Mercy win might help them in the season ending standings if the stars align in their favour the next couple of weeks and hopefully defeating RIT tomorrow. Not a 100% of sure if this, but it could be interesting as every game for Syracuse, Penn and Mercy are pretty big ones.

Comment

Mercy sweeps RIT, Cuse defeats and ties Penn State. CHA site says Mercyhurst and Penn tied for 2nd right now with win %, Syracuse in first. Cuse has two games left vs hurst, penn has two cha games vs RIT, mercy has 4 cha games left with Syracuse and Lindenwood.
                                Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X