X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDad16
    replied
    Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    Colgate announced that it is returning to campus on time. Students will be sent home just before Thanksgiving and do last week or two of classes on line before finals. No word on impact on hockey.
    I have seen announcements from several schools following this same logic. Not necessarily hockey related, but the school itself in general.

My daughter recently received a survey from her school asking the athletes what they would like to see for the upcoming season. Anywhere from a regular season with no changes, to no season at all. I'm sure most athletes are going to want to compete. Hopefully it isn't just a ploy to make the athletes feel like they have a voice. We'll see how things turn out.

Leave a comment:

• Rightnut
    replied
    Colgate announced that it is returning to campus on time. Students will be sent home just before Thanksgiving and do last week or two of classes on line before finals. No word on impact on hockey.

Leave a comment:

• Double Eagle
    replied
    https://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/...ity-athletics/

Bowdoin has shut down all Varsity sports for Fall and Winter.

Leave a comment:

• Rightnut
    replied
    Lafayette told its students that they are returning to campus as scheduled in August and leaving at Thanksgiving. Given that its a Patriot League school, as is Colgate, and is similar in size and fairly remote locations like many ECAC schools, I think this is a good sign. I assume that they have at least had discussions with other similarly situated schools.

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio
    replied
    This article has me both more optimistic and more concerned about college sports in general:
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...virus-pandemic

Reason for optimism: If students are not on campus and sport basically don't run as normal (namely football and basketball), it will shock the system so much that the entire college model is in question. Hence everyone has a very big incentive to get things 'back to normal' from this fall.

Reason for concern is obvious - the financial impact already suffered mixed with uncertainty going forward, schools have already started to make significant changes and it looks to be inevitable serious changes need to happen, especially at the schools that don't play Power5 football. The pandemic just forced an underlying structural issue.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    ...but can kids this age adhere to whatever protocol is established?
    You mean like no group hugs after a goal is scored?
    Last edited by D2D; 06-10-2020, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    And interestingly enough, the Norwegian prime minister has been quoted in retrospect "we should have copied Sweden.". Norway is often cited as the anthisesis of Sweden. The WHO was touting Sweden for awhile after bashing them for two months. I can't keep track of all this stuff as it all changes so fast.
    The latest out of Sweden isn't great. It has had a recent spike, the state epidemiologist admits his approach was flawed, and Sweden is ending its daily updates as a scandal is brewing. Obviously not the fiasco that the US is, but not exactly Taiwan, Iceland, or South Korea either.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Except Denmark did shut down and then reopened. And interestingly enough, the Norwegian prime minister has been quoted in retrospect "we should have copied Sweden.". Norway is often cited as the anthisesis of Sweden. The WHO was touting Sweden for awhile after bashing them for two months. I can't keep track of all this stuff as it all changes so fast.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    The Santa Anita racetrack has pulled it off, but can kids this age adhere to whatever protocol is established? I'm not sure they can, but I am sure hoping. I'm encouraged by the reports coming out of Denmark regarding bringing the kids back to school and how Denmark took a chance this Spring in bringing the students back to school and it all worked out.
    The size of schools like Penn State and Ohio State dwarfs the number of people involved in a fan-less Santa Anita. Denmark makes me think of Sweden, which was a success story for staying open through Covid-19, right up until it wasn't.

It probably doesn't even matter, because in the heat of summer, most people will likely abandon any pretext of distancing and just go about their lives, as long as they last.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    The colleges have a month to figure this out. The Santa Anita racetrack has pulled it off, but can kids this age adhere to whatever protocol is established? I'm not sure they can, but I am sure hoping. I'm encouraged by the reports coming out of Denmark regarding bringing the kids back to school and how Denmark took a chance this Spring in bringing the students back to school and it all worked out.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied
    Reports are appearing about college football players having COVID-19 at UCF, Florida State, Alabama, Texas Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Arkansas State and Auburn. The articles don't give much in the way of details of when the players were tested vs when they arrived back on campus.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    My guess is that the home schedule is being expedited with an eye toward season ticket sales. Per this link, there would be a deadline coming up on 6/19 for priority sales of season tickets, so it would be nice to at least release the who and when of the home season.
    https://am.ticketmaster.com/umd/seasonticketinfo#/
    I suspect many (like me) are taking a 'wait and see' approach, both with respect to the virus being under control and a final schedule that is committed to.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    NYC is reopening because they have "bent their curves" down on every measure, new cases, deaths, testing percent, "active cases". Lots of other places are opening despite not having met the criteria they're supposed to meet; NY is doing so "legitimately".
    That's the company line, the reality is that you can't keep summer in a box in NYC. I watched CNN and Fox over the weekend and there were thousands milling about and they were not protesting. There were even impromptu bands playing on the news.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

"Badger student-athletes to begin return to campus"

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2020/6/5/...to-campus.aspx

Leave a comment:

• OldDave
    replied

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    My guess is that the home schedule is being expedited with an eye toward season ticket sales. Per this link, there would be a deadline coming up on 6/19 for priority sales of season tickets, so it would be nice to at least release the who and when of the home season.
    https://am.ticketmaster.com/umd/seasonticketinfo#/
    In contrast, UM sent out season ticket renewal notices in April without any information as to dates, times, or opponents. And yes, I did renew our tickets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X