X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Our ever so competent Governor "Leave It To" Evers has extended the mandatory mask deal until 11/21. I am pro mask though I think Evers is a loser and believe strongly that if we ALL wear them this thing grinds do to a very livable level in about 3 weeks. The longer this drags out the worse it will be for all.
    So, you agree with the action "the loser" is taking here. Do I have that right?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Our ever so competent Governor "Leave It To" Evers has extended the mandatory mask deal until 11/21. I am pro mask though I think Evers is a loser and believe strongly that if we ALL wear them this thing grinds do to a very livable level in about 3 weeks. The longer this drags out the worse it will be for all.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Covid stories......

A very upstanding fellow from church has close family friend to them where the mom has tested positive for covid, the case is mild. The husband has tested negative (so far), though they were not social distancing at all being a married couple right up to her positive test if you know what I mean. The kids both signed up online to get tested but did not make it to the test. They both got letters saying they tested positive. YEP. The source is very credible. Lots to digest on this one.
    More to digest...

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/09/14/meck...sitive-covid-/

https://www.newsweek.com/nashville-o...s-show-1532641

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

You touch on a very big sticking point re the return of women's hockey. For the season to work, the NCAA, the conference and/or the colleges will very likely insist on (at least) weekly testing of all players and staff. And this will only work if they use rapid COVID tests which I've heard can run $100+ per test. I don't see where programs like Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud get $3,000+ additional dollars a week ($6,000+ when you include Men's Hockey) right now to run such tests. The Big 10 hockey schools can likely absorb such a cost but no way these other schools can. The return of football is happening because the Big 10 is going to test every player every day and it's the Big 10 Conference that's covering those costs. That's much more easily done when you have a huge TV contract to draw money from.
    The announcement says they will require daily antigen testing, which I think is only in the $5 to $10 range. Any positives from that will be confirmed through long swab RNA tests.

But daily at $10 vs weekly at $100 might very well still be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
    Anybody hear anything about any other fall sport? Is just football returning?
    There was something in the official announcement about now that they have made the decision regarding football, they would turn their attention to other fall sports and "winter" sports that begin in the fall. That may be "we're gonna stall for a while and see how well or poorly this goes".

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio
    replied
    Anybody hear anything about any other fall sport? Is just football returning?

Leave a comment:

• Offsides Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Keep in mind that what it does for Big Ten men's hockey is not necessarily what it might do for WCHA women's hockey. The Big Ten can imposed testing requirements, etc, on Big Ten schools, but can't impose the same - costs, infrastructure, etc - on the likes of St Cloud or Mankato, etc etc.
    You touch on a very big sticking point re the return of women's hockey. For the season to work, the NCAA, the conference and/or the colleges will very likely insist on (at least) weekly testing of all players and staff. And this will only work if they use rapid COVID tests which I've heard can run $100+ per test. I don't see where programs like Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud get $3,000+ additional dollars a week ($6,000+ when you include Men's Hockey) right now to run such tests. The Big 10 hockey schools can likely absorb such a cost but no way these other schools can. The return of football is happening because the Big 10 is going to test every player every day and it's the Big 10 Conference that's covering those costs. That's much more easily done when you have a huge TV contract to draw money from.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Not sure what this does for Hockey,
    Keep in mind that what it does for Big Ten men's hockey is not necessarily what it might do for WCHA women's hockey. The Big Ten can imposed testing requirements, etc, on Big Ten schools, but can't impose the same - costs, infrastructure, etc - on the likes of St Cloud or Mankato, etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Better late than never - not right on the vote previously. Something was fishy. Not sure what this does for Hockey, but the guy who posted earlier that basketball will take hockey for a ride may be correct.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Covid stories......

A very upstanding fellow from church has close family friend to them where the mom has tested positive for covid, the case is mild. The husband has tested negative (so far), though they were not social distancing at all being a married couple right up to her positive test if you know what I mean. The kids both signed up online to get tested but did not make it to the test. They both got letters saying they tested positive. YEP. The source is very credible. Lots to digest on this one.

My father in law passed away 8 days ago. It was so sad not to give him a proper sendoff, he was a legend type of a guy in a small town. He deserved more than 40 people to pay their last respects. We had the wake/service outside, in the rain. What really sucked was his last 3 months in the old folks home he was shut off from us due to this stupid thing. We couldn't even call him on his phone and stand outside his window and chat. FINALLY they figured out how to regulate the visits/calls, but they were still limited. It had to be that way, but it doesn't mean we all had to like it. Not much to digest on this one.
    Also want to express my sympathy to you and your family. I have been to a couple of funerals in the last two weeks that were, like you say, around 40 people. Inside, sitting far apart and outside at the other. Just doesn't seem right for the kind of people both of them were.

Your story about the kids getting letters saying they tested positive without taking the test, reminds me of something I came across yesterday that said...15 out 10 people today tested positive for Covid19.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
    The Presidents of the Big 10 are meeting this week about restarting football with a tentative start date of mid-October.
    Start Oct 24...Looks like it was a unanimous vote.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Sorry to hear on your Father in Law. Liked the legend type of guy. Nice to hear you talk kindly about your wife's dad!
    He and I had virtually nothing in common LOL. He had no interest in sports (not even football or baseball), fishing or muscle cars. I like Ford, he was a Chevy guy. He was a dem due to his work/union stuff, I'm typically not a union guy/republican. He lived at home until he was 93. My wife did his shopping and I took care of the homestead for him. His legend status was in regards to his involvement in the local fire dept. Him and his wife were/are fantastic people. Sadly his wife had an awful stroke 7 years ago and her brain is scrambled. She's been in a long term high care facility ever since. God works in mysterious ways.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Sorry to hear on your Father in Law. Liked the legend type of guy. Nice to hear you talk kindly about your wife's dad!

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Covid stories......

My father in law passed away 8 days ago. It was so sad not to give him a proper sendoff, he was a legend type of a guy in a small town. He deserved more than 40 people to pay their last respects. We had the wake/service outside, in the rain. What really sucked was his last 3 months in the old folks home he was shut off from us due to this stupid thing. We couldn't even call him on his phone and stand outside his window and chat. FINALLY they figured out how to regulate the visits/calls, but they were still limited. It had to be that way, but it doesn't mean we all had to like it. Not much to digest on this one.

Leave a comment:

• zambonidriver
    replied
    The Presidents of the Big 10 are meeting this week about restarting football with a tentative start date of mid-October.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X