X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    And the death rate is down 50% from the start as we develop and fine tune treatments.
    I wonder how much is improved treatment and how much is increased testing of people who didn't experience symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    So we had a Christmas cookie decorating event a week ago. Me, the wife, daughter, 2 sons and 2 girlfriends and my sister. The day after the girlfriend of the son who already had it felt bad, got a positive test. No one else tested positive. We were together in a small apartment kitchen/livingroom for close to 4 hours. What baffles me more is when my son had it she never got it. She works in an assisted living place and gets tested 3-4 times a week. So she didn't get it from a guy who she shares spit with, she got it from somewhere else?!?!

So I have been in 2 instances now where multiple people in my group were exposed to a person within 1-3 days of them testing positive and no one but the sick person tested positive. I don't think anyone truly understands who this thing works.

And the death rate is down 50% from the start as we develop and fine tune treatments.

Leave a comment:

• DonaldD
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdPiano View Post
    Should I go to the dentist for a dental cleaning during the COVID-19 outbreak?
    I'm wondering if people are canceling their routine doctor's appointments and tests to avoid possible exposure to the virus, until things calm down a bit.
    I have scheduled appointments for knee cortisone shots, a mammogram, an eye exam and the dentist.
    I'm in my mid 60's with a few health issues that many have--hypertension and AFib but would prefer not being in medical settings or in medical office buildings that are attached to hospitals right now.
    I think waiting, unless its an emergency is prudent.
    Anyone else postponing routine appointments for a while?
    Thanks for weighing in!
    Yes, if you are a healthy individual showing no signs or symptoms of COVID-19, and it is time for you to have your scheduled six-month dental checkup and cleaning, we encourage you to stick to your appointment. Dental cleanings are an essential part of maintaining good oral health and preventing gum disease and cavities. The CDC reports that gum disease affects nearly half of adults in the U.S. And, there are severe health risks associated with poor oral health, including an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even cognitive decline that leads to Alzheimer’s. While the outbreak of COVID-19 may have people panicking, the health threats associated with poor oral health are just as serious. Continue with your cleaning appointments to minimize your risk of developing gum disease. I personally had a problem and only new dental bridges might help so I had to visit my dentist

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdPiano View Post
    I'm wondering if people are canceling their routine doctor's appointments and tests to avoid possible exposure to the virus, until things calm down a bit.
    I have scheduled appointments for knee cortisone shots, a mammogram, an eye exam and the dentist.
    I'm in my mid 60's with a few health issues that many have--hypertension and AFib but would prefer not being in medical settings or in medical office buildings that are attached to hospitals right now.
    Thanks for weighing in!
    I'm not a doctor and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here's my .02 worth. The older you are the more likely you are to have a hard time dealing with it if you get it. People wear masks and social distance and still get it. I would only do what you feel is totally essential to your long term well being. I'm a guy but I would not skip the mammogram, that C thing is not something to be trifled with.

Leave a comment:

• BirdPiano
    replied
    Thanks for weighing in!

Leave a comment:

• TinyViking
    replied
    A simple search shows this article was retracted. You might have also considered the source in the first place. This "brave" student does not study disease nor medicine, she's an economist. The study was not peer-reviewed and it was published in a student newspaper. As someone in the healthcare field, I am seeing first-hand the ramifications of this disease on individual and collective health. To deny its impact on our families, our communities, and our society is incredibly selfish and destructive.

Here is a link to the rationale for the retraction: https://www.jhunewsletter.com/articl...ue-to-covid-19

Leave a comment:

• Blackbeard
    replied
    Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    I give up. You’ve gone down too many rabbit holes for me to respond to and clearly believe many, many individuals, companies and agencies are conspiring to create an imaginary pandemic for a variety of reasons. Just, please, wear a mask, keep your distance and wash your hands.
    "Clearly believe...imaginary pandemic"???.

You don't seem to be paying attention. When did I claim that it was imaginary? You are making assumptions that are clearly false because that is not what I think. But maybe you are referring to the "official" numbers as opposed to the existence of the virus itself. Not quite sure what you meant....maybe you aren't either.

Don't you think that any of us, regardless of whether or not we have family or friends that we are concerned about, owe it to ourselves to get as clear a picture as is possible of what the exact situation really is? Wouldn't we be able to help ourselves and others that we care about, in one way or another, if our understanding was greater...if it was more accurate? That can only happen by our investing time and effort to attempt to educate ourselves. I would guess that your attitude would be somewhat different if you had actually read/listened to all the items that I posted. At the very least I would think that you wouldn't be making these wild assumptions.

And you are right, in a way, about too many rabbit holes, because this is a multi faceted issue. I didn't create it. I'm just trying to understand it as accurately as possible. But virtue signaling in the dark doesn't do anyone any good. In fact it is counter productive.

Regardless, I came here today to post an article that some might find helpful...possibly even yourself.

It is a study by a brave student and is related to the comment that I made in a previous post to you about the public comments made back in Feb/Mar by the CDC to the doctors in the US. The results of the study are entirely consistent with the point that I was making about those CDC comments. So, they come as no surprise to me other than why it took so long for anyone to pay any attention to what the possible consequences would be to those comments/instructions from the CDC.

I suggest going back and reading what I previously posted about the CDC comments before reading this article/study. It will allow you to get the most out of it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201122...ue-to-covid-19

Leave a comment:

• top cheese
    replied
    Maine stopping now until Dec 8

Leave a comment:

• MAHOCKEY FAN
    replied
    Northeastern.....stopping winter sports until DEC 18

Leave a comment:

• Offsides Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    If high school sports are paused there almost certainly will immediately be questions about college sports, particularly at the state's public institutions, including the University of Minnesota. There is a lot of money at stake for the Gopher football team so I expect them to play this weekend but any other sport, including, obviously, women's hockey, seems quite a bit less likely.
    Gov Walz was asked about college and pro sports being allowed to continue and he said the reason they can is they have the resources to be testing the athletes regularly which HS and youth sports programs don't have.

Leave a comment:

• ManBehindTheCurtain
    replied
    In Minnesota the Governor is going to speak at 6pm local time. It is expected that in response to out of control increases in cases, positive testing, hospitalizations and deaths that a new round of restrictions will be put in place, possibly including "pausing" high school and youth sports. If high school sports are paused there almost certainly will immediately be questions about college sports, particularly at the state's public institutions, including the University of Minnesota. There is a lot of money at stake for the Gopher football team so I expect them to play this weekend but any other sport, including, obviously, women's hockey, seems quite a bit less likely.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    My eldest son tested positive 5 days after he, myself, wife and daughter spent time 5 hours together on a Friday night in a small travel trailer at a camp sight. He had no symptoms other than a very slight cough, like he coughed twice in the 5 hours we were together. That Sunday, we had a small birthday gathering for my wife, the 3 already mentioned, plus the 2 girlfriends and the other son. Eldest son started feeling worse the Monday after and got tested. So after being exposed to him twice twice for 10 hours over that Friday and Sunday, none of us tested positive. And his brother and the girlfriends also tested negative. I think we really don't have a clue how this spreads. Yes distancing and masking are no harm to anyone, so why not do it, but after being with him in that small travel trailer with the windows closed and the heater on for 5 hours all sitting at a small table together eating and playing games, I was convinced me, my wife and daughter were going to test positive. I also know of married couples where one gets it and one doesn't verified through testing.

Leave a comment:

• OldDave
    replied
    Darn, election day has come and gone and the pandemic is still here. That narrative about it being only a political ploy must have been another bit of misinformation from the Russians or Chinese or Iranians.

A few weeks ago, I took a hypothetical hockey team of 30: 22 players with 8 coaches, trainers, and support personnel. I made the assumption that they bought into one of the misinformation bits and decided to not take any C19 precautions. I then applied the bits we already know: having the disease does not impart durable immunity (durable meaning immunity lasts longer than that chocolate bar in my fridge); more than 20% of the people surviving a bout of C19 come out with significant internal damage – lungs, heart, liver, and maybe spinal cord; more than 50% of people who already have significant internal damage die when they get C19. I then had my team doing parties for Halloween and New Year’s, family get-togethers for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Spring Break on Padre Island – all with the opportunity for C19 to sweep through the team. I assumed that only 15 people got sick during any one C19 event, that there was a two month gap between C19 events, and that the team never modified their behavior concerning precautions. The result was that half the team had passed within a year. I was depressed.

Then I was listening to Michael Osterholm being interviewed. I had seen or heard him a number of times in both local and national interviews and wanted to know why I was seeing him so often. Turns out he’s the Director of something called CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy) at UMN. He does weekly podcasts answering questions that people send in, as well as webinars. CIDRAP has a website with a large amount of C19 information, and it is refreshingly void of Russian, Chinese, Iranian, and other misinformation. Much of it is in plain English as well. The website is: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/ After listening to Dr. O and reading much of the material on the site, I am much more upbeat about a vaccine that will give us a durable immunity.
    Last edited by OldDave; 11-05-2020, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    I was at a local hospital for work the other day. The met with people in 5 different areas of the hospital. I was typically me, the guy who called me and one to 2 others from each dept. Everyone was wearing masks. The issue was no one was making any concerted effort to social distance. Our interactions did not require social distancing to be violated for effective communication. Honestly people at Menards try harder to social distance than people in this hospital did. Then I talked to my sister who is a doc and she fully agreed that her and her co-workers don't make any concerted effort to social distance. That is what I firmly believe is one of the cause for the spikes, lack of social distancing with masks and the non-maskers.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Here in the Twin Cities this weekend 40 different teams from across the country managed to play 83 games in the NIT Tournament at four rinks. Hopefully all participants are well.
    http://www.hselitehockey.com/stats#/...rnament_id=707

A stark contrast from all the D3 leagues apparently being cancelled for the entire season.
    Do you know what the masking or face shield requirements were? Strict, I hope.

Here's the story of a 'beer league' pickup game in Florida back in June that went very badly. No masks, no screens. One player was a day away from experiencing symptoms, and 13 of 21 other players ended up infected.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/89139

Leave a comment:

Working...
X