Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
    Are you sure it was for Covid and not an IQ enhancer that you were given?
    My wife is hoping for the later. I was wondering why my shot was blue and the wife's and daughter's were clear. Where's my old buddy Goldie? I need a hug.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I think that what the scientific/medical community is very worried about is that if the virus is allowed to rage through the population indefinitely, eventually a variant could emerge that will make what we've seen to date look like Santa Claus. If a new variant DOES start killing 20 year olds or causing irreversible damage to their lungs, or if a variant is not stopped by one or more of our current vaccines, then what? At that point, TTT's life is once again impacted whether he wants it to be or not. The US first declared victory over this thing more than half a million deaths ago. It could be like Michael Myers in Halloween where you have to kill it a bunch of times.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Or we could see any new variants stymied by annual modifications to each vaccine, much like we see with flu shots. In fact I believe Pfizer's CEO recently came out and recommended this for those who have (twice) received his company's vaccine, with the third coming no more than 12 months from the second. For decades now I've had annual flu shots so adding another, as recommended, would be just a minor inconvenience.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Or we could see any new variants stymied by annual modifications to each vaccine, much like we see with flu shots. In fact I believe Pfizer's CEO recently came out and recommended this for those who have (twice) received his company's vaccine, with the third coming no more than 12 months from the second. For decades now I've had annual flu shots so adding another, as recommended, would be just a minor inconvenience.
          This is why I wouldn't laminate any vaccine card. You are likely to need upgrades down the road. Covid will be with us for quite some time, according to the experts. We will need to get used to a changed social health environment.

Comment

• “Is that light at the end of the tunnel another train?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/s...ight&pgtype=Ho mepage

Nice review of the Covid sports year at one (non-hockey) mega-school that nonetheless should resonate with many.
            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 05-10-2021, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Well, Miller Park in Milwaukee is going full capacity 6/25. This is giving me real hope that hockey will be able to be fully attended in the fall. On the other hand, I am concerned that in WI if only 50% of the population gets shot up that covid will be around enough to totally screw over attending sports in person ever again, even though high risk people will be safe, and that is the main goal. We can't allow just numbers to dictate what will go on. Where the numbers lie makes all the difference.

Comment

• The People's Republic of Dane County is killing the masks June 15th I do believe. There is true hope to attend hockey in person now. Right now they are 53% fully shot up. My county is 32% and if it ever gets to 50% it will be a miracle since the vaccine/masks got politicized and it's typically rather Republican. Interestingly the other hot bed of Democrats, Milwaukee County is only 36% fully shot up.

Other interesting WI stats.....82% of 65+ are vaccinated. 42% of whites are vaccinated while 21% of blacks are, which I don't understand at all.

These are just numeric observations that are interesting, I'm in no way trying to start a political discussion or more.

Comment

• I got vaccinated last month and my kids are back in activities, so I decided to start playing rec hockey again. The rink still has a mask mandate, which I don’t mind complying with (it’s going away soon). However - oh my god playing hockey with a mask on! Not an easy thing, and made me grateful I’ve never had respiratory issues because the whole endeavor felt like a fight to breathe.

It was great to be doing normal things again though, and I hope people continue to have access to and choose to get vaccinated, because getting these masks gone for good (and bigger picture - keeping people healthy) is dependent on continuing improvements in Covid numbers.

Thats great that it sounds like you’ll be back to watching your Badgers in person next year, Timothy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    The People's Republic of Dane County is killing the masks June 15th I do believe. There is true hope to attend hockey in person now. Right now they are 53% fully shot up. My county is 32% and if it ever gets to 50% it will be a miracle since the vaccine/masks got politicized and it's typically rather Republican. Interestingly the other hot bed of Democrats, Milwaukee County is only 36% fully shot up.

Other interesting WI stats.....82% of 65+ are vaccinated. 42% of whites are vaccinated while 21% of blacks are, which I don't understand at all.

These are just numeric observations that are interesting, I'm in no way trying to start a political discussion or more.
                    The state's Health Dept web site breaks down vaccination stats by county and then by age group. As of a day or two ago, all age groups 25 and above in Dane County were at more than 70% having received at least one shot. 18-24 over 50%.

On top of that, as of now, UW is not requiring students to get vaccinated for the fall semester, but they either get vaccinated or they have to continue the twice (more?) weekly testing regimen. While I was working at the polls for the April election, I was talking to a couple UW students who were also poll workers, and they told me that testing is an utter pain in the ___. Going anywhere in person requires you to leave at least an hour early, to go to one of the on-campus testing sites, maybe wait in line, do the test, and hang around fifteen minutes or more to get the result. Come the fall, my guess is the GREAT majority of students will choose vaccination.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/vaccine-data.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      Come the fall, my guess is the GREAT majority of students will choose vaccination. https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/vaccine-data.htm
                      I hope so or large campuses like UW will have a lot of students missing classes. From what teachers at our school have told me virtual learning is not the best for the students on the quality of learning. I have to think it's similar in college. My learning style is I love to be lectured and take detailed lecture notes. Maybe that would have worked virtually for me. One of my sons is a complete hands on learner. He would have struggled mightily learning virtually.

Comment

I hope so or large campuses like UW will have a lot of students missing classes. From what teachers at our school have told me virtual learning is not the best for the students on the quality of learning. I have to think it's similar in college. My learning style is I love to be lectured and take detailed lecture notes. Maybe that would have worked virtually for me. One of my sons is a complete hands on learner. He would have struggled mightily learning virtually.
                        GPA's will go down. Students cheat so much with on line learning its not even funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                          GPA's will go down. Students cheat so much with on line learning its not even funny.
                          Well then GPA's should go up! LOL

Comment

Well then GPA's should go up! LOL
                            It's called inflation.

Comment

• Packed NFL and College Football stadiums and from what I could see no one wearing a mask. Will be very interesting to see in the coming weeks where the positivity rates go. Hopefully those in attendance were all vaccinated.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• When I was growing up, many (most?) of the adults on the block were veterans of WWII. Most of the men in that group saw combat. We kids could not get them to share their personal experiences, but they would respond to "lessons learned" questions. Among their answers, there was a thread concerning "maintaining situation awareness" that involved accurate risk assessments and taking actions consistent with the risk. We didn't really know what that meant, so we picked at it until one dad told us a fable to help us understand the concept. In the fable, there were a group of people walking on some tracks when suddenly a train came rushing at them. Some of the people froze in place, some of the people ran down the tracks as fast as they could, and the rest just stepped off the tracks. Freezing in place is a valid threat response when you don't want to be seen. Doesn't work for trains though, and this group was removed from the gene pool. Running is a valid threat response when you want to get out of range of the threat. Doesn't work for trains though, and this group was also removed from the gene pool less a couple who stumbled and fell off the tracks. One of the people in the third group went back on the tracks to try to save a friend and was also removed from the gene pool when the friend wouldn't move. The fable worked and we all moved on.

A dozen years later, when I was a young sergeant trying to keep my squad safe and functional during a firefight, I got to see the phenomenon described in the fable. That was when I realized what the combat vets had carefully not told us: it was not stupid people making stupid decisions, it was terrified people making stupid decisions.

Now it is fifty years removed from that revelation, so I didn't recognize what I was seeing until I read a couple of stories about people taking shelter from flash floods in basements. The light came on. The people refusing mask are running down those mythical tracks. The people refusing the vaccine are freezing in place. Telling them to not be afraid probably isn't going to work. Telling them that all of the people who have died from covid were unvaccinated isn't going to work. I wish I knew what would work. Good luck to them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X