Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DDad16 View Post

I have seen announcements from several schools following this same logic. Not necessarily hockey related, but the school itself in general.

My daughter recently received a survey from her school asking the athletes what they would like to see for the upcoming season. Anywhere from a regular season with no changes, to no season at all. I'm sure most athletes are going to want to compete. Hopefully it isn't just a ploy to make the athletes feel like they have a voice. We'll see how things turn out.
    Apparently there's an NCAA meeting in early July to establish some parameters / details for the proposed upcoming season.

Comment

• Bizarro world. Thanksgiving is a magic date and students will have to finish the semester online, but before Thanksgiving it is okay to be at school. Another magic date is Jan 1 and apparently it will be okay to play at that time.

Comment

• RPI cancelled fall sports. A lot of P5 football coaches are not optimistic on their season. If football does not happen or is cut back, winter sports are in doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Bizarro world. Thanksgiving is a magic date and students will have to finish the semester online, but before Thanksgiving it is okay to be at school. Another magic date is Jan 1 and apparently it will be okay to play at that time.
          I think the magical date is Nov. 4 (the day after the elections). This will all go away after that!
          Last edited by DDad16; 07-01-2020, 09:24 AM. Reason: Trying to add a smiley face... Obviously doing something wrong!

Comment

• Delay the start of the season until 1/1, then play a regular season through April, ditch the conference playoffs and run a 16 team ncaa tourney with 2 8 team round robins to decide the final 4 (top 2 from each site), then play a final 4 the next week. Done by mid May. There's no way we're seeing any hockey in 2020.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I'm not giving up yet with Women's soccer leading the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Delay the start of the season until 1/1, then play a regular season through April, ditch the conference playoffs and run a 16 team ncaa tourney with 2 8 team round robins to decide the final 4 (top 2 from each site), then play a final 4 the next week. Done by mid May. There's no way we're seeing any hockey in 2020.
                I love it! Hopefully Commissioner Flowers reads your post.

Comment

• This whole deal is just getting more grey and less black and white every day. What is the bottom line? If you are at risk, take measures not to get it. The question is do we shut down everyone else to help out the at risk people? Do we all just wear masks? Isn't kind of like if have have a heart condition, then you probably shouldn't run a marathon. Do we ban all marathons then to protect you from yourself?

My parents are a bit of a classic case. They both have diabetes and blood pressure issues. They both were hospitalized over Christmas with pneumonia. They now go out in public very little and always wear masks. My mom is a bit of a rebel and eats inside a restaurant once a week with a friend. At this restaurant the employees don't wear masks. Not good. We tell her what to do and not to do, but she's a bit a rebel. We minimize their contact with my adult children kids who are working out in the public. Theirs hearts a truly saddened by not seeing them. My wife and I get together with them and hang out every couple weeks, my sister sees them once a week. They are definitely going stir crazy with such little contact with other people. That's why I just wish this situation would get back to being black and white. The whole thing is getting politicized now, which just fuels the fire of "screw it". Thanks for listening.

Comment

This whole deal is just getting more grey and less black and white every day. What is the bottom line? If you are at risk, take measures not to get it. The question is do we shut down everyone else to help out the at risk people? Do we all just wear masks? Isn't kind of like if have have a heart condition, then you probably shouldn't run a marathon. Do we ban all marathons then to protect you from yourself?
                    Or, ban McDonalds?

Comment

If you are at risk, take measures not to get it. The question is do we shut down everyone else to help out the at risk people? Do we all just wear masks?
                      One problem is that it isn't 100% cut and dried as to who is/isn't at risk. People who didn't seem to be at risk have died from this thing. A lot of front-line workers have died. And who knows what the possible long-term impact might be on an exposed person's lungs, for example.

For now, the safest strategy seems to be to avoid getting it as much as possible, until we at least know with greater certainty what its traits truly are. For me, that has been relatively easy thus far. Last week as I was going into the grocery store, I did have a guy hollering at me from the neighboring liquor store, "Take your mask off; the virus has been canceled!" The things I miss out on because I'm not glued to Twitter and Fox News.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This whole deal is just getting more grey and less black and white every day. What is the bottom line? If you are at risk, take measures not to get it. The question is do we shut down everyone else to help out the at risk people? Do we all just wear masks? Isn't kind of like if have have a heart condition, then you probably shouldn't run a marathon. Do we ban all marathons then to protect you from yourself?

My parents are a bit of a classic case. They both have diabetes and blood pressure issues. They both were hospitalized over Christmas with pneumonia. They now go out in public very little and always wear masks. My mom is a bit of a rebel and eats inside a restaurant once a week with a friend. At this restaurant the employees don't wear masks. Not good. We tell her what to do and not to do, but she's a bit a rebel. We minimize their contact with my adult children kids who are working out in the public. Theirs hearts a truly saddened by not seeing them. My wife and I get together with them and hang out every couple weeks, my sister sees them once a week. They are definitely going stir crazy with such little contact with other people. That's why I just wish this situation would get back to being black and white. The whole thing is getting politicized now, which just fuels the fire of "screw it". Thanks for listening.

Tim... I don't think your analogy of someone with a heart condition should force marathons to shut down is a strong one -- to put it nicely. If a person with a bad heart chooses to run that marathon, they only put themselves at risk. They don't potentially and literally put any other person's life at risk. Whereas, if we allow team sports -- especially those played indoors -- there's a provably significant increase in risk of infection in allowing those activities, both between participants but also for anyone in attendance. Yes, the vast majority of the actual participants likely won't get significantly ill or die. But, what about those kids who have a grandparent living in their home? Three of my grandparents -- who all died of smoking related cancers -- spent their last 6-12 months living with my family so we they didn't need to go to a nursing home. Trust me, there are a lot more of those situations in the general population than you might think. In those cases, having the elderly "just stay home" doesn't really work now, does it?

Not only that, but what happens when a player tests positive? Well, according to the CDC and, I believe every state health department nation-wide, that player must quarantine for 14 days. As does any other person meeting the definition of close contact within a certain time frame. Meaning, literally every player on the team will need to quarantine for 14 days. AND, if that player played in the previous weekend's games, then technically, all of the players from the other team who played in the game need to quarantine for 14 days as well. So, then what happens to the next two series each of the teams are scheduled to play? Who's responsible for paying all of the late fees for short notice cancellations for flights, buses, and hotels? These schools -- especially the athletic departments, are already in the red in a significant way. Noe add the fact that there likely won't be many -- or any -- fans in the stands, those finances will take an even bigger hit. There are so many more potential and unpredictable scenarios that we simply can't predict that I just don't see how we can pull this off without a vaccine. Hope I'm wrong but....

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
                          Tim... I don't think your analogy of someone with a heart condition should force marathons to shut down is a strong one -- to put it nicely. If a person with a bad heart chooses to run that marathon, they only put themselves at risk. They don't potentially and literally put any other person's life at risk.
                          My point was if you are at risk, don't put yourself in risky situations and take care of yourself. By doing that you automatically do not put others at risk. Essentially, if my Mom wants to be stupid, I can't stop her from doing so.

I don't understand all the rage about having to wear a mask. It is for the good of society as a whole and in no way stops me from doing anything that I want or can do. By not wearing a mask you are increasing the likelihood of having the Government stop you from doing what you want to as it did before. I say wear a mask and have all businesses and schools be open and ramp up or keep ramped up the cleaning.

Comment

• A little long but some good information... Again, people are going to have opinions on this and cherry pick what they want to listen to. Just like the "science and data" that are being cherry-picked to align with our own opinions. I'm posting this link to a video but, you should know before you watch it, that she went to Duke AND North Carolina. Not sure you can trust someone like that. Since the smiley face doesn't seem to work, I'll end this with "smiley face".

https://www.facebook.com/goonegoall/...40216752758732

Comment

• Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                              A little long but some good information... Again, people are going to have opinions on this and cherry pick what they want to listen to. Just like the "science and data" that are being cherry-picked to align with our own opinions. I'm posting this link to a video but, you should know before you watch it, that she went to Duke AND North Carolina. Not sure you can trust someone like that. Since the smiley face doesn't seem to work, I'll end this with "smiley face".

https://www.facebook.com/goonegoall/...40216752758732
                              I guess this is "cherry-picking" but I plan to get my coronavirus advice from the epidemiologists instead of Disaster Response consultants on FB, even if they are MDs. That said, if the death of 140,000 Americans can't inspire us to take some collective action on preventive measures, I don't think anything will.

Comment

• Originally posted by TinyViking View Post

I guess this is "cherry-picking" but I plan to get my coronavirus advice from the epidemiologists instead of Disaster Response consultants on FB
                                Again... It will depend on which epidemiologist/infectious disease doctor you want to listen to. They also are offering differing opinions on the how serious this strain of virus is as compared to other strains. Along with the actual number of deaths attributed to this particular virus (and not the actual underlying condition a lot of people already had). There is just too much conflicting information around all of this that I, personally, don't trust any of it. Like I said, we are going to cherry-pick the information/science/data and live our lives as we feel based on how that information makes us feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X