Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by OldDave View Post
    When I was growing up, many (most?) of the adults on the block were veterans of WWII. Most of the men in that group saw combat. We kids could not get them to share their personal experiences, but they would respond to "lessons learned" questions. Among their answers, there was a thread concerning "maintaining situation awareness" that involved accurate risk assessments and taking actions consistent with the risk. We didn't really know what that meant, so we picked at it until one dad told us a fable to help us understand the concept. In the fable, there were a group of people walking on some tracks when suddenly a train came rushing at them. Some of the people froze in place, some of the people ran down the tracks as fast as they could, and the rest just stepped off the tracks. Freezing in place is a valid threat response when you don't want to be seen. Doesn't work for trains though, and this group was removed from the gene pool. Running is a valid threat response when you want to get out of range of the threat. Doesn't work for trains though, and this group was also removed from the gene pool less a couple who stumbled and fell off the tracks. One of the people in the third group went back on the tracks to try to save a friend and was also removed from the gene pool when the friend wouldn't move. The fable worked and we all moved on.

    A dozen years later, when I was a young sergeant trying to keep my squad safe and functional during a firefight, I got to see the phenomenon described in the fable. That was when I realized what the combat vets had carefully not told us: it was not stupid people making stupid decisions, it was terrified people making stupid decisions.

    Now it is fifty years removed from that revelation, so I didn't recognize what I was seeing until I read a couple of stories about people taking shelter from flash floods in basements. The light came on. The people refusing mask are running down those mythical tracks. The people refusing the vaccine are freezing in place. Telling them to not be afraid probably isn't going to work. Telling them that all of the people who have died from covid were unvaccinated isn't going to work. I wish I knew what would work. Good luck to them all.
    Great post. I think some are truly fearful. I know my wife was. There's all sorts of BS out there saying if you got the shot you will be dead in 2 years.

    I think there is also a 4th type of person, they are not freezing in fear on the tracks, they are just standing there on the tracks with the insane thought that train will not hit them. Or if it does they will not be injured.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

      Great post. I think some are truly fearful. I know my wife was. There's all sorts of BS out there saying if you got the shot you will be dead in 2 years.

      I think there is also a 4th type of person, they are not freezing in fear on the tracks, they are just standing there on the tracks with the insane thought that train will not hit them. Or if it does they will not be injured.
      No it's not a great post...It's like the previous poster is a paid spokesperson for big Pharma and thought up a fable to post their opionion on the exprerimental jab.

      And it not BS that it didn't take 2 years for *14,506 vaccine reported deaths* and *675,591 vaccine adverse event reports* to occur from the experimental jab.

      *Those are reported numbers through Sept 3 from the Government database VAERS. (vaers.hhs.gov)
      "If you ever feel useless, remember....It took 20 years, trillions of dollars and 4 US presidents to replace the Taliban, with the Taliban."

      Comment


      • Just for the record, I am not a fan of big pharma and would not post lies that would help them. I have been looking for verified data about adverse effects, so thanks for the link. Since you want to call me out, I have to ask if you have read the disclaimer on the VAERS site. It says:

        VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to VAERS. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. Most reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

        Also, I think that the word "experimental" can be dropped from your description of the jab. Thanks again for the link.

        Comment


        • Can we please keep it to women's hockey per the forum? There is enough BS circulating everywhere regarding Corona...don't need to see everyone's opinions/stances here.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post
            Can we please keep it to women's hockey per the forum?
            On that note, hopefully we can make it through the upcoming season w/o virus-related cancelations of games/seasons or suspension of team activities. It would be nice to be able to focus on normal things, like hating -- and losing to -- the Badgers.

            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

            Comment


            • OldDave...

              Yes I am aware of the disclaimer. They wouldn't be covering the rear ends very well if they didn't have that now would they? Your are aware that companies like Pfizer and Moderna have idemnity from the severe side affects, including death, caused by the experimental MRNA shot, right? You also can't sue the FDA.

              Heck of a gig if you can get it especially if you are the companies bringing a product to market very very quickly. So yes, it is still experimental and any who have gotten the shot are part of the experiment.

              BTW, this is a thread on Coronavirus so I think the discussion is appropriate. However I do agree with ARM that it would be nice to focus on normal things where virus related stuff doesn't become the headlines.
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-14-2021, 03:39 PM.
              "If you ever feel useless, remember....It took 20 years, trillions of dollars and 4 US presidents to replace the Taliban, with the Taliban."

              Comment


              • Of the teams that did not play games last year... were they still on campus and practicing as a team? The teams were 6 Ivies plus Union and RPI, plus several NEWHA teams that I’d have to look up the names of.

                I am so curious how this will play out, especially seeing the poll that came out today. Are we looking at a weaker than usual ECAC? SLU lost a good one to centralization, potentially rusty Ivies (also missing some players).

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  Of the teams that did not play games last year... were they still on campus and practicing as a team? The teams were 6 Ivies plus Union and RPI, plus several NEWHA teams that I’d have to look up the names of.

                  I am so curious how this will play out, especially seeing the poll that came out today. Are we looking at a weaker than usual ECAC? SLU lost a good one to centralization, potentially rusty Ivies (also missing some players).
                  SLU lost 2 to centralization. Segedi is centralized for China. Princeton lost Fillier to centralization. Those two teams will definitely be weaker as a result.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

                    SLU lost 2 to centralization. Segedi is centralized for China. Princeton lost Fillier to centralization. Those two teams will definitely be weaker as a result.
                    Oh wow didn’t realize SLU lost 2. Princeton weaker... Cornell probably weaker than what they were in 19/20 considering the only way to go from #1 is down. If RPI and Union weren’t even practicing last year.....Clarkson lost Giguere and more. Can’t wait to see the pre season polls for this conference. Dartmouth and Brown may have that new coach boost, but if I recall Yale was also on the rise in 19/20. Fun fun. Looks good for the Raiders!

                    Comment


                    • So the wWCHA's policy is if a game or series can't be played due to c19, then the games will be cancelled and declared a no contest. That could have a huge impact on determining the regular season champ. I assume it applies to the end of season tourney, but if #8 can't play, will they pass the #1 onto the next round though they did not win their series? What if the #1 can't play, does the #8 move on?
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        So the wWCHA's policy is if a game or series can't be played due to c19, then the games will be cancelled and declared a no contest. That could have a huge impact on determining the regular season champ. I assume it applies to the end of season tourney, but if #8 can't play, will they pass the #1 onto the next round though they did not win their series? What if the #1 can't play, does the #8 move on?
                        What is the criteria for declaring that a game or series can't be played due to Covid? Is it one player testing positive? That could easily happen even though she has no or minimal symptoms. Is is a certain number of players?

                        Comment


                        • It happened in the men's hockey tourney last spring, and it was basically the same as forfeit. Impacted team is out; the other team advances. I imagine that if it happens to two teams scheduled to meet, then "Bye" would advance to the next round. If it happens to two teams scheduled to meet in the final ... yeah, not a very satisfying outcome. It would be like a return to 2020 and how fun that tournament was (not).
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                          Comment


                          • https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=6MqUE5Yavak

                            Hockey Canada cancels 3 more tournaments, including the Canadian Girls U18 event.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

                              SLU lost 2 to centralization. Segedi is centralized for China. Princeton lost Fillier to centralization. Those two teams will definitely be weaker as a result.
                              Actually 3 Taylor Lum is also China

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X