Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Here in the Twin Cities this weekend 40 different teams from across the country managed to play 83 games in the NIT Tournament at four rinks. Hopefully all participants are well.
    http://www.hselitehockey.com/stats#/...rnament_id=707

A stark contrast from all the D3 leagues apparently being cancelled for the entire season.
    Do you know what the masking or face shield requirements were? Strict, I hope.

Here's the story of a 'beer league' pickup game in Florida back in June that went very badly. No masks, no screens. One player was a day away from experiencing symptoms, and 13 of 21 other players ended up infected.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/89139

Comment

• I was at a local hospital for work the other day. The met with people in 5 different areas of the hospital. I was typically me, the guy who called me and one to 2 others from each dept. Everyone was wearing masks. The issue was no one was making any concerted effort to social distance. Our interactions did not require social distancing to be violated for effective communication. Honestly people at Menards try harder to social distance than people in this hospital did. Then I talked to my sister who is a doc and she fully agreed that her and her co-workers don't make any concerted effort to social distance. That is what I firmly believe is one of the cause for the spikes, lack of social distancing with masks and the non-maskers.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Darn, election day has come and gone and the pandemic is still here. That narrative about it being only a political ploy must have been another bit of misinformation from the Russians or Chinese or Iranians.

A few weeks ago, I took a hypothetical hockey team of 30: 22 players with 8 coaches, trainers, and support personnel. I made the assumption that they bought into one of the misinformation bits and decided to not take any C19 precautions. I then applied the bits we already know: having the disease does not impart durable immunity (durable meaning immunity lasts longer than that chocolate bar in my fridge); more than 20% of the people surviving a bout of C19 come out with significant internal damage – lungs, heart, liver, and maybe spinal cord; more than 50% of people who already have significant internal damage die when they get C19. I then had my team doing parties for Halloween and New Year’s, family get-togethers for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Spring Break on Padre Island – all with the opportunity for C19 to sweep through the team. I assumed that only 15 people got sick during any one C19 event, that there was a two month gap between C19 events, and that the team never modified their behavior concerning precautions. The result was that half the team had passed within a year. I was depressed.

Then I was listening to Michael Osterholm being interviewed. I had seen or heard him a number of times in both local and national interviews and wanted to know why I was seeing him so often. Turns out he’s the Director of something called CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy) at UMN. He does weekly podcasts answering questions that people send in, as well as webinars. CIDRAP has a website with a large amount of C19 information, and it is refreshingly void of Russian, Chinese, Iranian, and other misinformation. Much of it is in plain English as well. The website is: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/ After listening to Dr. O and reading much of the material on the site, I am much more upbeat about a vaccine that will give us a durable immunity.
        Last edited by OldDave; 11-05-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• My eldest son tested positive 5 days after he, myself, wife and daughter spent time 5 hours together on a Friday night in a small travel trailer at a camp sight. He had no symptoms other than a very slight cough, like he coughed twice in the 5 hours we were together. That Sunday, we had a small birthday gathering for my wife, the 3 already mentioned, plus the 2 girlfriends and the other son. Eldest son started feeling worse the Monday after and got tested. So after being exposed to him twice twice for 10 hours over that Friday and Sunday, none of us tested positive. And his brother and the girlfriends also tested negative. I think we really don't have a clue how this spreads. Yes distancing and masking are no harm to anyone, so why not do it, but after being with him in that small travel trailer with the windows closed and the heater on for 5 hours all sitting at a small table together eating and playing games, I was convinced me, my wife and daughter were going to test positive. I also know of married couples where one gets it and one doesn't verified through testing.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• In Minnesota the Governor is going to speak at 6pm local time. It is expected that in response to out of control increases in cases, positive testing, hospitalizations and deaths that a new round of restrictions will be put in place, possibly including "pausing" high school and youth sports. If high school sports are paused there almost certainly will immediately be questions about college sports, particularly at the state's public institutions, including the University of Minnesota. There is a lot of money at stake for the Gopher football team so I expect them to play this weekend but any other sport, including, obviously, women's hockey, seems quite a bit less likely.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              If high school sports are paused there almost certainly will immediately be questions about college sports, particularly at the state's public institutions, including the University of Minnesota. There is a lot of money at stake for the Gopher football team so I expect them to play this weekend but any other sport, including, obviously, women's hockey, seems quite a bit less likely.
              Gov Walz was asked about college and pro sports being allowed to continue and he said the reason they can is they have the resources to be testing the athletes regularly which HS and youth sports programs don't have.

Comment

• Northeastern.....stopping winter sports until DEC 18

Comment

Working...
                X