Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Presidents of the Big 10 are meeting this week about restarting football with a tentative start date of mid-October.

    Comment


    • Covid stories......

      A very upstanding fellow from church has close family friend to them where the mom has tested positive for covid, the case is mild. The husband has tested negative (so far), though they were not social distancing at all being a married couple right up to her positive test if you know what I mean. The kids both signed up online to get tested but did not make it to the test. They both got letters saying they tested positive. YEP. The source is very credible. Lots to digest on this one.

      My father in law passed away 8 days ago. It was so sad not to give him a proper sendoff, he was a legend type of a guy in a small town. He deserved more than 40 people to pay their last respects. We had the wake/service outside, in the rain. What really sucked was his last 3 months in the old folks home he was shut off from us due to this stupid thing. We couldn't even call him on his phone and stand outside his window and chat. FINALLY they figured out how to regulate the visits/calls, but they were still limited. It had to be that way, but it doesn't mean we all had to like it. Not much to digest on this one.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • Sorry to hear on your Father in Law. Liked the legend type of guy. Nice to hear you talk kindly about your wife's dad!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Sorry to hear on your Father in Law. Liked the legend type of guy. Nice to hear you talk kindly about your wife's dad!
          He and I had virtually nothing in common LOL. He had no interest in sports (not even football or baseball), fishing or muscle cars. I like Ford, he was a Chevy guy. He was a dem due to his work/union stuff, I'm typically not a union guy/republican. He lived at home until he was 93. My wife did his shopping and I took care of the homestead for him. His legend status was in regards to his involvement in the local fire dept. Him and his wife were/are fantastic people. Sadly his wife had an awful stroke 7 years ago and her brain is scrambled. She's been in a long term high care facility ever since. God works in mysterious ways.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
            The Presidents of the Big 10 are meeting this week about restarting football with a tentative start date of mid-October.
            Start Oct 24...Looks like it was a unanimous vote.
            “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Covid stories......

              A very upstanding fellow from church has close family friend to them where the mom has tested positive for covid, the case is mild. The husband has tested negative (so far), though they were not social distancing at all being a married couple right up to her positive test if you know what I mean. The kids both signed up online to get tested but did not make it to the test. They both got letters saying they tested positive. YEP. The source is very credible. Lots to digest on this one.

              My father in law passed away 8 days ago. It was so sad not to give him a proper sendoff, he was a legend type of a guy in a small town. He deserved more than 40 people to pay their last respects. We had the wake/service outside, in the rain. What really sucked was his last 3 months in the old folks home he was shut off from us due to this stupid thing. We couldn't even call him on his phone and stand outside his window and chat. FINALLY they figured out how to regulate the visits/calls, but they were still limited. It had to be that way, but it doesn't mean we all had to like it. Not much to digest on this one.
              Also want to express my sympathy to you and your family. I have been to a couple of funerals in the last two weeks that were, like you say, around 40 people. Inside, sitting far apart and outside at the other. Just doesn't seem right for the kind of people both of them were.

              Your story about the kids getting letters saying they tested positive without taking the test, reminds me of something I came across yesterday that said...15 out 10 people today tested positive for Covid19.
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM.
              “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

              Comment


              • Better late than never - not right on the vote previously. Something was fishy. Not sure what this does for Hockey, but the guy who posted earlier that basketball will take hockey for a ride may be correct.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                  Not sure what this does for Hockey,
                  Keep in mind that what it does for Big Ten men's hockey is not necessarily what it might do for WCHA women's hockey. The Big Ten can imposed testing requirements, etc, on Big Ten schools, but can't impose the same - costs, infrastructure, etc - on the likes of St Cloud or Mankato, etc etc.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                    Keep in mind that what it does for Big Ten men's hockey is not necessarily what it might do for WCHA women's hockey. The Big Ten can imposed testing requirements, etc, on Big Ten schools, but can't impose the same - costs, infrastructure, etc - on the likes of St Cloud or Mankato, etc etc.
                    You touch on a very big sticking point re the return of women's hockey. For the season to work, the NCAA, the conference and/or the colleges will very likely insist on (at least) weekly testing of all players and staff. And this will only work if they use rapid COVID tests which I've heard can run $100+ per test. I don't see where programs like Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud get $3,000+ additional dollars a week ($6,000+ when you include Men's Hockey) right now to run such tests. The Big 10 hockey schools can likely absorb such a cost but no way these other schools can. The return of football is happening because the Big 10 is going to test every player every day and it's the Big 10 Conference that's covering those costs. That's much more easily done when you have a huge TV contract to draw money from.

                    Comment


                    • Anybody hear anything about any other fall sport? Is just football returning?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                        Anybody hear anything about any other fall sport? Is just football returning?
                        There was something in the official announcement about now that they have made the decision regarding football, they would turn their attention to other fall sports and "winter" sports that begin in the fall. That may be "we're gonna stall for a while and see how well or poorly this goes".

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

                          You touch on a very big sticking point re the return of women's hockey. For the season to work, the NCAA, the conference and/or the colleges will very likely insist on (at least) weekly testing of all players and staff. And this will only work if they use rapid COVID tests which I've heard can run $100+ per test. I don't see where programs like Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud get $3,000+ additional dollars a week ($6,000+ when you include Men's Hockey) right now to run such tests. The Big 10 hockey schools can likely absorb such a cost but no way these other schools can. The return of football is happening because the Big 10 is going to test every player every day and it's the Big 10 Conference that's covering those costs. That's much more easily done when you have a huge TV contract to draw money from.
                          The announcement says they will require daily antigen testing, which I think is only in the $5 to $10 range. Any positives from that will be confirmed through long swab RNA tests.

                          But daily at $10 vs weekly at $100 might very well still be a problem.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Covid stories......

                            A very upstanding fellow from church has close family friend to them where the mom has tested positive for covid, the case is mild. The husband has tested negative (so far), though they were not social distancing at all being a married couple right up to her positive test if you know what I mean. The kids both signed up online to get tested but did not make it to the test. They both got letters saying they tested positive. YEP. The source is very credible. Lots to digest on this one.
                            More to digest...

                            https://www.wbtv.com/2020/09/14/meck...sitive-covid-/


                            https://www.newsweek.com/nashville-o...s-show-1532641




                            “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X