Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Coronavirus

    "People relaxed, and then, unfortunately, it came back again."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/s...?smid=em-share

    Comment


    • Re: Coronavirus

      Brown to cut 11 sports. Hockey is not one of them.

      https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...varsity-sports

      Comment


      • Re: Coronavirus

        Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
        Brown to cut 11 sports. Hockey is not one of them.

        https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...varsity-sports
        Yes, but according to the article it has nothing to do with the coronavirus, it is a planned reorganization of sports at Brown, the review of which began in 2018, so posting it here is a bit of misdirection. Furthermore, Brown is not cutting the athletic budget, but is reallocating the $500,000 or so spent on the cut sports to other sports, with women's soccer and men's basketball being mentioned. And finally, Brown is adding two varsity sports, women's sailing and coed sailing.

        Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

        BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

        Comment


        • Re: Coronavirus

          Dawn Staley, South Carolina BBall coach, was on EsPN radio this morning and the school is bringing back basketball players July 1 and listening to the steps they will take is going to be interesting and complicated. But, they are going to try it out. Football goes back on June 8. It is interesting how basketball can go back, but not hockey since they are the same season.

          Comment


          • Re: Coronavirus

            Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            Yes, but according to the article it has nothing to do with the coronavirus, it is a planned reorganization of sports at Brown, the review of which began in 2018, so posting it here is a bit of misdirection. Furthermore, Brown is not cutting the athletic budget, but is reallocating the $500,000 or so spent on the cut sports to other sports, with women's soccer and men's basketball being mentioned. And finally, Brown is adding two varsity sports, women's sailing and coed sailing.

            Sean
            Correct... I just figured this was the more appropriate thread for the article. No "misdirection" intended. Just an article about a school and that they are keeping hockey which, according to the thoughts of many on this thread, would be one of the first sports to go. That is all.

            Comment


            • Re: Coronavirus

              https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1107528 rest of the NDC camps cancelled ...no suprise

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1107528 rest of the NDC camps cancelled ...no suprise
                Following Canada's lead on National teams and camps. In addition, Canada has cancelled all stay over camps and still have not made a decision on day camps.
                Last edited by Reddington; 06-03-2020, 11:04 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: Coronavirus

                  Hockey Canada still hasn't decided what the regular season will look like for minor hockey (boys and girls), so far everything is on hold. No registrations for the fall, no tournaments approved.....nothing.

                  The only thing we've heard from the OWHA (Ontario Women's Hockey Association) is that we will be able to register players sometime in June but without collecting any fees. Hoping to have more clarity on what the season might look like by the end of June.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Coronavirus

                    Bemidji State announced today they are bringing everyone back to campus on schedule. Students will be one to a dorm in many of the dorms and many classes will be "remote". Hockey may indeed be right around the corner!

                    Comment


                    • Re: Coronavirus

                      U of MN also looking to bring students back this fall. https://www.startribune.com/u-presid...all/571050202/

                      Comment


                      • Re: Coronavirus

                        It's looking good right now, but all these non-social distancing demonstrations are not doing us any favors on this front.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                        Comment


                        • Re: Coronavirus

                          I am taking the opposite take - these demonstrations are blowing the lockdown out of the water. California all of a sudden is allowing filming and gyms to reopen in the near future. NYC is reopening soon.

                          No restrictions leads to colleges reopening and college sports.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Coronavirus

                            Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            I am taking the opposite take - these demonstrations are blowing the lockdown out of the water. California all of a sudden is allowing filming and gyms to reopen in the near future. NYC is reopening soon.

                            No restrictions leads to colleges reopening and college sports.
                            NYC is reopening because they have "bent their curves" down on every measure, new cases, deaths, testing percent, "active cases". Lots of other places are opening despite not having met the criteria they're supposed to meet; NY is doing so "legitimately".

                            Comment


                            • Re: Coronavirus

                              FWIW (which is apparently how I start all my posts now) Duluth has posted half a schedule for 20-21. Dates and opponents for games to be played in Duluth, including a series against Robert Morris. No listing at all for any road series, conference or non-conference.

                              Really an odd way to handle it, but as I said, FWIW.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Coronavirus

                                Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                Really an odd way to handle it, but as I said, FWIW.
                                My guess is that the home schedule is being expedited with an eye toward season ticket sales. Per this link, there would be a deadline coming up on 6/19 for priority sales of season tickets, so it would be nice to at least release the who and when of the home season.
                                https://am.ticketmaster.com/umd/seasonticketinfo#/
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X