Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Just so people understand what tests do what: the test in that article (if I am reading it correctly) only tests for the 'long term' IgG antibody. IgG antibodies form days or even weeks after symptoms appear; 7 to 10 days after symptoms, meaning maybe as long as two weeks after infection. It does not test for IgM antibodies, which form more quickly. And neither type of antibodies form - at least to any detectable level - during the critical first few days when a person is pre-symptomatic but can still be infecting others. To know that, you have to take the RNA detecting "swab test", and that (unless you work at the White House, apparently) can take days to get results.

So, if the idea is to find out which players had COVID weeks and months ago (and are presumably now carrying some level of immunity), an IgG antibody test is fine. But if you want to know what players are infected right now and are a risk to spreading the virus to other players or the other team, the RNA swab test is necessary.

(And, as I have said before, until there is a plan as to what to do when a player tests positive for active COVID two days before a game, I am not at all optimistic about 'sports' being played in any meaningful way.)
    The other reality is no one knows yet if getting and surviving COVID gives you any lengthy immunity. I actually just had an antibodies test because I was sick with all the symptoms back in late December (test results not in yet) and my doctor made a point of telling me a positive test does not mean anything relating to immunity. She said people are studying this but, unfortunately, a positive antibodies test today does not mean I can relax things like social distancing, face covering, etc.

My hope is the experts can determine this by the start of the school year so they could test players and ID who on the team has immunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      The other reality is no one knows yet if getting and surviving COVID gives you any lengthy immunity. I actually just had an antibodies test because I was sick with all the symptoms back in late December (test results not in yet) and my doctor made a point of telling me a positive test does not mean anything relating to immunity. She said people are studying this but, unfortunately, a positive antibodies test today does not mean I can relax things like social distancing, face covering, etc.

My hope is the experts can determine this by the start of the school year so they could test players and ID who on the team has immunity.
      A study came out of BU last week confirming that antibodies give immunity at least in the short term. Since this hasn’t been around long enough to know anything long term, that’s about as good as we will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
        A study came out of BU last week confirming that antibodies give immunity at least in the short term. Since this hasn’t been around long enough to know anything long term, that’s about as good as we will get.
        There were studies done on people who had been infected with SARS that showed their antibodies remained measureable for 12 or 18 or 24 months (I don't recall exactly, but on that order). SARS was caused by a similar coronavirus, so it is reasonable to assume that COVID antibodies will be around for a similar time period.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          There were studies done on people who had been infected with SARS that showed their antibodies remained measureable for 12 or 18 or 24 months (I don't recall exactly, but on that order). SARS was caused by a similar coronavirus, so it is reasonable to assume that COVID antibodies will be around for a similar time period.
          I certainly hope immunity turns out to be the case!

Comment

Good News...I think we will start to see more schools following this path in the coming weeks.
            https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...ents-back.html

Comment

Clear and critical thinking needed...You're spidey senses should be tingling.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t-tracing.html
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Jersey Shore is opening for Memorial Day Weekend. As I say even Democrats have beach houses. I'll take that as a positive. Both Dems and Republicans have college aged kids and lots of Dems work at Universities. How far will Governors take this? The Jersey Gov blinked which I think is a good sign for college sports.
                Last edited by Reddington; 05-15-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                  Jersey Shore is opening for Memorial Day Weekend. As I say even Democrats have beach houses. I'll take that as a positive. Both Dems and Republicans have college aged kids and lots of Dems work at Universities. How far will Governors take this. The Jersey Gov blinked which I think is a good sign for college sports.
                  Your post seems to imply this is all about politics.

But actually it is possible that the virus itself might have something to say about what is happening during the next school year.

Comment

Jersey Shore is opening for Memorial Day Weekend. As I say even Democrats have beach houses. I'll take that as a positive. Both Dems and Republicans have college aged kids and lots of Dems work at Universities. How far will Governors take this. The Jersey Gov blinked which I think is a good sign for college sports.
                    And the WI Supreme Court overruled their Gov's Stay-At-Home order and within hours several bars around the state were busy again with few safety/health adjustments. Tells me the Badgers will play, not worry about sanitizing anything and will fly commercial to all their games even when they could take a bus. Anyone tries to restrict them will simply be taken to court and overruled. Let the paint thinner flow! LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      Your post seems to imply this is all about politics.

But actually it is possible that the virus itself might have something to say about what is happening during the next school year.
                      I said a month ago look to the Eastern Seaboard beaches as an indicator on college football. If the Beaches are not open, there would definitely not be college football.

And I will say it again, if there is no college football, there will be no sports. My view on this has nothing really to do with politics.

On another note, I would be interested in seeing data from Spring Breakers and Mardi Gras participants between 17-25 on fatality rate and etc from the virus.

Comment

My son just got good news from Montana State. Fall semester now runs Aug 17 to Thanksgiving then the students are off until Jan 10 when 2nd semester will start. Evidently the school is trying to avoid the heart of flu season and possibly the 2nd COVID season. I’m keeping my eyes out for other schools doing this as well. Bad news is Harvard Med School has announced Fall semester will be online.

I’m gonna focus on the positive!

Comment

My son just got good news from Montana State. Fall semester now runs Aug 17 to Thanksgiving then the students are off until Jan 10 when 2nd semester will start. Evidently the school is trying to avoid the heart of flu season and possibly the 2nd COVID season. I’m keeping my eyes out for other schools doing this as well. Bad news is Harvard Med School has announced Fall semester will be online.

I’m gonna focus on the positive!
                          Interesting on Montana State and Harvard.

Oh Nooo. Bowling Green just dropped baseball, following Akron who dropped three sports.
                          Last edited by Reddington; 05-15-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                            And the WI Supreme Court overruled their Gov's Stay-At-Home order and within hours several bars around the state were busy again with few safety/health adjustments. Tells me the Badgers will play, not worry about sanitizing anything and will fly commercial to all their games even when they could take a bus. Anyone tries to restrict them will simply be taken to court and overruled. Let the paint thinner flow! LOL!
                            Legally, the basis for the Court's ruling is nowhere near that 'sweeping'; politically, maybe more so, but Gov Evers was already moving in the "open things carefully" direction anyway.

Gov Evers and the State Health Officer have issued a number of "Stay at Home" type orders, with two or three 'major' ones. The first such order issued by the State Health Officer was preceded immediately by a "state of emergency" order from Evers, and it specifically referenced the Evers emergency order (the Health Officer is authorized to take the actions contained in the "Stay at Home" order by the fact of the "state of emergency" order). And the Court had and has no problem with that order, but it expired some time in April. The second such "Stay at Home" order, which was largely a time extension of the first order, did not *explicitly* refer to the Evers "state of emergency" order the way the first had, even though that "state of emergency" order remains in effect. And because of that, the Court ruled that the second order is not in fact an "order", but is rather a "rule". And because it is a "rule", there have to have been public hearings, and the legislature gets a say, etc etc.

Really. That's it. That's the basis of them striking down the order. Really!

Nothing about "constitutionality" or "governmental tyranny" or any such thing. In the middle of an effing pandemic, the majority on the Court is playing "Simon Says". Seriously! "You didn't say 'Evers says' so you lose the game."

I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to, Evers and the Health Officer could essentially re-issue the order with the "proper" references to the "state of emergency", and the Court would be OK with it (or they'd have to find some other absurd BS "reason" to knock it down). And if things go badly after the "re-opening" we might see that happen. But not right now.

(Note also that the Court's vote was 4-3, and that one of the conservative majority lost his re-election last month, and will be replaced by a more liberal justice on July 1 (I think). So 'next time', it might well be 4-3 the other way.)

You can probably tell I am HIGHLY annoyed by what the Court did here.
                            Last edited by robertearle; 05-15-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              That's a good point. I didn't think of the unintended consequences. Especially since there will be a mass of redshirt exceptions.
                              It’s good that hockey isn’t granting another year of eligibility b/c it’s causing all sorts of problems in spring sports like lacrosse. Imagine the situation: seniors can play an additional year, but maybe not at their current school (Ivies and some other small schools aren’t allowing a 5th year) so the transfer portal blows up with 5th year seniors trying to land spots on other teams, which causes a ripple effect for the younger players who have now moved down the depth chart. So now some younger players also enter the portal or are really unsure of where they stand. Or, a school is allowed to keep seniors for a 5th year and decides to keep a bunch of their seniors, or recruits 5th years from other programs, but doesn’t have the budget for an expanded roster (very few do these days) so current sophomore or juniors are cut or scholarships are taken away (happening at some schools). Incoming freshmen aren’t cut because most have signed an NLI but they are definitely lower on the depth chart, possibly for more than one season because it’s not just this year’s seniors who have the possible extra year of eligibility, but every player on the team. The schools with huge athletic budgets and top ranked teams are just getting bigger and better while the smaller schools are missing out. Imagine if UW, OSU & MN could keep their seniors for another year and/or take seniors who graduated from Yale, Princeton, Cornell, etc., but Colgate, Northeastern and BU couldn’t. Bye bye parity in women’s hockey. That’s exactly what’s happening in lacrosse.

Comment

On another note, I would be interested in seeing data from Spring Breakers and Mardi Gras participants between 17-25 on fatality rate and etc from the virus.
                                I’d like to see the fatality rate of their older relatives.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X