2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Good News: The scoring is up. Bad News: The scoring is up for other teams. Good News: The team can win a game 4-3 this year. Bad News: The team will struggle to win games 1-0.
    I agree, and I think all of this points at a defense that needs a little tightening. They've shown that they can get down a goal or two and come back from that, but they have to be a lot better at keeping the opponent away from the Penn State net while they catch up. It's great to see this team is so offense-oriented with some talented new players, but not if it's going to be at the expense of the solid defense they've always had. Syracuse figured out Josie Bothun and capitalized on what they saw in her game, and Penn State let them work it out.

The PP is atrocious. The 5-3 non conversion highlights just how bad the PP is. The Penalties seem to be at a level that is manageable. That is a positive.
    Ugh...that 5-on-3 was disappointing. I really thought a goal was coming quickly from that. Like you said, the powerplay overall is pretty dismal - time and a lot more practice will hopefully work that out.

Considering any hockey was a question this year, the real win may be just getting in games in this trying environment.
    Absolutely - any hockey is good hockey this season, and I'm glad they're getting a chance to play at least a little.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(All good points, but I'm going to be all Christmas-spirity and give the gift of keeping my motormouth in check, and just focus on a couple of your points)

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
    3. The back end needs to be more physical in front of their own net. Syracuse had too many second chances in tight.
    That's probably my biggest takeaway, at least from this four game Syracuse series: the increased offensive effort is great to see, but keep teams outside and let Bothun see the puck when shots come her way.

4. Josie needs to have better rebound control. She is going to learn that unlike high school, teams are going to try to execute a specific game plan. It was obvious yesterday shoot low and crash the net. On the third goal she stopped two shots before the third one went in. There was no boxing out.
    There was a Syracuse goal yesterday that Bothun should have gotten the assist on, the way she handed a rebound (and a wide open net) to the Syracuse player. Still, she's a freshman goalie who just got four games in a row against a very quick Syracuse team, and came away with some pretty good numbers.

Impressions at the holiday break are positive, for sure. This is a whole new look for a Penn State women's hockey team. They've never moved this quickly and been so offense-oriented. They stuff the neutral zone, too, and the forecheck is relentless. I was a little nervous with so many freshmen coming in and so many seniors disappearing late from the roster, but this freshman class is a good one, and their speed and skill have made the rest of the players step their games up, too.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 12-14-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Bothun is doing fine. She is good enough to give the current team a chance. 41+ shots will wear down a goalie in back to back games. Burke wore down last year at times.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

• Freshman forward Kiara Zanon was recognized as one of five NCAA standouts in the first month of 2020-21 play:

https://www.theicegarden.com/2020/12...h-of-ncaa-play

Comment

• Here's a six-minute video Q&A with head coach Jeff Kampersal:

https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...43942233485321

Comment

• Finally a little press - way short, but Merry Christmas Zed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Finally a little press - way short, but Merry Christmas Zed.
              Thanks - Merry Christmas to you, too!

Comment

• Nice press for Bothun and Zanon.

NCAAW: 10 notable freshmen at the holiday break (youthhockeyhub.com)

Comment

• 2nd half starts Jan 8-9 at RMU Friday at 7PM Saturday at 2PM Lantto, Machado, Weiss are back for the second half. Official announcement if they play based on testing comes Tuesday.
                  They then Travel to RIT the next weekend then RIT comes to Pegula.

Comment

• Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
                    2nd half starts Jan 8-9 at RMU Friday at 7PM Saturday at 2PM. Lantto, Machado, Weiss are back for the second half. Official announcement if they play based on testing comes Tuesday.
                    They then Travel to RIT the next weekend then RIT comes to Pegula.
                    Going by the schedules posted by the other CHA teams, this is how Penn State's schedule looks:

Jan. 8-9 vs Robert Morris - 7:00 PM Eastern and 2:00 PM Eastern - at Robert Morris
                    Jan. 15-16 vs RIT - 6:00 PM Eastern and 3:00 PM Eastern - at RIT
                    Jan. 22-23 vs RIT - 6:00 PM Eastern and 3:00 PM Eastern - at Penn State
                    Jan. 29-30 vs Lindenwood - 7:00 PM Central and 3:30 PM Central - at Lindenwood
                    Feb. 5-6 vs Robert Morris - 6:00 Eastern and 3:00 Eastern - at Penn State
                    Feb. 12-13 vs Mercyhurst - 6:00 Eastern and 3:00 Eastern - at Penn State
                    Feb. 26-27 vs Mercyhurst - 2:00 PM Eastern for both games - at Mercyhurst

It's great to see Rachel Weiss, Mikayla Lantto, and Alyssa Machado will be playing. That's three more forwards to work with, and presumably gets Rene Gangarosa back to her place on defense. That still leaves the defense one player short of having three lines, so maybe Kampersal will be shuffling defenders so they get more rest than they've been getting.
                    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 01-04-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Freshman forward Kiara Zanon has been named the WHCA National Rookie of the Month:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/1/...the-month.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                        Freshman forward Kiara Zanon has been named the WHCA National Rookie of the Month:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/1/...the-month.aspx
                        Nice to see PSU getting some national recognition. After watching some games in other conferences (HE/WCHA), I believe the CHA has made substantial gains and anxiously await the opportunity to see some cross conference competition at some point post pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Nice to see PSU getting some national recognition. After watching some games in other conferences (HE/WCHA), I believe the CHA has made substantial gains and anxiously await the opportunity to see some cross conference competition at some point post pandemic.
                          It is a nice thought but they are not ready for the weekly grind of the WCHA

Comment

• Originally posted by agfire View Post

It is a nice thought but they are not ready for the weekly grind of the WCHA
                            What do you mean the "weekly grind"? I watched both Minnesota St vs Wisco games (yes I'm hockey deprived), and Minnesota St gave Wisco everything they could handle. There is no longer a big gap and parity exists amongst conferences.

Comment

• Minnesota State is a very good team. Are you saying Wisconsin and the rest of the WCHA is comparable to the CHA?

Comment

• Penn State is back at it tonight and tomorrow at Robert Morris, with live video being $9.99 per game (https://portal.stretchinternet.com/rmuwhockey/). Tonight's game is at 7:00 Eastern, and tomorrow is at 2:30 Eastern (note: Penn State's schedule says tomorrow is at 2:00...Robert Morris says 2:30).

Like the four-game Syracuse series, this one will be a good test for Penn State, taking on one of the two perennial leaders in the CHA. Robert Morris just played on Monday, basically a scrimmage against Adrian, and Penn State last played on December 12, so we'll see if any of that matters to either team.

Comment

Working...
                                X