No announcement yet.

2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zed nice recap carrie byrnes is a great story. She is a walk on. With regards to the Freshmen according to Nuetral zone they are the number 2 recruiting class in the nation.
    They have all played at a very high level. IF you look at the Roster as it is currently constructed most of the players have either been on their countries u-18 team or been invited to the final 66. I was at the game yesterday and 15 is a STUD. For you former gopher fans Mira Jalouso with better hands. Wallin will be back next week. and Machaddo will be here in Janurary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Lion Vision is nice. I'm watching right now. It's tough to compete against football. I count 13 skaters and I do not see 29 and I think her skating style is so unique that I would be able to pick out if she switched numbers. 3 forward lines and four d looks like the plan yesterday. Things change with this coaching staff on a regular basis so the lineup is rarely the same.​​​​​​
      #28 (Mikayla Lantto) will be back next season, so I'm guessing she got hurt in practice, but I don't know anything about #29 (Rachel Weiss), who I really want to see play this season. Kampersal doesn't have enough players to just be experimenting with matchups for lines, so Weiss must be on injured reserve, too, or she would definitely be in the lineup. I'm with you on line changes, though...I'm sure he's going to be mixing and matching for a bit.

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
      Zed nice recap. Carrie Byrnes is a great story. She is a walk on.
      She snuck in under the radar, for sure - she was just a little excited to score yesterday!

If you look at the roster as it is currently constructed, most of the players have either been on their countries U-18 team or been invited to the final 66. I was at the game yesterday and 15 is a STUD. For you former gopher fans Mira Jalosuo with better hands.
      #15 is Jessica Adolfsson - she plays on Sweden's national team, too, since 2016, and the Swedish national U-18 team before that. Her dad was at a home game last season wearing her national team jersey - fun guy to talk to. Adolfsson has a rocket for a slapshot, and they could've fed her at the blue line quite a few times yesterday and didn't.
      Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 11-30-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Penn State and Lindenwood finish the first period tied 1-1, with Natalie Heising scoring 39 seconds into the game for Penn State. Penn State came out hot, but Lindenwood kind of stole the momentum after their goal, and Penn State slowly took it back by the end of the period. Lindenwood took four penalties in that period to Penn State's one. Josie Bothun is in net again, so yesterday wasn't any kind of trial run or anything. Penn State leads the shots on goal 15-7.

Comment

• Penn State added three more goals to go up 4-1 after two periods. Goals came from Amy Dobson, Kiara Zanon, and a blue line rocket from Jessica Adolfsson (been dying to see one of those). Penn State leads the shots on goal 39-15, putting up 24 shots on goal in the second period.

Comment

• No scoring in the third, so Penn State takes this one 4-1 to sweep Lindenwood in the series. Lots of penalties in this game, with Penn State taking five and Lindenwood taking eleven. Penn State finished the game up 58-22 in shots on goal. Freshman forward Kiara Zanon is going to be nursing some bruises for a while, as she got beat up the whole game, and this one started turning into a typical CHA chipfest by the end of the game. This series was a good showing by a young Penn State team that still has to find its groove. It's going to be interesting to see them against a team like Syracuse instead for the next two series.

Comment

• So here is what I saw at the game yesterday. The Lions got stronger as the game went on they were out of sync a little bit early but got better as the first period went on.
              The third line was really good. especially when he switched up Byrnes and Gough. The third line drew 5 penalties. If they they get to have a season the rest of the way. I saw that the 2nd RIT Syracuse game was postponed because two players for RIT tested Positive. So hopefully the series against Syracuse will go on as scheduled. If they get to play the remainder of the games in the first half and have a Normal 2nd half they will be really good. Talking to parents that have seen the early signees they say they are excellent players. Kampersal knows how to put a team together. Granted it is only two games but in the covid year Just playing is a positive.

Comment

• Lindenwood looks like the cupboard is bare so it is best to temper expectations until Syracuse rolls in. One has to wonder what Goff was thinking for leaving RIT to go there, but maybe Lindenwood offered some nice money. That's just an outside observation and I have no clue.

Another breakaway on a power play is a concern. Nice that Bothun bailed out the team on that play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                  Lindenwood looks like the cupboard is bare so it is best to temper expectations until Syracuse rolls in.
                  Absolutely - Lindenwood wasn't exactly a stern test, but they were a good opponent to have for just getting out on the ice and shaking things loose and getting going. Syracuse will be a much harder test, for sure, but I'm looking forward to it. Syracuse is going to test this young Penn State team, and they'll be a lot quicker and sharper than Lindenwood was, so they will be a better measure of what these freshmen bring to the table.

One has to wonder what Goff was thinking for leaving RIT to go there, but maybe Lindenwood offered some nice money. That's just an outside observation and I have no clue.
                  I'm wondering if she left when RIT was saying they were canceling their winter sports, because she would've heard chatter about that before the rest of us did, so maybe that made her decide to bail for Lindenwood. Then RIT reversed itself and started a hockey season anyway...ugh. I'm just guessing, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

I'm wondering if she left when RIT was saying they were canceling their winter sports, because she would've heard chatter about that before the rest of us did, so maybe that made her decide to bail for Lindenwood. Then RIT reversed itself and started a hockey season anyway...ugh. I'm just guessing, too.
                    As of September when RIT updated their roster on the website, she wasn't on the roster that I saw. I also don't really imagine she'd switch mid-semester, but I don't really know.
                    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                    Men's Frozen Four 2010
                    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• In Monday's game, against Lindenwood, Penn State had a total of 13 skaters and 3 goalies. The backup goalie on the bench was Annie Spring. Strangely, I noticed that Cam Leonard, was dressed and (basically) seated in the stands next to the bench instead of being with the team on the bench. Is there a reason that both Annie and Cam were not seated next to one another on the bench? Overcrowding on the bench? Some obscure NCAA rule that says you can't have two backup goalies in the bench area? It would seem to me that you would want the two of them next to one another discussing and analyzing the play of the opponent goalie and picking up anything that may help our shooters.

Comment

• Partly covid protocol and partly comfort.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillydog View Post
                          It would seem to me that you would want the two of them next to one another discussing and analyzing the play of the opponent goalie and picking up anything that may help our shooters.
                          In normal times, the backup goalies for most teams have door duty and spend more energy cheerleading for their teammates than anything else.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Penn State's final scheduled home series is this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, against Syracuse. Both games are at 2:00 Eastern. They play Syracuse again the following weekend at Syracuse.

This weekend has BTN+ broadcasting the games at Penn State, and the best (cheapest) streaming package is a monthly school pass for $9.95:

https://www.btnplus.com/secure/subsc...NTHLYPENNSTATE

That won't get you the Syracuse series the following weekend, too, but it's the cheapest way to watch this weekend at Penn State. There is nothing scheduled for the CHA after the holidays, so this may be the final Penn State home series of this shortened season.

Comment

• Checked out the Byrnes girl and she was committed at Brown. I thought it was a bit of a stretch to be a true walk on without any D1 interest. JK has a history of knowing the ins and outs of IVY league recruiting and obtained Fidler from Harvard and now Byrnes from Brown.

​​​​​​The good thing about Lion Vision is that it is free, the bad news is at least for me I have trouble rewinding. (Can't do it at all).

The team looks faster overall, but smaller and I'm interested to see how it works out in the smashmouth CHA. Evidently PSU will not have the option of playing out of conference this year. Under JK, the team seems to play better out of conference.

The girl that is Now going to Minnesota who was supposed to goto PSU next year is at Edina which is the school that produced Slattery, Fidler and Uihlien. Hmmm.

I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the roster, but you have to dance with who you came to the dance with.
                              Last edited by Reddington; 12-04-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• A little background on Brynes .Yes she was committed to Brown but because of the funky way the Ivy's decided to go to school moved to Penn State. She was not on Kampersalls radar but was persuaded to email JK by one of her teammates because most of the Canadians on the team opted out. The second phase of the schedule will be announced over the holidays.
                                Got the word yesterday that the players will have to be back on campus on Jan 31. Originally they were supposed to be back Jan 3. They are going to try to get going earlier after the Holidays. The rumor from the girls is that there might be some crossover with Hockey East depending on Vaccine and testing. All the athletes are testing daily. With the new CDC requirements of quarantine 7 days with testing a semi full schedule seems possible. Of course this is all fluid

Comment

Working...
                                X