2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

The Daily Collegian made me want to go back over every roster in Penn State's eight years at D-1 and see who I would grab to make an all-time full team. By "full team", I mean three complete lines (nine forwards, six defenders, and a different goalie for each line). With Penn State being such a young program, and having had too much time with less than stellar coaching at the beginning, there aren't the easy superstar picks to put on an "all-time" list, and there were players who I think could have been so much more with better leadership guiding them.

The few obvious standouts are joined by players who added something of their own to the team without necessarily burning up the record books, and there were a few more that I had to trim from the list to keep it at three lines. Also on the list are a few freshmen from last season who made the list on having shown as much potential as they did, and who I think are going to mature into some very good players. Anyway, here's my all-time team:

FORWARDS
    Shannon Yoxheimer
    Amy Petersen
    Laura Bowman
    Brooke Madsen
    Abby Welch
    Shea Nelson
    Katie Rankin
    Natalie Heising
    Rachel Weiss

DEFENSE
    Kelley Seward
    Kelsey Crowe
    Rene Gangarosa
    Izzy Heminger
    Mallory Uihlein
    Jessica Adolfsson

GOALIES
    Jenna Brenneman
    Chantal Burke
    Celine Whitlinger

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      The Daily Collegian has come out with their idea of an "all-time" Penn State women's hockey team, and there are only two players on it who are not on the current team. If you've followed the program for a while, it won't be too hard to guess which dynamic duo of former players made the list:

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...39b7c69c0.html

(EDIT: Actually, they should have called it an all-time best line, not best team, as they only name three forwards, two defenders, and one goalie)
      Couldn't help but notice that the all-time best forward line consists of three Minnesota girls.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Couldn't help but notice that the all-time best forward line consists of three Minnesota girls.
        And the Minnesota players now goto Cornell and Quinnipiac instead. It's all interesting. However, it is hard to argue with his current incoming class. I have to say I like it.

Zed, I think you are spot on on your list above except for Sutton for Adollfson. Sutton has the second highest point total for a d in a year and left the program with that record until it was broken. Adollfson needs to stay healthy this year.

In the Daily Collegian article, I have a hard time leaving Yoxheimer out of the top forwards. The program took a hit when she graduated. It's hard to argue with the numbers enunciated in the article, but Peterson and Bowman were still there when the program crashed. I'm not going to choose one to bump and I like the Ice Garden's format of one extra and Yoxheimer should get the nod.
        Last edited by Reddington; 06-05-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          The Daily Collegian made me want to go back over every roster in Penn State's eight years at D-1 and see who I would grab to make an all-time full team. By "full team", I mean three complete lines (nine forwards, six defenders, and a different goalie for each line). With Penn State being such a young program, and having had too much time with less than stellar coaching at the beginning, there aren't the easy superstar picks to put on an "all-time" list, and there were players who I think could have been so much more with better leadership guiding them.

The few obvious standouts are joined by players who added something of their own to the team without necessarily burning up the record books, and there were a few more that I had to trim from the list to keep it at three lines. Also on the list are a few freshmen from last season who made the list on having shown as much potential as they did, and who I think are going to mature into some very good players. Anyway, here's my all-time team:

FORWARDS
          Shannon Yoxheimer
          Amy Petersen
          Laura Bowman
          Brooke Madsen
          Abby Welch
          Shea Nelson
          Katie Rankin
          Natalie Heising
          Rachel Weiss

DEFENSE
          Kelley Seward
          Kelsey Crowe
          Rene Gangarosa
          Izzy Heminger
          Mallory Uihlein
          Jessica Adolfsson

GOALIES
          Jenna Brenneman
          Chantal Burke
          Celine Whitlinger
          Crowe still has a couple of records at PSU:
          Most assists by a d in a year 15 and most blocks 83.

Gangarosa and Heminger are closing in on all the records.
          Gangarosa has best +- in a year and most pts in a year by a d and most goals by a d in a year. She is also second in blocks in a yr to Crowe. Heminger ties Crowe for third in most pts by a d in a season.

Heminger is 4th all time in scoring for a d and Gangarosa is 5th. Uihlien had a real nice frosh year and is actually 4th all time for blocks in a year.

The Mercyhurst video highlights featured a lot of 27 and 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            Zed, I think you are spot on on your list above except for Sutton for Adolfsson. Sutton has the second highest point total for a d in a year and left the program with that record until it was broken. Adolfsson needs to stay healthy this year.
            Bella Sutton was a real step up for the defense when she came to Penn State, and I remember watching her as a freshman and liking how much offense she had in her game. She's one of those players who I'd have on a full-size roster, but I just couldn't fit her onto a "three lines" list at the cost of leaving out Jessica Adolfsson. I chose Adolfsson over Sutton because she's bigger and stronger than Sutton and has the same kind of offensive skills. Because Adolfsson lost her sophomore season to injury, the attraction for me is her huge potential. She's big, strong, and very smart defensively, with a rocket of a shot thrown in for good measure.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
              Bella Sutton was a real step up for the defense when she came to Penn State, and I remember watching her as a freshman and liking how much offense she had in her game. She's one of those players who I'd have on a full-size roster, but I just couldn't fit her onto a "three lines" list at the cost of leaving out Jessica Adolfsson. I chose Adolfsson over Sutton because she's bigger and stronger than Sutton and has the same kind of offensive skills. Because Adolfsson lost her sophomore season to injury, the attraction for me is her huge potential. She's big, strong, and very smart defensively, with a rocket of a shot thrown in for good measure.
              Those are all good points, but 2 pts through 11 games for a 21 year old sophomore is lacking for me. Perhaps the Uihlien Adollfson combo did not work. Adollfson Rolph worked two years ago. Getting her back full strength can only be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                Those are all good points, but 2 pts through 11 games for a 21 year old sophomore is lacking for me. Perhaps the Uihlien Adollfson combo did not work. Adollfson Rolph worked two years ago. Getting her back full strength can only be a good thing.
                Morgan Rolph is another big physical defender, so you're right that pairing her with Adolfsson sure looks good. I liked the pairing with Uihlein, too, if for nothing more than having someone with Adolfsson's size and experience working with Uihlein as a freshman. But Rolph is 5-11 and Adolfsson is 5-9, so that's a nice big pair to have together. I really am with you on liking Bella Sutton, so I hope I'm not sounding dismissive of her (she had a hilarious sense of humor, too).

Comment

No worries - it's all in fun and a matter of perception and stats. It was nice for Rolph suit up for every game or close to every game after sustaining an injury the year before. I hope Adollfson can pull that off too.
                  Last edited by Reddington; 06-06-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• If anyone figures out how to set an avatar up, feel free to share. I can't find it anywhere on this new forum look.

Comment

• The latest "Meet The Freshmen" video features incoming defender Lyndie Lobdell, who won a gold medal in January with U18 Team USA (along with fellow incoming freshman Kiara Zanon):

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...27631546302464

Comment

• Lobdell should fit right in like Uihlien. A bit on the small side after watching the few videos I could find, but that has not stopped Heminger from being a major contributor. It is really amazing on the dearth of videos of female hockey players.

Comment

• Most players are recruited when they were in 8th or 9th grade so the videos you find (when you can) won't be very recent. By end of 10th grade, even the mid D1 level players are picked over and usually committed by then.

Comment

• https://www.theicegarden.com/platfor...s-about-future

Comment

• I had not seen this article.

Comment

• That's more about Pegula than I'd heard before - good find!

Comment

Working...
                                X