No announcement yet.

2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine players have been named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...29078480203776

I think non-fans of hockey assume players are just meatheads playing a game, but these players are impressive in the classroom. Many players show up at Penn State (and every other university) unsure of what their major will be, but by the time they leave they have "brainiac" tattooed on their forehead.

Comment

• From the Pegula Ice Arena twitter feed: https://twitter.com/PegulaIceArena/s...40356992573444

This should be fun...never a dull moment when Penn State gets to rewrite some "new policies and procedures".

Comment

• Piggybacking off of Reddington's "no 2020-21 hockey" thread (https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...n-on-scenarios), just to get specific about how it pertains to Penn State...

It brought up a thought about Penn State players like Jenna Brenneman and Jessica Adolfsson, who both already missed all of last season to injuries. If there is no 2020-21 hockey season, they lose a second consecutive hockey season.

In Brenneman's case, she already graduated. Would she even consider sitting out a second consecutive season just to play one more year (two years after graduating from college)? She would have to be enrolled as a grad student if the 2020-21 season is on and she's going to play. If the season is cancelled, does she just say "screw it" and get on with life after hockey? What a story for her - she sat for two seasons at Clarkson behind Shea Tiley, but left with two national championship rings, came to Penn State to get playing time and got one full season, then got injured and lost her senior season...ouch.

Adolfsson is a whole different story, being from Sweden and already on the Swedish national team. Although she's only gotten one full season at Penn State, she has options in Sweden, so if 2020-21 were cancelled and she decided two years of sitting took the shine off of an NCAA career, hockey wouldn't be over for her. I guess it depends on how important a Penn State degree is for her. I really wouldn't be surprised if she just walked away and focused on hockey at home, but I'd hate to lose her from the Penn State team.

Comment

• Adollfson also has the possibility of the Olympics in two years.

The Ivy League is supposedly moving football to the Spring on Wednesday. It's not clear on other sports including hockey.

RPI said no fall sports. It is not clear on winter sports. If some teams play and others don't scheduling could become problematic or a Bonanza to teams that are going to give it a go.

Comment

• The Friday film segments only lasted two sessions. The season is on the brink. Maybe the whole team can go-to Sweden and join Adollfson as exchange students and play there as the NCAA might not be an option. All of a sudden Sweden's numbers are looking spectacular. I heard Fauci use that word the other day when describing the virus and thought it was apt.

Did they forget to introduce Machado or is she not enrolling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              The Friday film segments only lasted two sessions. The season is on the brink. Maybe the whole team can go-to Sweden and join Adollfson as exchange students and play there as the NCAA might not be an option. All of a sudden Sweden's numbers are looking spectacular. I heard Fauci use that word the other day when describing the virus and thought it was apt.

Did they forget to introduce Machado or is she not enrolling?
              Penn State posted the 2020-21 roster, and Alyssa Machado is on it, so no telling where her intro video went: https://gopsusports.com/sports/women...roster/2020-21

Interesting roster tidbits - Jenna Brenneman is listed, so she's officially in the mix for 2020-21. A notable absence from the roster: Loli Fidler is not on it. What an absolute waste of potential with her - she could have done big things at Penn State.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                A notable absence from the roster: Loli Fidler is not on it. What an absolute waste of potential with her - she could have done big things at Penn State.
                Double secret probation?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Good catch on roster being posted. There are definitely some answers to questions: Brenneman yes, Slattery yes, Adollfson yes, Machado yes and Fidler. Now will there be a season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Good catch on roster being posted. There are definitely some answers to questions: Brenneman yes, Slattery yes, Adollfson yes, Machado yes and Fidler. Now will there be a season?
                    I was glad to see Jessica Adolfsson didn't throw in the towel, and is back for a 2020-21 season, if there is one (and I doubt there will be). I noticed she isn't listed as a redshirt, but maybe having played in 12 games last season, before her injury, nullified a redshirt option.

I was kind of surprised to see Sophie Slattery on the roster when Loli Fidler got cut - they were both in the dog house all of last season, but apparently Slattery chose to work her way out and Fidler didn't. I wonder if Fidler will ever understand the opportunity she threw away.

With Jenna Brenneman officially on the roster, Jeff Kampersal officially has kind of a funny "problem", having five goalies for 2020-21. If there is no 2020-21 season, I really can't see Brenneman (who was a 2019-20 graduate) sticking around for yet another year, just to see if there will be a 2021-22 season. I even wonder if Chantal Burke would stick around after she graduates next May, if there is no 2020-21 senior season for her.

2021-22 is supposed to end with the women's national tournament being hosted at Penn State.

Comment

• This morning I see Penn State took down the 2020-21 roster - no idea what that's supposed to mean. No big deal, really, since we've already seen it.

Comment

• Those are all big questions on a lot of minds, the job market in May 2021 could have a lot to do with a lot of players' decisions and just not at Penn State.

Comment

• Celeste Brown has been named the new Head Coach at RIT. https://ritathletics.com/news/2020/7...key-coach.aspx
                          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                          Men's Frozen Four 2010
                          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                            Celeste Brown has been named the new Head Coach at RIT. https://ritathletics.com/news/2020/7...key-coach.aspx
                            I'm happy for her returning to her alma mater to be the head coach - I wondered how long Penn State was going to be able to hold onto her. I hope she can get RIT moving upward again. I remember her as an RIT player and didn't like her playing against Penn State because she was so tenacious, but loved her as a coach here. Best of luck to her!

Comment

• Somebody on here called Celeste to RIT and it turned out to be quite the prognostication. Davis had PSU figured out, it will be interesting to see how the grasshopper fares against PSU.

Comment

• Congrats to Celeste Brown. We shall see how it all plays out. Glad to see that the WCHA got their 8th team without hitting up the CHA as well. Now we just need this pandemic to end so we can get back to the games. Kind of funny, I was trying to decide if I was even missing hockey fandom considering some of the nonsense and challenges that go with it... then a reporter I follow posted a pic of the Blue Jackets practicing at the Ice Haus in Columbus....and I realized just looking at a pic how much I miss it.

Comment

Working...
                                X