Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

    Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Don't try to sell us that she left the girls' team to give the second-string goalie more playing time. That's a load of crap. These goalies left solely to further their own interests. When there's a viable girls' team to play on, I just feel the girls should play on that team (that includes not leaving your hometown team for a private school as well). It makes the team better and it makes the girls' sport better. When the most talented players stay in their hometown girls' programs, it leads to more program success which typically begets more participation at the youth levels and which continues to grow the sport which benefits all female players of all ages. Is a great player obligated to do this? Certainly not. For me it's about the bigger picture. And I'm not just talking hypothetically. I lived this as my daughter who had ample opportunity to leave but stayed and saw it absolutely had a positive impact beyond her statistics and D! scholarship. I would also add these players can certainly find opportunities to play with boys in the spring, summer and fall if they feel that will improve their game.

    Finally, yes, this is a soapbox issue for me which I realize many will disagree. I see windmills in my future.
    Nobody is saying she moved to the boys because she felt sorry for the backup.
    The fact that she played boys and played well on a mediocre team.
    She could have easily stayed on the girls side and not be challenged and not get any better won all the awards
    and then take a half year to adjust to women"s hockey.
    I ran into Winny this week and asked her what she thought.
    " Josie doesn't give up rebounds I have never seen anything like it." "By playing boys she has learned to play the puck like a boy and communicates better than any girl I have coached"
    pretty glowing endorsement. I asked Matt Funk the Cretin Derham Hall boys coach about her and he thought that the Forest Lake coaching staff would have had a better record if they had not split the time and she had played more. "Penn State is getting a good one maybe a program changer."(funk)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by oggie View Post
      Nobody is saying she moved to the boys because she felt sorry for the backup.
      The fact that she played boys and played well on a mediocre team.
      She could have easily stayed on the girls side and not be challenged and not get any better won all the awards
      and then take a half year to adjust to women"s hockey.
      I ran into Winny this week and asked her what she thought.
      " Josie doesn't give up rebounds I have never seen anything like it." "By playing boys she has learned to play the puck like a boy and communicates better than any girl I have coached"
      pretty glowing endorsement. I asked Matt Funk the Cretin Derham Hall boys coach about her and he thought that the Forest Lake coaching staff would have had a better record if they had not split the time and she had played more. "Penn State is getting a good one maybe a program changer."(funk)
      She and her family did a great job taking care of her career. They have every right to do that. It’s just not what my family and my daughter we’re about. I felt better about my kid contributing to the larger program and it has paid dividends for her well beyond hockey. And there is no arguing that, when the best players play on the boys’ side, girls hockey suffers in multiple ways.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
        She and her family did a great job taking care of her career. They have every right to do that. It’s just not what my family and my daughter we’re about. I felt better about my kid contributing to the larger program and it has paid dividends for her well beyond hockey. And there is no arguing that, when the best players play on the boys’ side, girls hockey suffers in multiple ways.
        Program changing - I like the sound of that. But, when Burke was hot she was at .945. My guess is they share. Of course Brenneman has the absolute right to redshirt as she only played in 2 games. I go back to that article where Kampresal says she might be here or somewhere else as a grad transfer.
        BC, Colgate, RIT and Minnesota come to mind.
        The forum needs a new topic

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

          Originally posted by oggie View Post
          Nobody is saying she moved to the boys because she felt sorry for the backup.
          The fact that she played boys and played well on a mediocre team.
          She could have easily stayed on the girls side and not be challenged and not get any better won all the awards
          and then take a half year to adjust to women"s hockey.
          I ran into Winny this week and asked her what she thought.
          " Josie doesn't give up rebounds I have never seen anything like it." "By playing boys she has learned to play the puck like a boy and communicates better than any girl I have coached"
          pretty glowing endorsement. I asked Matt Funk the Cretin Derham Hall boys coach about her and he thought that the Forest Lake coaching staff would have had a better record if they had not split the time and she had played more. "Penn State is getting a good one maybe a program changer."(funk)
          Good luck everyone at Penn State. Oggie is her Dad, I think it's like the 4th different Name he's used on here. You can tell what you're going to get with this one. Going from rink to rink asking everyone who will give his kid a glowing endorsement is not an overstatement It really happens. By the way, if by some chance she doesn't have a good game or good results it is because someone else is at fault. Final note, If you are that good do you think the team's parents and players would really let you go play somewhere else that easy? Maybe they couldn't stand the constant fishing for attention and it was easy to say BYE BYE.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post


            I'm going to try over the summer, probably in vain, to talk some sense into Penn State and get them a little less anal about cameras/equipment at Pegula Ice Arena. Just saying "no tripods", and not even considering their size, is a bit overboard. Shooting hockey videos is pretty new to me, but it's fun.
            If they gave you a media credential would you be allowed a small tripod? All the strict rules don’t make a ton of sense given the circumstances of the games played. Good luck in talking sense into them!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

              Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              If they gave you a media credential would you be allowed a small tripod? All the strict rules don’t make a ton of sense given the circumstances of the games played. Good luck in talking sense into them!
              Yes, a media credential would settle them down, and allow me to use the tabletop tripod (about 12" tall) that I used all season anyway, but they've already denied my request for credentials - because I'm not media. The person who handles the credential requests is the same person who doesn't want players at post-game skates to have my little action cam to skate around with, so I knew in advance I wouldn't get a media pass from him. I requested one anyway, just so I can say I tried. I had one the first couple years of Penn State D-1 hockey, and was just a fan like I am now.

              Everything at Penn State revolves around money somehow, and I'm sure the broadcast contract with BTN+ figures into things if you twist it up enough. Obviously, nobody is going to be allowed to do their own livestream at games, especially when they're being broadcast by BTN+, but who would even think they could? And like I said, I understand and agree with a ban on regular stand-behind tripods - there's no place for them without blocking a walkway. Someone in blue and white just came up with a "no tripods" policy, but didn't think it through and get a little more specific.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                For the 2020-21 season, it would be nice for Jeff Kampersal to be able to set up lines and leave them alone, so they can form some chemistry. I thought that was a bit of an issue in 2019-20, with lines being mixed up frequently.

                Penn State has three returning senior forwards: Natalie Heising, Shea Nelson, and Katie Rankin. Then it will be one junior, three sophomores, and five freshmen - and Amy Dobson, who is rostered as a defender, but she was a forward last year, so she looks like next season's version of Katie McMillan, playing either end as needed.

                The defense is intact, assuming all goes well with Jessica Adolfsson's rehab over the summer, and they add incoming freshman Lyndie Lobdell from the national U18 gold medal team (she was also a teammate of Shea Nelson in Chicago). The only issue would be that there are three lines of defenders and no more, so any injury would be a problem. That's where Amy Dobson's versatility would come in.

                Goalies won't be a problem, except the good kind of problem. It's going to be interesting to see who grabs the starting spot, and they're going to have to earn it. For the sake of argument, assume Jenna Brenneman is coming back as a grad student/redshirt senior/whatever. If so, having her and Chantal Burke on a roster as seniors is good stuff. If Brenneman decides instead to take her degree and go home, good luck unseating Chantal Burke from the starting job. Josie Bothun comes in as a freshman, so we'll see where her game is when she gets here. At worst, she'll be a junior after Brenneman, Burke, and Cam Leonard are gone.

                I think probably the most pressure is on the group of five incoming forwards, because they're absolutely going to have to show up ready to play and make an impact from the start, and not just get their feet wet in D-1 hockey. I don't know if Kampersal would keep seniors Heising, Nelson, and Rankin together, or split them up to anchor three lines.
                Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  For the 2020-21 season, it would be nice for Jeff Kampersal to be able to set up lines and leave them alone, so they can form some chemistry. I thought that was a bit of an issue in 2019-20, with lines being mixed up frequently.

                  Penn State has three returning senior forwards: Natalie Heising, Shea Nelson, and Katie Rankin. Then it will be one junior, three sophomores, and five freshmen - and Amy Dobson, who is rostered as a defender, but she was a forward last year, so she looks like next season's version of Katie McMillan, playing either end as needed.
                  So you’re counting out Fidler and Slattery who will be Jr forwards next year?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                    Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    So you’re counting out Fidler and Slattery who will be Jr forwards next year?
                    Oops...I guess I got too used to them being out this season. So add a senior forward and a junior forward to the 2020-21 list, until someone official says otherwise with those two.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                      Went to Walmart yesterday for groceries and left just shaking my head at the nonsense. If anyone has a guess as to when the stockpiling circus will end so I can go buy a normal load of groceries like a normal person, I'm all ears. On a bright note, I got the last two frozen cheese pizzas...now on sale from my freezer for $50,000 each. Please, no fighting.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                        Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                        On a bright note, I got the last two frozen cheese pizzas...now on sale from my freezer for $50,000 each. Please, no fighting.
                        I happened to buy a freshly baked pepperoni pizza at Costco yesterday for $9.99. Carried it out to my car without anyone trying to steal or buy it from me! Was in and out of the store in less than 15 minutes.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                          The NCAA posted its top moments this season in women's hockey, and Chantal Burke made the list for this series of saves against Providence:

                          https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/st...04253220012033

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                            Went to Walmart yesterday for groceries and left just shaking my head at the nonsense. If anyone has a guess as to when the stockpiling circus will end so I can go buy a normal load of groceries like a normal person, I'm all ears. On a bright note, I got the last two frozen cheese pizzas...now on sale from my freezer for $50,000 each. Please, no fighting.
                            Toilet papering your trees will increase the value of your home by 200%
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

                            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                              Does anyone know why USCHO is so bad at helping someone with their account? I bought a new PC four days ago, and couldn't log in here because I had no idea what my USCHO password was anymore, so I asked for help resetting my password. The only response I got, three days later, was an email asking, "Do you still need help?". That's it, nothing after that. So, anyway, I added a letter to my user name and made a new account.

                              How is everyone doing with the self-imposed "quarantine"? On a side note, I'm so willing to stimulate the economy that I've decided to offer to take anyone's stimulus check if they don't want it, and stimulate the hell out of the economy for them. I would do this for you, free of charge, because...ummmm...'murica, or something.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

                                Originally posted by ZedLeppellin View Post
                                Does anyone know why USCHO is so bad at helping someone with their account?
                                As with most things on USCHO, there isn't staff, or even a full-time person, whose job it is to monitor administrative issues. I'm guessing that most of the available admin hours invested go to keeping the site operating, and there isn't resource for fixing issues that impact a single user. This is just a guess as another forum user; I'm not speaking officially for USCHO.

                                Originally posted by ZedLeppellin View Post
                                I bought a new PC four days ago, and couldn't log in here because I had no idea what my USCHO password was anymore, so I asked for help resetting my password.
                                It's unfortunate that the forum still uses an outdated method of requiring an admin to reset a forgotten password, rather than upon request sending a reset-password email to the address associated with the account. When it has forced me to change my password over the years, I always immediately change it back to the one password that I remember here; otherwise, I'd be in the same situation as you.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X