Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State signs Alaina Gianpietro.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ina-giampietro
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-11-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Also signed Sydney Morrow.
      She looks like a very good pickup.

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...-sydney-morrow
      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-11-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• We have her signed and she's AWESOME but I'm a bit confused, the team website shows she was supposed to be on the 20-21 roster.
        Anyone know why the delay?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofie_Lundin
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-16-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          We have her signed and she's AWESOME but I'm a bit confused, the team website shows she was supposed to be on the 20-21 roster.
          Anyone know why the delay?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofie_Lundin
          No inside info at all. In general terms, my guess would be: Last year pandemic, this year limited scholarship $$. Nothing really to be gained by speculating about the particulars.

Will enthusiastically welcome her when she arrives!

Comment

• In a game that was probably closer than the final 6-3 score, Ohio State took game one earlier tonight against Minnesota State. The Mavericks struck first in this one on a goal from Kennedy Bobyck. The Buckeyes answered with two late goals from Clair DeGeorge and Paetyn Levis to take a 2-1 lead into the first intermission. Ohio State added two more goals in the second period to take 4-1 lead at the second intermission. Brittyn Fleming scored for the Mavericks in the third period to cut into the lead to 4-2. The Buckeyes answered on a goal from Lauren Bernard to make the score 5-2. Minnesota State did not go away and got a goal from Alexis Paddington to cut the Ohio State lead to 5-3. The Bucks answered on a goal from Liz Schepers to close out the scoring. The goal was a milestone goal for Schepers as it was her 100th point! The final was 6-3. The Bucks outshot Minnesota State 51-14 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 11 of the 14 shots she faced to get the win. Maverick goaltender Avery Stilwell stopped 45 of the 51 shots she faced. The teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 1:00 pm EST.
            Last edited by osualum86; 11-20-2021, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Most interesting aspect of the game is that Mankato‘s goalie is actually on the Mavericks tennis team and only joined the hockey team four days ago to play goalie this weekend as their other three goalies are out due to injuries. Evidently she played goalie in high school hockey. Not a bad performance on her part!

Comment

• Final Score From Friday, November 19th
                Ohio State 6
                Minnesota State 3
                Buckeyes Deep Six Mavs

Buckeye Depth will be an underlying theme all season long. It's like a great rock band. Sure, everybody knows the most popular hits. But a real fan goes further and finds the Deep Tracks. Those deep tracks can be every bit as satisfying as the headliners. Sometimes more so. And so it is with Women's Hockey at The Ohio State University.

No doubt the Purple think they're Deep as well. There's no question that Minnesota State has some fine players. But Friday evening it was the Buckeyes who were the Smoke on the (Frozen) Water.

Coming to the OSU Ice Rink to play the Buckeyes? Be prepared to swim in deep waters. With the sharks.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: (tie) Kennedy Bobyck, and Avery Stillwell
                Kennedy is one of those fine Mankato players. Not intimidated in the least, she dove right in and opened the scoring. It was fine solo dash, coming off a head-man pass from Jessica Kondas. Bobyck certainly earned our respect on the scoring play. But the goal left Buckeye Fans with a strange, unsettling feeling. It was the first time all season that Ohio State had been behind on home ice.

As for Avery, Offsides Guy let us in on her astonishing story. Four days with the team, then called on to make 45 Saves. Many of considerable difficulty. On several of the Buckeye goals it took a second or third try to finally beat the courageous Stillwell.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie) Sophie Jaques, and Madison Bizal
                Buckeye Buzzer Beaters! Ohio State closed out the 2nd Period with a last second goal. The Puck was deep in the Maverick's Zone. Claire DeGeorge dug deep, winning the puck & sending it back to Madison. Meanwhile, Sophie charged the net, finding a clear lane to the back door. Diagonal pass from Bizal, puck squeezed through the Mankato Keeper by Jaques. All with 1 second left. As confirmed by video review.

#3 Star: Brittyn Fleming, Minnesota State
                First Line Center Fleming actually started the Bobyck scoring play by winning a defensive zone face-off. At the start of the 3rd Period, Brittyn added a goal of her own.

You have be impressed with the Mavericks top set of forwards. When comparing the numbers for each team's top line, you'll find they look pretty similar. Fleming, along with Linemates Bobyck and Brooke Bryant, were all +1 for the game. Despite the fact their team lost by three. Nice work.

Now about that Buckeye Depth...

#2 Star: (tie) Liz Schepers, Ohio State and Paetyn Levis, Ohio State
                The Buckeyes 2nd Line of DeGeorge, Levis & Schepers turned in a deeply satisfying performance. When these three come down the ice, it's an impressive Rush. Just watching them play is actually quite a rush.

Admittedly referring to this group as a depth line is a bit of a misnomer. They're all Top Six forwards. They certainly get their share of the Limelight. You might say they're living the dream. The Universal Dream. Regardless, just get past any alienation and go with the underlying theme.

How good were Schepers & Levis? Liz had a goal and 2 assists; and was +2 for the game. Paetyn had 2 goals & 2 assists, and was also +2. These stars lit up the Ice Rink Friday night.

#1 Star: Claire DeGeorge, Ohio State
                But the the brightest star of all was DeGeorge. Claire had a goal & three assists for a 4 point night. Only Paetyn matched that total.

The timing of the DeGeorge points was crucial. Claire bagged the first goal for the home team, tying the game and restoring order. She then proceeded to assist on the next three tallies, re-establishing the Buckeye comfort level. The final assist came on what proved to be the GWG.

Up Next: Buckeyes/Mavericks Rematch. Early Start @ 1:01PM Saturday. Going Head-To-Head With Buckeye Football Today. Translation? Traffic Gut Check.

About The Preview Thing: The previously posted Preview has been updated; this is now my final answer! Hope it was worth the wait.

Coming Soon: The 3 Stars of Saturday's Game.
                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-21-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                  Most interesting aspect of the game is that Mankato‘s goalie is actually on the Mavericks tennis team and only joined the hockey team four days ago to play goalie this weekend as their other three goalies are out due to injuries. Evidently she played goalie in high school hockey. Not a bad performance on her part!
                  That is amazing. We noticed she didn't have a nameplate and wondered about that. Since I went the preview route with Friday's 3 Stars, I'll plan to add Avery to the post.

EDIT: Update Complete.
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-20-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• That impresses me about Minnesota State's goalie, massive kudos to her!
                    I don't know who recalls but some years ago our men's team had a goalie quit after losing the starting job and then we had injuries at goalie so we borrowed the catcher from the baseball team who played goalie in HS!

Comment

• The Buckeyes came out today and flexed their muscles with a 9-0 win. Ohio State opened the scoring with four first period goals from Jennifer Gardiner, Jenna Buglioni (2), and Madisyn Wiebe to take a 4-0 lead into the first intermission. Wiebe's goal was her first as a Buckeye! The Buckeyes added two more goals in the second period from Clair DeGeorge to take a 6-0 lead into the second intermission. Ohio State was not done and added three more goals in the third period to win it 9-0. The third period goals were scored by Liz Schepers, Riley Brengman, and Gabby Rosenthal. The Bucks outshot the Mavericks 48-19. Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele got the start and her first shutout, stopping all 19 shots she faced. Avery Stilwell started for the Mavericks and saved 39 of the 48 shots she faced. After learning about Minnesota State's goaltending situation, I have to give a ton of credit to Avery Stilwell this weekend for stepping into a really tough situation. Hats off to that young lady! Ohio State will head to Arlington, Virginia, next weekend to participate in the D1 in DC Tournament. The Buckeyes will play St. Lawrence Friday and Penn State Saturday. Minnesota State will be off next weekend and will host St. Thomas on 12/3-12/4.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 11-21-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                        Most interesting aspect of the game is that Mankato‘s goalie is actually on the Mavericks tennis team and only joined the hockey team four days ago to play goalie this weekend as their other three goalies are out due to injuries. Evidently she played goalie in high school hockey. Not a bad performance on her part!
                        https://www.crowrivermedia.com/indep...ee4dab594.html

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, November 20th
                          Ohio State 9
                          Minnesota State 0

Unexpected Route & Unexpected Rout

Commuting to The Ice Rink was an adventure this weekend. On Friday we were competing with a Vice Presidential Visit, and a major event at the Schottenstein Center. I had to take a pretty creative route to get to campus. On the ice, Friday's game was quite competitive. Pretty much what I expected.

But then there was Saturday. OK, the Football Traffic Jam was expected. But on the ice, the Buckeyes started scoring just 4 minutes into the game, and never looked back. Based on Friday, I was confident the Buckeyes could score on the Mavs. But I sure didn't see a nine goal rout coming.

Lots of Stars to choose from. This time Ohio State captures the full list. But ranking the Chosen Stars on this occasion appears to be a fruitless endeavor. So for this edition only, the Stars will be listed by jersey number - in descending order.

FIVE STARS Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Well-Used STARting Assignment: #30 Amanda Thiele
                          Saturday's goalie? Amanda got the nod, and she took full advantage of the opportunity. Thiele saved all 19 shots she faced, earning her first shutout as a Buckeye.

Successful STAR Search: #16 Madisyn Wiebe
                          In a line-up loaded with veterans, Madisyn is something of an exception as a Freshman. But it looks like recruiting Wiebe was a Successful STAR Search. Madisyn is STARting to Produce; Saturday she recorded her first goal as a Buckeye.

STARtlingly Good:#14 Claire DeGeorge
                          What a weekend for Claire! DeGeorge added 2 goals & 1 assist to her harvest, for a series total of 6 points. She finished Saturday's game at +4, for a series total of +6.

STARk Reality: #13 Riley Brengman
                          Riley scored on her own rebound. But the puck exited the net so quickly play continued on; with most of us none the wiser. When a break in the action finally came, video replay confirmed the STARk Reality: Brengman's Blast had found the twine after all.

STAR Power: #10 Jenna Buglioni
                          As previously noted, the top set of Buckeye Forwards was somewhat neutralized on Friday. But they came roaring back with a vengeance on Saturday. I'll let Jenna represent her line. And why not? Buglioni's scoring streak continued with 2 goals & 2 assists. Jenna was a +5 on the day; the best single day +/- number for the series. Perhaps even better, she scored the 2nd & 3rd Buckeye goals, breaking the contest open. Jenna produced, and the rout was on.

Up Next: Thanksgiving Special: D1 In DC Tournament. Ohio State Takes On St. Lawrence & Penn State In Our Nation's Capitol.

Comment

• The ladies had to work a little harder to control the game against St.Lawrence but it all worked out.
                            What pi*sed me off is I purchased the tournaments streaming package from Sport Live Streams and I was NOT happy! After I purchased it and opened the stream a message appeared "direct streaming not available" so I couldn't send it to my big screen through my Chromecast.
                            Hell, it wouldn't even expand on my phone so I had to watch on a two by inch and a quarter window! What a ripoff!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              The ladies had to work a little harder to control the game against St.Lawrence but it all worked out.
                              What pi*sed me off is I purchased the tournaments streaming package from Sport Live Streams and I was NOT happy! After I purchased it and opened the stream a message appeared "direct streaming not available" so I couldn't send it to my big screen through my Chromecast.
                              Hell, it wouldn't even expand on my phone so I had to watch on a two by inch and a quarter window! What a ripoff!!
                              I feel for you, Hockeybuckeye! We are down here and are going to games. So, I went into that Sport Live Streams website and purchased the D1 in DC package for $7.99 hoping to watch a replay of the game tonight and they don't have replays. So, I tossed my $7.99 out the window. Sorry to hear that the quality is bad!

As for the recap, as Hockeyebuckeye indicated, the Saints made the Buckeyes earn it today in a 5-2 win. St. Lawrence scored first on a goal by Aly McLeod to take a 1-0 lead. Jenn Gardiner got the Buckeyes on the board with a power play goal to knot it at 1-1. Later in the first period, the Buckeyes turned it over in their own zone and St. Lawrence's Shailynn Snow made them pay with a goal that put the Saints up 2-1 at the first intermission. That would be the last goal the Saints would score today as Ohio State came out and took over in the second period with three unanswered goals from Gabby Rosenthal, Jenn Gardiner, and Paetyn Levis to take a 4-2 lead into the second intermission. Neither team scored in the third period until Ohio State's Sophie Jaques buried an empty netter to put the Bucks up 5-2 and seal the deal. Ohio State outshot St. Lawrence 46-17 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 15 of the 17 shots she faced to get the win. St. Lawrence goaltender Lucy Morgan stood tall for the Saints, stopping 41 of the 46 shots she faced. Both teams will be back in action tomorrow here in Arlington VA with St. Lawrence taking on Minnesota-Duluth and Ohio State taking on Penn State. Penn State upset UMD in the second game today 3-2.

Comment

• Well winning the tournament was sweet. The game against Penn State went like I thought it would. We had too much talent for them and we play as physical a game as you'll see in women's hockey although we do get the more than occasional two minute reminder on how physical we made it.

Comment

Working...
                                X