No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2021-2022 ... Destination: Happy Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm always fascinated by how much the extra few feet of width between Madison and OSU comes up when the two teams play. Muzz specifically practiced the PK at LaBahn so her players didn't start drifting out towards the boards, giving UW more time and space. (The OSU PK is so damn good)

Anyway, that narrower ice in Columbus will come into play. OSU's forecheck took away so much decision-making time for UW and they'll be even tighter passing lanes.
    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Yeah, I have a special passion for the AF museum. My father was on the B-17's in the war and my daughter is in the AF reserves. Getting promoted to E5! I like to wear my dad's silver wings in honor of him when I'm there.
      If you do make it here I'm sure OSUalum86 would be in on with me taking you across the street to the Varsity Club bar for some brews and eats where we could talk hockey to our heart's content! Perhaps some time off work for the drive and games and a full day for the museum?
      You can definitely mark me down for taking Timothy A to Varsity Club for food and beverages!!

Comment

• The Buckeyes took game one of their series with St. Cloud State earlier tonight by a final score of 5-2. The Buckeyes came out on fire, scoring three goals in the first period. Ramsey Parent opened the scoring, then the Buckeyes got a goal from Paetyn Levis. Hadley Hartmetz finished the scoring in the first period for the Buckeyes. It was Hartmetz' first goal as a Buckeye. Give the Huskies credit as they came out firing in the second period and scored two goals within a two-minute period to get within a goal at 3-2. The St. Cloud goals were scored by Emma Gentry and Klara Hymlarova. The Buckeyes would get a goal from Paetyn Levis to take a 4-2 lead and that is how the second period ended. Ohio State's Sophie Jaques added a goal in the third period and the game ended with Ohio State on top 5-2. The Buckeyes won the shots on goal battle 40-13 with Andrea Braendli and Amanda Thiele combining to stop 11 of the 13 shots they faced. St. Cloud's Emma Polusny stopped 35 of the 40 shots she faced. The two teams will wrap up their series tomorrow at 2:00 pm EST.

Comment

• Final Score From Friday, October 29th
          Ohio State 5
          St. Cloud State 2

Halloween Fun At The OSU Ice Rink

Eerie times in the Lake Erie State. But no, it's not an apparition. The Buckeyes really are Perfect Killers. The PK really is a spotless 26 for 26 on the season. Tonight the stat was 4 for 4. That would always be a good thing. But it was noticeably helpful tonight. Successful kills came with the Buckeyes guarding leads of 1-0 & 4-2. Huskies conversations at those junctures would have significantly changed the complexion of the game.

Yes, of course. The Buckeyes wore their infamous Black Jerseys for the occasion. Some Drop Shadow Orange on the jersey numbers would have completed the look. But it turned out the Buckeyes were plenty spooky enough.

And move over Elm Street. The Huskies had their very own Nightmare on Lane Avenue during the first period, being outshot 19-0. OK. Maybe, just maybe, 1 or 2 of those wide shots were actually on target. But the Buckeyes did a great job keeping St. Cloud away from the Ohio State net, while pouring on intense pressure in the offensive zone.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: (tie) Emma Gentry and Klara Hymlarova
          Some teams might have been been dispirited by the first period barrage they endured. But the Hard Working Huskies weren't dead yet. Instead, they came out for the second period fully recharged & got 2 quick goals from Emma & Klara.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Ramsey Parent
          The Buckeye 4th Line might have liked a little more ice time last weekend against the Badgers. But whatever the exact cause, Madisyn Wiebe/Lexi Templeman/Parent came out flying against St. Cloud. That effort was rewarded on the game's opening goal. The play began with Lexi sending a pass back to Madison Bizal back at the point. Next, a D2D pass from Bizal to Riley Brengman. Riley fired, and a nifty re-direct by Ramsey proved to be the Trick that completed the play.

#3 Star: Hadley Hartmetz, Ohio State
          The GWG was Hadley's first goal as Buckeye. The Treat? The Game-Used Puck, of course.

The scoring play was initiated by Lauren Bernard, who wrapped the puck around the boards in the offensive end. Hadley held the zone, then dished off to Jenna Buglioni behind the Huskies net. Crashing the slot, Hartmetz got the puck back and found the twine with some Halloween Magic!

#2 Star: Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State
          Speed kills. And Boo-glioni is lightning fast. Jenna's quick strike forecheck Haunted St. Cloud all night long, particularly on that Perfect PK.

As noted above, Jenna had the primary assist on Hadley's goal.

#1 Star: Paetyn Levis, Ohio State
          Paetyn was positively Levitating tonight. After an extended stretch with the Buckeyes guarding a 1-0 lead, Levis bagged the goal that broke open the first period. Then, with the Buckeyes guarding a 3-2 lead in the second period, Paetyn righted the ship for good with the 4th Buckeye tally.

That play began with Sophie Jaques charging into the slot, and putting a stiff shot on goal. Claire DeGeorge was positioned on the right post, creating a major distraction for the St. Cloud netminder. The puck wound up to the left of the net, and was recaptured by the joint efforts of Jennifer Gardiner & Levis. It was Levis who ultimately pushed it home.

Two goals, both at key junctures, earns Paetyn the #1 Star.

Up Next: Buckeyes/Huskies Rematch at 2:01PM Saturday. Come To The OSU Rink. If You Dare!

Comment

• Re: Halloween Fun At The OSU Ice Rink

Scary good, pgb-ohio! :Big Grin!:
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• 10-1 final! What a game!
              I'd give a paycheck to see a win like that over Wisconsin.

Comment

• The Buckeyes completed the sweep today in dominating fashion with a 10-1 win. The Buckeyes opened the scoring in the first period with two goals from Paetyn Levis and Jennifer Gardiner to take a 2-0 lead. St. Cloud did not quit and came back to make it a 1-goal game with a goal from Jennina Nylund. The teams went to the first intermission with the Buckeyes leading 2-1. The second period was a different story as the Buckeyes scored 7 goals within the first ten minutes of the period to put the game away. The second period goals were scored by Gabby Rosenthal, Lexi Templeman, Jennifer Gardiner, Paetyn Levis, Hadley Hartmetz, Brooke Bink, and Sophie Jaques. The teams went into the second intermission with Ohio State leading 9-1. The Buckeyes got another goal from Sophie Jaques in the third period to finish off the scoring. The Buckeyes outshot the Huskies 52-11. Raygan Kirk started the game for Ohio State and stopped 5 of the 6 shots she faced through the first two periods. Quinn Kuntz came on in the third period and stopped all five shots she faced. Sanni Ahola and Emma Polusny combined to stop 42 of the 52 shots they faced for the Huskies. The Buckeyes will go on the road next weekend to take on St. Thomas. St. Cloud will return home to take on Minnesota State next weekend.

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, October 30th
                  Ohio State 10
                  St. Cloud State 1
                  Halloween Candy: The Feeding Frenzy

The kids I grew up with took Trick or Treating seriously. Maybe too seriously. But we were all in.

The collection route was planned & executed with military precision. Any accountant would have been proud of our careful post-harvest inventory. Even the most hardened commodities broker would have been impressed by the spirited trading period that followed. After all, a kid has to have the strongest possible candy portfolio.

And ultimately, the eating. At this point, parents sometimes intervened. The parents wanted us to pace ourselves; to stretch the candy out over weeks or months. Personally, my parents made me put a portion of my take in the freezer, emphasizing that this haul was for the long haul.

But there is another option. You can eat 7 candy bars in nine minutes and six seconds. Saturday Afternoon, the Buckeyes chose the latter option.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: Jenniina Nylund, St. Cloud State
                  For the most part, St. Cloud experienced the rematch as The Nightmare on Lane Avenue: The Sequel. But that didn't stop Jenniina from making a brilliant play to get the Huskies on the scoreboard. Nylund did it all: Created a neutral zone turnover, Charged the Buckeye net, Buried the shot. Teammate Taylor Lind hustled into to position for a possible rebound. But no assistance was needed this time.

#3 Star: (tie) All Twelve Forwards, Ohio State
                  Entering the 2nd stanza, the Buckeyes held a slender 2-1 lead. Then came The Feeding Frenzy. It began just 21 seconds into the period. It was a wonder to behold.

When you score 7 goals, a maximum of 21 scoring points can be earned. Incredibly, all 12 forwards got at least one point during the wondrous 9:06 run. Therefore, all 12 Forwards get a Star.

#2 Star: (tie) Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State; and Jenn Gardiner, Ohio State
                  You can make a case that St. Cloud shut down OSU's top line Friday evening. No goals; just one assist apiece. But that first set of forwards bounced back with authority on the retry. Saturday's 2nd Period turned out to be an instant classic. It started when Gabby reached into the candy pile and grabbed the largest Hershey Bar. The Confectionery Clash was on.

For the game, Rosenthal also had 2 assists, making for a three point day. Gardiner did her one better. Jenn's 4 point game stemmed from 2 goals & 2 assists. And of course I'm not forgetting about Jenna Buglioni, who added yet another assist to the Halloween Cauldron. (Remember Jenna got the #2 Star For Friday)

Naturally the bountiful harvest was a full team effort. But the First Line played a leading role.

#1 Star: Sophie Jaques, Ohio State
                  Sophie completed the Candy Combat with a Power Play goal. For good measure, she got the Buckeyes up to double digits, closing the scoring halfway through the 3rd.

Certainly the 'D' Corps were full partners in the remarkable goal production. I'm letting Jaques represent the full group.

Beyond that, Sophie gets Saturday's top spot in recognition of a full weekend's work. Totals for the Series: 3 Goals, 2 Assists & a Sparkling +7. Now that's a performance that demands a #1 Star.

Confidential To osualum86: Good To See That You & Mrs. 86 Made It To The Ice Rink For The Saturday Game. On An Incredibly Busy Sports Day At tOSU, That Took Some Doing!

Up Next: Travel To St. Thomas, For The First Ever Road Games With The Tommies.

Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-31-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Re: Halloween Fun At The OSU Ice Rink

Scary good, pgb-ohio! :Big Grin!:
                    Thank you!

I know that you're one my most loyal readers. I appreciate both your readership & this latest comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      10-1 final! What a game!
                      I'd give a paycheck to see a win like that over Wisconsin.
                      VERY appealing thought. I'm guessing it's going to take at least a full year's pay, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

VERY appealing thought. I'm guessing it's going to take at least a full year's pay, however.
                        That's going to be quite the bargain, IMHO I'm seriously underpaid!

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Confidential To osualum86: Good To See That You & Mrs. 86 Made It To The Ice Rink For The Saturday Game. On An Incredibly Busy Sports Day At tOSU, That Took Some Doing!
                          It wasn't easy, but for the special occasion of Alumni Weekend, we got a hotel room in the area instead of making the hour drive down from Marion. We don't do that for every home series, but we like to be there for special occasions like Alumni Weekend and Senior Weekend, and other big games. That enabled us to get out early and get down to campus in time to get a parking spot in the Lane Avenue garage, which is not far from the OSU Ice Rink! I don't know how many Parents get on here and read this, but I would like to give a shout out to all the Parents of the current players and Alumni Parents who came out this weekend! It was absolutely wonderful to see everyone. I was a coach in a previous life (different sport, not hockey), and one thing I figured out early on is the reason you have great kids is great parents. Love our girls, love their parents for raising wonderful young ladies, and sharing their daughters with Buckeye Nation!

Comment

• The Buckeyes were on the road earlier tonight to play St. Thomas. Ohio State got off to a slow start, but like a freight train, they picked up speed and became almost unstoppable in the second and third periods. The Bucks opened the scoring on a Clair DeGeorge goal late in the first period and the teams went into the first intermission with Ohio State holding a 1-0 lead. Ohio State got two goals in the second period from Kenzie Hauswirth and Lexi Templeman to take a 3-0 lead. Hauswirth's goal was her first as a Buckeye. The Tommies' Luci Bianchi answered to cut the deficit to 3-1. Ohio State's Jenna Buglioni scored late in the period to send the teams into the second intermission with the Bucks up 4-1. Ohio State added four more goals in the third period from Liz Schepers, Gabby Rosenthal, Jamie Grinder (her first collegiate goal), and Jenna Buglioni. Ohio State outshot the Tommies 45-9. Buckeye backstop Amanda Thiele stopped 8 of the 9 shots she faced. The Tommies' Saskia Maurer and Eryn Cooley combined to stop 37 of the 45 shots they faced.
                            Last edited by osualum86; 11-15-2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Another good win for the ladies tonight with a 8-1 victory! Brandli was not in net tonight which is why the Tommies got a goal but the real reason the Tommies were held to such a low score is we pretty much kept the puck in the offensive zone all game long. I'm surprised the Tommies had any legs left in the 3rd!

Comment

• Ohio State completed the sweep earlier today against St. Thomas by a final score of 6-2. The Bucks got on the board first on a goal by Clair DeGeorge in the first period and the teams went to the intermission with the Buckeyes on top 1-0. Ohio State would go up 3-0 in the second period on goals from Sophie Jaques and Liz Schepers. The Tommies answered with a goal from Luci Bianchi to make it 3-1. The Buckeyes would then get a goal from Gabby Rosenthal to reclaim their three-goal lead at 4-1. St. Thomas was not done yet and got a late goal from Lauren Stenslie to come to within 4-2 going into the second intermission. That was as close as the Tommies would come as the Buckeyes came out and scored two goals in the 3rd period to put it away. Ohio State's third period goals were scored by Sara Saekkinen and Liz Schepers got her second of the game to close out the scoring. If the box score I am reading is accurate, Ohio State outshot St. Thomas 64-7 in this one. Ohio State's Raygan Kirk stopped 5 of the 7 shots she faced. Tommies goaltender Alexa Dobchuk stopped 58 of the 64 shots she faced. The Buckeyes are off next weekend before returning home to take on the Minnesota State on 11/19-11/20. St. Thomas is also off next weekend and will be home against Wisconsin on 11/20-11/21.

Comment

Working...
                                X