No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2021-2022 ... Destination: Happy Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach Johnson could be sandbagging, but he paints himself as being rather old school in his approach. For example, a decade ago he would show up for the media conference at the conclusion of the WCHA tourney and claim to have no knowledge of where any team was in terms of the PairWise and who would be likely to be paired against whom. Maybe not so much recently, after having served on a selection committee or two. I always thought that was the kind of thing a coach would want to know, but Johnson didn't seem to care. Maybe it was a task delegated to Dan Koch, similar to yelling at the officials.

By comparison, Brad Frost has always seemed to be more aware of things like what the PairWise showed and the chatter on this forum that went beyond the straight PWR numbers. Of course, that didn't serve him that well this spring when he thought his team was safe, and there wasn't an endorsed computer model to show him that it wasn't. Before him, Laura Halldorson would even post on the forum, such as when a person who was connected to the program passed away. Although, that was a different era when players, coaches, and their family members would all more routinely post on here. Once we got down to "The 17", there just wasn't room for all of those people.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Wait...So you're saying the Muzzinator reads the forum? If true, that is both awesome and terrifying at the same time!
      Ummm, well, I ummm am sure an glad I never posted anywhere on this site where I sit at the UW homes games. Whew! The last thing I want is for the Muzzinator complaining to the Labahn ushers like the Kato coach did, or worse yet come over the glass and kick my arse. Haha. I may have to move up a few rows for those games LOL.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        Sitting here contemplating Mark Johnson reading the stuff here.... never in a million years. Just utterly inconceivable.
        I agree 100%. He's just not the kind of guy who is the least bit interested in anything the outside world has to say about him or the team. It's all about the process of a season and his family. Certain people are motivated by what they read the outside world says about him or the team, like Aaron Rodgers for instance. MJ is the polar opposite of him.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Coach Johnson could be sandbagging, but he paints himself as being rather old school in his approach. For example, a decade ago he would show up for the media conference at the conclusion of the WCHA tourney and claim to have no knowledge of where any team was in terms of the PairWise and who would be likely to be paired against whom. Maybe not so much recently, after having served on a selection committee or two. I always thought that was the kind of thing a coach would want to know, but Johnson didn't seem to care. Maybe it was a task delegated to Dan Koch, similar to yelling at the officials.

By comparison, Brad Frost has always seemed to be more aware of things like what the PairWise showed and the chatter on this forum that went beyond the straight PWR numbers. Of course, that didn't serve him that well this spring when he thought his team was safe, and there wasn't an endorsed computer model to show him that it wasn't. Before him, Laura Halldorson would even post on the forum, such as when a person who was connected to the program passed away. Although, that was a different era when players, coaches, and their family members would all more routinely post on here. Once we got down to "The 17", there just wasn't room for all of those people.
          If the OSU coach would decide to post on here, she already has THE moniker...
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

One period in the books and OSU outshoots St Thomas 14-6 but there is no score in the game. St. Thomas looks alright so far. OSU has more speed but the St. Thomas is holding up pretty well so far.

Correction...shots were 15-6 in favor of OSU.
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-24-2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Scoreless after the first period. St Thomas handling the speed of a WCHA team quite well, and even drew two tripping penalties on OSU (the only penalties of the period?)

The center ice camera from Ohio State is about as bad as ever, but on occasion the stream switched to secondary cameras from the corners of the rink, and they were MUCH better picture quality; the same quality as you would see from a telecast from Minn or Wisconsin, etc. So what the heck is with that lousy center-ice camera?

Comment

Forgot to mention... nice of Ohio State to give Woody Hayes a job ushering at their hockey games.

Comment

Well, the Muzzinator must have give quite a speech during the intermission as OSU has scored 4 goals in the first half of the second period.

Comment

6-0 final OSU wins...Shots were 51-16 for OSU

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      One period in the books and OSU outshoots St Thomas 14-6 but there is no score in the game. St. Thomas looks alright so far. OSU has more speed but the St. Thomas is holding up pretty well so far.
                      Will The Tommyettes and the Huskyettes be a fair fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

The center ice camera from Ohio State is about as bad as ever, but on occasion the stream switched to secondary cameras from the corners of the rink, and they were MUCH better picture quality; the same quality as you would see from a telecast from Minn or Wisconsin, etc. So what the heck is with that lousy center-ice camera?
                        I'm GUESSING it's because even in the top row the center ice camera can't clear the Plexiglas so it's filming through the glass which probably has a degree of distortion and reflection?
                        But it's still a rather small camera, not at all as large and professional looking as the cameras in the men's arena.
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-24-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Ummm, well, I ummm am sure an glad I never posted anywhere on this site where I sit at the UW homes games. Whew! The last thing I want is for the Muzzinator complaining to the Labahn ushers like the Kato coach did, or worse yet come over the glass and kick my arse. Haha. I may have to move up a few rows for those games LOL.
                          Haha, Timothy A, I know where you sit at Labahn! Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I will not tell the Muzzinator where you sit. All kidding aside, Ohio State opened the season with a bang tonight, welcoming St. Thomas to the WCHA with a 6-0 win earlier tonight. Don't be fooled, though, St. Thomas skated with the Buckeyes in a scoreless first period. Not sure what Coach Muzerall said to the team at the first intermission, but they came out firing in the second period and put the game away with four goals in a five-minute span in the second period. Brooke Bink opened the scoring at the 3:16 mark of the second period and her goal turned out to be the game-winner. Thirty seconds later, grad-transfer Clair DeGeorge scored her first goal as a Buckeye to put Ohio State up 2-0. Jennifer Gardiner and Paetyn Levis scored later in the period to put Ohio State up 4-0 at the second intermission. The Buckeyes added two more goals in the third period from Jenna Buglioni and Ramsey Parent to make the final score 6-0. The shots on goal totals were 51-16 in favor of Ohio State with Andrea Braendli stopping all 16 shots she faced and Tommies netminder Alexa Dobchuk stopping 45 of the 51 shots she faced. I would be remiss if I did not just say how great it was to be there in person support our girls. I did talk to some of the girls after the game and they totally reciprocated that it was great to have fans at the games again. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 2:00 pm EST. I expect the Tommies to be more competitive tomorrow, so the Buckeyes will need to bring their A game. Good luck to both teams tomorrow! Women's Hockey is back!

Comment

• Final Score From Friday, September 24th
                            Ohio State 6
                            St. Thomas 0
                            A Question Of Balance

The start of a new season brings a thousand million questions. But if the question is balance, the Buckeyes answered with a resounding yes. Six Buckeye Goals were scored -- by six different players. All four forward lines figured in the scoring.

If the Buckeyes keep this up, it's going to be pretty tough to limit myself to three when Searching for Stars. Not that I've ever constrained myself to three in the past.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Thomas Honorable Mention: Megan Korzack
                            As a 1st Line Center, Megan would probably rather be lighting up the scoreboard. But that didn't happen for any of the Tommies tonight. What Korzack did do was backcheck with great energy, usually against the Buckeyes top 2 centers. She definitely made the Buckeyes' job tougher. Her talent & tenacity were noticed & appreciated.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Andrea Braendli
                            I'm focused on offense tonight. But you can't top perfection. 16 Saves on 16 shots = Shutout. On the highlight reel save, Braendli stuffed a Tommie breakaway. Credit where credit is due. Congratulations on the shutout, Andrea!

Fourth Line Star Search:
                            The 4th Line patiently waited it's turn, then closed out the scoring with style. Madisyn Wiebe broke up a St. Thomas rush with an authoritative stick lift. Linemate Sara Saekkinen swooped in and grabbed the puck, immediately creating a 2 on 1 counter-attack. Cross-slot pass to Winger Ramsey Parent, who finished the job.

Third Line Star Search:
                            Brooke Bink
                            carried the torch for the 3rd Line. This time a Defender, Hadley Harmetz, started the play, holding the puck in at the left point. Next came a quick pass to Bink down low. Brooke threaded the needle on a tough angle shot from just above the end line. A shot on goal is never a bad play? True.

Second Line Star Search:
                            A Goal & an Assist for Power Forward Paetyn Levis. A Goal for Clair DeGeorge; an Assist for Liz Schepers. This could be a First Line. Maybe this was the 1A Star Search?

First Line Star Search:
                            A Goal & an Assist for the Sizzling, Speedy Jenna Buglioni. A Goal for Jenn Gardiner; an Assist for Gabby Rosenthal.

Ladies & Gentlemen, please give a warm round of applause to your 2021-22 Buckeye Forwards!

Up Next: Rematch With The Tommies @ 2:01PM On Saturday.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-25-2021, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I expect the Tommies to be more competitive tomorrow, so the Buckeyes will need to bring their A game.
                              If all 4 lines keep contributing, will that make it an AAAA Game? (smiling emoticon here.)

Comment

• One of the things that seemed the Tommies need to work on is they never seemed to deny the Buckeyes entrance to the zone.
                                of the new players for Ohio State I was really impressed with DeGeorge. Her size and presence on the ice is undeniable and not bad speed either! She was always trying to make a play, even when she's the only one there due to the line change.

Comment

Working...
                                X