Robert Morris dropping hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    One of their juniors signed an NWHL contract rather than transfer her senior season...would the NCAA let her rescind that and come back if she even wants to?
    Is the NWHL signing some premiere players? Are they going to be a big thing for hockey? Not trying to stir something up - I'm unfamiliar with them and signing a junior forward who was about 13th on her college team in scoring makes me wonder whether A-players are going there.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Is the NWHL signing some premiere players? Are they going to be a big thing for hockey? Not trying to stir something up - I'm unfamiliar with them and signing a junior forward who was about 13th on her college team in scoring makes me wonder whether A-players are going there.
      I will take this as a good faith question and an opportunity to evangelize about women’s pro hockey. :-) We have a thread on it too on this board. The Ice Garden SB Nation site is where you can learn the most.

The players in the USA Hockey and Hockey Canada pool (80ish players?) plus dozens of other women’s hockey players have left/won’t join the NW until working conditions improve. They had reasonable grievances and have made things better by sitting out and calling attention. The NW has made significant improvements since that crowd left 2 years ago so maybe those people will come back for the 2022 season but no one knows. Current average salary is $15k for a 24 game reg season, assuming teams spend to the 300k cap. As a result no they are not signing the most premiere players. Is NW
      going to be a big thing in women’s pro hockey? Right now going into their 7th season, they have the best infrastructure a women’s pro league in NA has ever had. Whether they become a big thing or not is dependent on a lot of factors, probably most important is whether the people in women’s hockey unite or remain fractured, can they renew and grow sponsorships, can they maintain and grow media coverage.

The existing NW players are decent though, and include both D1 and DIII alums, including a former US Olympian, NCAA champs, numerous players who played for their country at U18 level. A big hindrance to the on ice product is that they practice 2x a week, so from a fitness and structure and discipline perspective the NCAA game can be better. Also signing a player is dependent if that player wants to live in/ can find work in one of the 6 cities.

They have 6 teams - Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, New Jersey, Boston, Connecticut.

Comment

If you notice there is not one national team player from any country in the NWHL. The PWPHA players have been told that the NHL will not start a women's professional league while the NWHL is in existence. What woould seem to be the best soulution to the problem would be The PWPHA and the NWHL coming together and making the NWHL a minor league to the PWPHA then the NHL would probably get involved. Because that is what the NWHL basically is. I watched the ISobel cup nad truth be told women's college hockey is a better product.

Comment

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
          If you notice there is not one national team player from any country in the NWHL. The PWPHA players have been told that the NHL will not start a women's professional league while the NWHL is in existence. What woould seem to be the best soulution to the problem would be The PWPHA and the NWHL coming together and making the NWHL a minor league to the PWPHA then the NHL would probably get involved. Because that is what the NWHL basically is. I watched the ISobel cup nad truth be told women's college hockey is a better product.
          I was as patient as anyone with trusting that the NHL would get involved. It was worth exploring but the NHL has explicitly said they are not going to start a league any time soon. Even the PW has said they are now looking at different options.

The college product is better right now, you are right. I applaud those who are working towards a brighter future for the pro game because it speaks to the immaturity of the pro league infrastructure that the college game is better than pro.

I don’t know what the best solution is. Trying to patient for one more season.

Comment

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
            If you notice there is not one national team player from any country in the NWHL. The PWPHA players have been told that the NHL will not start a women's professional league while the NWHL is in existence. What would seem to be the best solution to the problem would be The PWPHA and the NWHL coming together and making the NWHL a minor league to the PWPHA then the NHL would probably get involved. Because that is what the NWHL basically is. I watched the Isobel cup nad truth be told women's college hockey is a better product.
            The NHL has not committed to starting a league even if the NWHL folds. I still don't understand why PWPHA players are so eager to hand an already monolithic organization a monopoly of their sport on the promise of a league that doesn't exist at the cost of a league that does. What happens if the NWHL folds and Bettman delivers less than promised? They have to take it because there's no other option, or just keep barnstorming.

I think if the Olympic players were to work out a deal where they get real equity in a league they grow (either the NWHL or a new league) they and the sport will be better off.

Boycotting the bird in the hand because Cassie Campbell is promising them that Gary Bettman is promising them a bush of infinite birds is shortsighted at best.
            Last edited by Scott_TG; 07-20-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

As stated on the other thread, the NHL wants more female hockey fans and are putting their efforts to get more girls playing youth hockey, especially in non-traditional markets. Any investments in the women's game will be focused there. They are not going to spend their resources so that ~100 women can make a living playing the game. It will be up to the women themselves to create and market a viable pro league, as it should. The pro level should not be charity but a product satisfying a market need.

Comment

I put your comment on the NA pro hockey thread as well Scott as that is where I perhaps should have responded to Uncle Ray this am anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Lindsay, I really appreciate you recognizing an honest question - I understand how it could have been construed as bleep-stirring. As you've explained the state of women's pro hockey, I now understand how this woman was signed to a contract. With the fractures and no history of a fan base (financial base), the league is reduced to signing whoever is willing/able to skate for peanuts. Women hockey players deserve to benefit from the same financial independence that their male counterparts do, but the financial backers will demand proof of viability first. It makes me wonder whether this first generation of women's pro players will need to be part-timers actually making a living doing something else to be able to pave the way for the next generation. In today's Now! and Me First society, it will take incredibly brave women.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

The women's team lost their coach, lost at least 1/3 of their roster, and other teams have scheduled. I don't see how they could get anything established for 2021-22.
                    Where did their coach end up? From everything I've learned about him, he is a good coach and a good person. I hope he found a good opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Where did their coach end up? From everything I've learned about him, he is a good coach and a good person. I hope he found a good opportunity.
                      I don't see where HC Paul Colontino ended up. Assistant Jen Kindret is the new HC of St. Anselm of the NEWHA, replacing Kerstin Matthews who left to be the Associate HC of BU.

Comment

Coming up to the deadline any news?
                        Talking to players at Beantown looks like most of them found new teams.

Comment

Working...
                        X