Harvard 2021-22: Back to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H3 Q2 F

(Harvard's second win over a ranked opponent since BC)

Comment

Harvard played well and had a little bit of luck after the Stefan-esque whiff at the mouth of the empty net.

Comment

Great weekend for the Lady Crimson. Sweeping Pinceton and Qpac in their buildings is tough and i thought the Crimson acquitted themselves very well. I don’t think the Bobcats are as good as their ranking. And certainly the Crimson deserve to move up. Was hoping that Becky Dutton would get the three peat shut out. Two one goal wins on the road has to be a confidence boost going into next weekend. Hoping that Harvard lifts the spectator restrictions although I’m not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Hoping that Harvard lifts the spectator restrictions although I’m not holding my breath.
          Problem is that they may not be commonsensical enough to distinguish between crowded, dangerous events like men's basketball and hockey or squash, and socially distanced events like women's hockey.

Comment

Yes, wonderful streak...five and oh over the last nine days, whipping some undermanned teams and shaving by some quite good teams, mostly on the road. Dutton has played the best hockey of her career.

Is it too early for prognostications?

Don't be too complacent about the current standings, because everybody else has a couple games in hand on us, and Yale has an exceptionally easy schedule remaining. So here are the remaining opponents for the conference leaders:

Hvd: Clarkson, Q, Colgate, Pr, StL, Cornell, RPI and U. Predict at least 17 points for a total of 51+ points
            Yale: Clarkson, Q, Pr, StL, RPI 2, Union 2, Brown 2,Predict at least 23 points for a total of 51.5+ points
            Q: Hvd, Y, Clarkson, Colgate, Stl, Cornell, RPI, Br, D,Predict at least 21 points for a total of 48+ points
            Clarkson: Hvd, Y, Q, Colgate 2, Cornell, Pr, Br, D 2,Predict at least 19 points for a total of 47.5+ points
            Colgate: Hvd, Cl, Q, Cornell, Pr, Stl, RPI, , D 2, U,Predict at least 21 points for a total of 43.5+ points
            Pr:Hvd, Y, Clarkson, Colgate, Stl, Cornell, RPI, Br, D,Predict at least 22.5 points for a total of 42+ points
            StL:Hvd, Y, Q, Colgate 2, Cornell, Pr, Br, D 2,Predict at least 18 points for a total of 40+ points

Comment

Much as it was satisfying to see Harvard clock as good a team as Clarkson (scoring a superabundance of goals that admittedly would have been more useful in any of the seven consecutive losses to Clarkson going back to [gulp!] 2013), here is the headline that will immortalize this game:

KATEY PLAYED A FIFTH LINE!

Well....Admittedly, the player who climbed onto the ice was ineligible because she wasn't on the game roster, but was, nonetheless, a 13th forward, and it therefore counts as using a fifth line, sort of.

Comment

Keeley Moy alert!
                Switzerland and Canada will play at 11:10 pm Eastern on Wednesday, February 2 and that game will air live on USA Network in the US.
                What if Emerance Maschmeyer gets the nod in goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                  ... Yale has an exceptionally easy schedule remaining. So here are the remaining opponents for the conference leaders:

Hvd: Clarkson, Q, Colgate, Pr, StL, Cornell, RPI and U. Predict at least 17 points for a total of 51+ points
                  Yale: Clarkson, Q, Pr, StL, RPI 2, Union 2, Brown 2,Predict at least 23 points for a total of 51.5+ points
                  On paper, it seemed that way.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Some eagle-eyed sleuth on the Clarkson bench called the refs’ attention to an “illegal lineup,” and sure enough, Harvard got a minor team penalty for the appearance on ice (very briefly, which I know is neither here nor there) of a skater who wasn’t on the dance card. Wow. I don’t know who made the illicit appearance, but it wasn’t Botterill or Ruggiero (which I also know is neither here nor there). The penalty was called at the start of the second period (00:00 in the box score), so the discovery must have been made at the first intermission, with H up 4-1 (which I know again is neither here nor there). But wow again. I guess it’s in the Rules & Regs, but the ensuing successful PK was the most gratifying PK I have ever held my breath for.

Comment

Much as it was satisfying to see Harvard clock as good a team as Clarkson (scoring a superabundance of goals that admittedly would have been more useful in any of the seven consecutive losses to Clarkson going back to [gulp!] 2013), here is the headline that will immortalize this game:

Well....Admittedly, the player who climbed onto the ice was ineligible because she wasn't on the game roster, but was, nonetheless, a 13th forward, and it therefore counts as using a fifth line, sort of.
                      Yeah, that was surprising about the additional player. Never would have thought that would happen to the Crimson. Nonetheless, tremendous to finally take out the frustrations of the past six or seven years on Clarkson. Harvard was overdue for a game like this one.

The schedule is going to be tough given the makeups. Wondering if they will make up the SLU game. That's a long trip for one game but I'm guessing there will be standings ramifications for both teams. Thinking that Harvard may have to play that game on the Monday or Tuesday after the Union/RPI weekend.

Comment

For yesterday’s game I had to rely on live stats for the first time in a very long time, and what a trip it was! Eighty percent of the shots came “from behind the net” and, not surprisingly, MISSED. Most of the rest came “from the rear center of the attack zone” and were invariably WIDE. There was one outlier “from the neutral zone” (MISSED!), and just a few “from in front of the goal,” but their fate was unknown. GOAL did pop up five times, but none of them seemed to come from any direction at all. The one feature I did appreciate from this ticker tape was the names of the players on ice during the scores. That’s the last thing some of our “play by play” guys think to give us fans squinting at a live feed.

It occurred to me that this had to be the first time at Matthews for these Harvard players. Old hat to HE, but a treat for first-timers, a real throwback barn. Ticker tape in a good sense. And even if the attendance was half of the 1,250 announced, it must have seemed like a Stanley Cup game to these Covid-starved athletes.

In the second game I was hoping for a Huskies win, since Harvard needs to go ten rounds with a heavyweight before the tournaments begin, but the Beanpot finals tend to bring out the heavyweight in everyone, so I’ll happily settle for BC.

Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-02-2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

[COLOR=#000000]Some eagle-eyed sleuth on the Clarkson bench called the refs’ attention to an “illegal lineup,” and sure enough, Harvard got a minor team penalty for the appearance on ice (very briefly, which I know is neither here nor there) of a skater who wasn’t on the dance card. Wow. I don’t know who made the illicit appearance, but it wasn’t Botterill or Ruggiero (which I also know is neither here nor there). The penalty was called at the start of the second period (00:00 in the box score), so the discovery must have been made at the first intermission, with H up 4-1 (which I know again is neither here nor there). But wow again. I guess it’s in the Rules & Regs, but the ensuing successful PK was the most gratifying PK I have ever held my breath for.[/COLOR
                          Remember the decade or more of coaches stopping play to challenge the bend, camber, torque or whatever of "banana blade" sticks?
                          Thank goodness that fad went away!

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

It occurred to me that this had to be the first time at Matthews for these Harvard players. Old hat to HE, but a treat for first-timers, a real throwback barn.
                            And, speaking of throwbacks, does anybody else remember those places near the Arena (sorry, Matthews Arena) that were eager to address the thirsts of under-drinking-age fans...such as The Tam or Crusher Casey's?

Comment

Well...........when was the last time you saw a shorty scored in a 6-on-3 situation? From 190 feet away?

Here's Emma Buckles' chance to come up with some tongue-in-cheek quotes:

Q - "After the second penalty was called, were you surprised to score right off the draw? A - "No, once we realized it was a 6-on-3 we remembered the set play off the faceoff just like we've always practiced it."
                              Q - "when did you last practice it?" A - "sophomore year, I think."
                              Q - "what did Coach say?" "She chewed out KDR because the draw back was our second option set play: KDR was supposed to win the other way and put it in the net herself."
                              Q - "What was your third option?" A - "That I pass it to the goalie and let her take the shot."
                              A- "By the way, it wasn't a 190 foot goal". Q - "No?" A- "No, I was cheating up from the goal line. It was only about 187 feet."

Comment

Well...........when was the last time you saw a shorty scored in a 6-on-3 situation? From 190 feet away?

Here's Emma Buckles' chance to come up with some tongue-in-cheek quotes:

Q - "After the second penalty was called, were you surprised to score right off the draw? A - "No, once we realized it was a 6-on-3 we remembered the set play off the faceoff just like we've always practiced it."
                                Q - "when did you last practice it?" A - "sophomore year, I think."
                                Q - "what did Coach say?" "She chewed out KDR because the draw back was our second option set play: KDR was supposed to win the other way and put it in the net herself."
                                Q - "What was your third option?" A - "That I pass it to the goalie and let her take the shot."
                                A- "By the way, it wasn't a 190 foot goal". Q - "No?" A- "No, I was cheating up from the goal line. It was only about 187 feet."
                                While it was a great draw and play by KDR and Buckles, the fact that Harvard was down 6 on 3 was inexcusable. They lacked discipline and focus in taking those penalties and it could have been disastrous for the Crimson. From near the end of the second period until the final whistle, Harvard played far too loose in their D zone and it almost cost them. The power play saved their bacon yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X