X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Bring back Crowell to coach the West?
    Yeah...that could work.

Maybe something a little less tongue in check is that Harvard should see if there are any players willing to go out on a sabbatical this year to play for Bobby Mo.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The full schedule is now out and the Crimson seem to be starting the season in late October with what can only be described as a scrimmage weekend: at Dartmouth Friday night, then home to Saint Anselm (!) Sat afternoon. With thirty-four pairs of legs to choose from they should be able to manage this. But seeing the Hawks on the schedule is a good reminder that with all the drama around establishing a truly professional women’s league, it’s nice to see demonstrable, continued growth/support at the collegiate level, where it counts: NEWHA, for example, and the push-back at RMU. Of course the big news on the calendar is Crowell’s return to Bright, accompanied by the Bulldogs, for New Year’s weekend. This ring-out-the-old/ring-in-the-new with the WCHA in town is BIG, really BIG, right up there with the Beanpot final against BC, come Feb 8th.

This fall’s big question for me is how well Zambonis can deal with rust. The early going could be pretty harrowing, especially for the Ivy goalies who haven’t seen serious SOGs for 18+ months. Are early league box scores going to show results like 15-8, 17-12, 23-22, resembling such ultra-finesse sports as lacrosse and water polo? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Comment

The full schedule is now out and the Crimson seem to be starting the season in late October with what can only be described as a scrimmage weekend: at Dartmouth Friday night, then home to Saint Anselm (!) Sat afternoon. With thirty-four pairs of legs to choose from they should be able to manage this. But seeing the Hawks on the schedule is a good reminder that with all the drama around establishing a truly professional women’s league, it’s nice to see demonstrable, continued growth/support at the collegiate level, where it counts: NEWHA, for example, and the push-back at RMU. Of course the big news on the calendar is Crowell’s return to Bright, accompanied by the Bulldogs, for New Year’s weekend. This ring-out-the-old/ring-in-the-new with the WCHA in town is BIG, really BIG, right up there with the Beanpot final against BC, come Feb 8th.

This fall’s big question for me is how well Zambonis can deal with rust. The early going could be pretty harrowing, especially for the Ivy goalies who haven’t seen serious SOGs for 18+ months. Are early league box scores going to show results like 15-8, 17-12, 23-22, resembling such ultra-finesse sports as lacrosse and water polo? We’ll just have to wait and see.

I just looked at the roster and could not believe the number of players. Has to be the largest roster in Harvard women's hockey history. Not sure how many will see the ice on a regular basis. Hoping that Katey will spread the ice time although how does one choose? As thirdtime pointed out, you could have split squad scrimmages leading up to the start of the regular season. Maybe that will resolve some of the playing time.

Comment

This is just what the boys in Vegas have been waiting for all summer:

https://www.uscho.com/2021/09/23/col...on-poll-seven-

I sort of get it that coaches are asked to get inside each other’s head this time of year; it’s traditional after all, but individual players should be left out of this
          pre-season show for their own sake. (Besides, this list misses a few sure bets.)

Comment

Skate79 wrote: "Hoping that Katey will spread the ice time although how does one choose?"

Answer: She doesn't choose! She plays all 34 players at once!
            Well, at least that's what the box scores and the individual stats table on the H website currently seem to say.....I sure couldn't count more than 18 skaters and three goalies at each game, but the box scores currently say that all 34 played each game but...wait a minute...the stats table says that each of the 34 played only one game (in which they scored a total of ten goals). Maybe we need to wait for a bit of clarification.

Actually, here's what my unofficial tally -- certainly subject to correction -- looks like:

Goal: Dutton and Reid 1 apiece

Defense: Willoughby, Biotti, both Macdonalds, and Buckles 2 apiece, Sorkin and Glover 1 apiece

Forwards: Top six forwards Della Rovere, Gilmore, Bloomer, Petrie, Moy and Jovanovich definitely 2 apiece, also I think a third line of Bayard, Thompson and Hollands 2 apiece, and Hyland, Dorr, Erhard, Chorske, Davidson-Adams and Lester 1 apiece

Comment

Conundrum resolved!

Just noticed that the "Cumulative Statistics" table says that in addition to the two Macdonalds there are also two players named Keely Moy, two named Ellie Bayard, etc.
              And one Ellie Bayard has scored two goals while the other has remained scoreless
              Oh, wait...the explanation must be that somebody has forgotten to click on a hypothetical "Add Individual Game Totals Together" button to make the "Cumulative Statistics" table...well, actually...cumulative.

So, looking at those players with two entries on the stats table and those with one, it's apparent that my memory was a bit faulty: evidently Sorkin and Lester played both games, not one; Thompson played only one; and Winges played one. That means also that they must have dressed 19 skaters, not 18, and had a seventh D each time.
              Last edited by Watson Rink; 10-24-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Does anybody remember the year that the team went into the playoffs being able to dress only eight forwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                  Does anybody remember the year that the team went into the playoffs being able to dress only eight forwards?
                  Why would that matter? Doesn't Katey Stone only ever play 2 lines?

Comment

This is just what the boys in Vegas have been waiting for all summer:

https://www.uscho.com/2021/09/23/col...on-poll-seven-

I sort of get it that coaches are asked to get inside each other’s head this time of year; it’s traditional after all, but individual players should be left out of this
                    pre-season show for their own sake. (Besides, this list misses a few sure bets.)
                    Anybody still up for a bet that RPI will finish a distant last place?

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                      Anybody still up for a bet that RPI will finish a distant last place?
                      Depends on how you define "distant".
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

What I found funny about the poll is that they show Harvard and Princeton tied for fourth place, followed by Q in what they think is fifth place. The result is that the poll shows RPI in last place at No. 11, in a 12-team league. Maths are hard.

Anyway, I agree that RPI is unlikely to finish last after having already swept Union (and adding to the perception that this may be a down year for HEA by taking down BU and PC).
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[late post]

After 600 days Harvard hockey came back. What can we say after their first weekend, in addition to noting that the new website is a cumbersome mess?

Two gimmes on paper became two gimmes on ice, though not without a few OMGs thrown in (PP anyone?).

Bloomer, KDR and Gilmore are back in harness on the first line. The freshman Taze Thompson skated with Petrie and Moy on the second line and went 31-3 in the faceoff circle. Jovanovich is anchoring a developing third line, and a fourth, all-freshmen line skated briefly at Dartmouth. Mia Biotti had a lot of shifts on the blue line, where she will no doubt find a welcome home. Freshman Ellie Bayard scored two goals against Saint Anselm. Over the course of the weekend Stone played 9 of her 11 recruited skaters.

We mustn’t forget the sophomores this season. All four saw a lot of ice time their freshman year and I'm guessing at least two will be crucial parts of the new mix.

Dutton got the senior's prerogative first start at Hanover, while Reed, facing 13 shots from the Hawks, can't yet tell us whether we will see the freshman Reed or the sophomore Reed in her junior year. Vote for freshman.

One highlight of the weekend was watching the refs review video for ten minutes before calling a five minute major and a match DQ against a Dartmouth player for "kicking," as in kicking.

Most of the rust at Bright Saturday came from the announcers’ booth. Later in the season when they hit their stride these guys can manage to ignore two-thirds of the action on the ice. Saturday the only time they went completely AWOL was just two-thirds of the third period. They should be aware of the fact that this really isn’t the year, and this certainly wasn’t the weekend, to chatter on about how so-and-so’s great-aunt Sally captained synchronized swimming at Ole Miss. “Juggling” doesn’t begin to describe the exciting task Stone is faced with this year and these guys need to change their M.O. and bring a little more savvy to their game. I’m going to change my M.O. and not mention them again all season, unless I have to.

The one player I was most looking forward to seeing was Katie Tresca. Due to injury she was limited to five and then six games in her first two seasons. It appears that she is out for yet another year, a tough row to hoe for a young athlete. Here’s wishing her well and hoping for a healthy senior year.

Next up . . . Cornell and Colgate. Sure. Why not? This could be the most exciting Crimson season in many hundreds of days.
                          Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-28-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Any time you beat Cornell, life is good. Hopefully it carries over to tomorrow’s big clash with the Red Raiders.

Comment

I enjoyed watching the Cornell game. I was a bit worried in the first period but Harvard seemed to get better as the game went on.
                              One player I noticed was Petrie (14) who could turn on an amazing amount of speed when needed.

I will probably miss the first couple of periods of the Colgate game due to the insane parking situation with the hockey game starting in the middle of the football game.

by the way, bring your mask as ushers we’re going around telling people to put masks back on.
                              also, bundle up. I have never felt colder in Bright than I did during the Cornell game.
                              I suspect the cold is due in part to Harvard’s climate policy plus the steep fuel price increases in the past year.
                              looking forward to a good year

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                                I have never felt colder in Bright than I did during the Cornell game.
                                I suspect the cold is due in part to Harvard's climate policy plus the steep fuel price increases in the past year.
                                I forget, what's Harvard's endowment again? : rolleyes :
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X