Harvard 2021-22: Back to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard 2021-22: Back to Work

Katey Stone said that the upcoming bench was going to be a “monster,” and while I think she was referring to its size, let’s hope there’s more to it than that. We’re due. In any case ten members of the class of 2025 will join the four members of this past year’s recruits for a grand total of fourteen newcomers. (Why does a man my age have to navigate Twitter to find out about this stuff?) So Harvard is ready to move beyond this year’s “roster” of three.

Class of 2024:
    Paige Lester (F, Aeros), Eva Dorr (F, Mt. Lebanon), Rose O’Connor (D, Nobles), Taze Thompson (F, New Hampton).
    Intel?

Class of 2025:
    Emily Davidson (G, Lawrence Park), Kayley Crawford (F, Minnetonka), Hannah Chorske (F, Edina), Daisy Boynton (G, Middlesex), Mia Biotti (D, BB&N), Ellie Bayard (F, Nobles), Gabi Adams (F, Ontario), Jenna MacDonald (D, Rivers), Alex Pellicci (G, Prior Lake), Eleanor Winges (D, Episcopal / Dallas).

Sixteen months ago someone came through the glass doors separating a 70-degree indoor track meet from a 40-degree hockey game, watched the action on the ice for a few minutes, then came up to me and announced that Harvard was getting somebody special in 2021 . . . “special” as in the real deal. And then, as quickly as he had come, he was gone, disappeared back into the world of pole vaulters and hurdlers. It was as if he was an intelligence mole and I his unwitting contact, now entrusted with crucial, though partial, information. Who is she? Does she really exist? I have the thinnest of clues, but I need verification. Trust but verify. Does anyone out there know of a really real deal in this gang of ten, or even a big deal. I’ll settle for a big deal.

For more details:

https://gocrimson.com/news/2021/5/20...r-2021-22.aspx

Maybe Harvard is getting a hockey player who can pole vault?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Maybe Harvard is getting a hockey player who can pole vault?
      If you, of all people, can't see something good here, we're sunk.

Comment

Again, not saying it is the gold standard, but Neutral Zone has this class as the 2nd rated class in 2021 (only behind Minnesota), with stars of 1x4.5, 2x4.25, 1x4.0, 2x3.5, 1x3.25, 1x3.0 with 2 unranked. It looks like a pretty good class. Having multiple 4.0+ star recruits is pretty dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
          If you, of all people, can't see something good here, we're sunk.
          Oh, oh. That could be taken a number of ways, and I'm not sure that any of them are good. I'm just ignorant about your recruits for the most part. Because the U-18 Worlds were wiped out, I'm guessing a Harvard class of 14 lost some credits to the resumes that it could have otherwise boasted. Hannah Chorske is a nice player, but I don't know that she's the kind of franchise talent that would pull someone away from a track meet. IMO, Harvard is a lot like BC, in that even if the team is down, there will always be some blue-chip talent on the roster.

Comment

Oh, oh. That could be taken a number of ways, and I'm not sure that any of them are good. I'm just ignorant about your recruits for the most part. Because the U-18 Worlds were wiped out, I'm guessing a Harvard class of 14 lost some credits to the resumes that it could have otherwise boasted. Hannah Chorske is a nice player, but I don't know that she's the kind of franchise talent that would pull someone away from a track meet. IMO, Harvard is a lot like BC, in that even if the team is down, there will always be some blue-chip talent on the roster.
            I suspect that our presumed standout is a local kid, so her being off your radar is OK, I guess. If Cornholio and Neutral Zone have it right, you and the Gophers will be seeing her in Durham in 2024, when the class of '25 will peak.
            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 05-26-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

https://gocrimson.com/news/2021/6/11...ent-award.aspx

Katey Stone wins USA Hockey Distinguished Achievement Award. First woman to have ever won the award. Award has been around since 1991 and has an impressive list of winners. Congrats to Coach Stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                https://gocrimson.com/news/2021/6/11...ent-award.aspx

Katey Stone wins USA Hockey Distinguished Achievement Award. First woman to have ever won the award. Award has been around since 1991 and has an impressive list of winners. Congrats to Coach Stone.
                Congratulations to her. It looks like the two people recognized for their work involving women's hockey have been Ben Smith and now Katey Stone, 23 years apart. Does Mark Johnson have to wait another 23 years to join the list, or did he accomplish enough on the men's side so that he can cut into the line?

Comment

Does Mark Johnson have to wait another 23 years to join the list, or did he accomplish enough on the men's side so that he can cut into the line?
                  Mark Johnson is there, but you have to look close (2005).

(Happy to see other Wisconsin representation there, particularly Jeff Sauer.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Well it’s settled then. He needs to wait 23 years for recognition on the women’s side. Jk jk USA hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      Good point. Given Neal Broten is on the list as a solo artist, (not sure if '80 Olympic Team includes Herb Brooks or not), I think that the MJ question remains.

Comment

Here’s some truly inventive Ivy spinning:

https://ivyleague.com/news/2021/7/1/...-and-likeness-

"One of the fundamental philosophies of the Ivy League is that student-athletes should have the same opportunities as all students, including the option to engage in projects that use their name, image and likeness," Ivy League Executive Director Robin Harris said.

Does this mean that athletes can finally get on board the same gravy train long enjoyed by students of celestial mechanics and medieval history? Wow.

Comment

Harvard has posted its 2021-22 roster and it lists thirty-four skaters ("thirty-four" as in the numeral 34). They ran out of numbered jerseys after twenty, so the fourteen
                          (“fourteen" as in the numeral 14) freshmen will have to bide their time.

It looks like the next few years are going to be really interesting ones for Ivy players and coaches alike.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                            Harvard has posted its 2021-22 roster and it lists thirty-four skaters ("thirty-four" as in the numeral 34). They ran out of numbered jerseys after twenty, so the fourteen
                            (“fourteen" as in the numeral 14) freshmen will have to bide their time.
                            5 goalies...10 defensemen,...and 19 forwards. Wow.

They could split into two squads with 17 skaters each...Something like Harvard East and Harvard West.
                            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 07-14-2021, 08:55 AM.
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              They could split into two squads with 17 skaters each...Something like Harvard East and Harvard West.
                              Bring back Crowell to coach the West?

Comment

Working...
                              X