Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
    LETS GO TECH (and Team USA)

Ella Shelton, Erin Ambrose, & Renata Fast anchor down the team defense for Canada and Jamie Lee Rattray will look to continue her point production up front for the Canadians.

Savanna Harmon on Team USA.
    Is Harmon the first Clarkson player to make the US roster ? Am thinking yes.

The Ice Garden pointed out that only 5 of the US players didn’t play for their country’s U18 team, Harmon was one. The others were Scamurra, Hensley, Stecklein, and Knight(too old the program didn’t exist in her day).

I thought that was a cool stat and a credit to the players who got noticed later in their career, and the coaches who took them on to to Team USA despite them not being U18 Worlds alums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Is Harmon the first Clarkson player to make the US roster ? Am thinking yes.

And you are correct.

And Renata Fast was the first Clarkson player to make the Canadian Team.
      And Michela Pejzlova is the first Clarkson player to make the Czech Olympic team.
      Last edited by vicb; 01-14-2022, 10:01 AM.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

And you are correct.

And Renata Fast was the first Clarkson player to make the Canadian Team.
        And Michela Pejzlova is the first Clarkson player to make the Czech Olympic team.
        Very cool! I’m hoping Nicole will make a list of all the rostered Olympians and their ncaa team at some point. Seems like there’s more than ever with ncaa experience, more and more schools represented.

Comment

I thought that was a cool stat and a credit to the players who got noticed later in their career, and the coaches who took them on to Team USA despite them not being U18 Worlds alums.

I also think That's a problem on the Men's side you don't have as many picked at U18 making the team, it's like if your lucky enough to get a golf membership early on why look for other members on the women's side! I believe all player matures at different rates. I think if we had a legitimate Pro league you could eliminate more of the prejudice that seems to plague our system.

Imho I believe it's also a recruiting tool depending on who's coaching even on these forums people are more excited if their School is represented than the name on the front.

I think if you look at Canada they have more schools representative than USA ect. Mcgill University
          Last edited by Xcfire; 01-14-2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xcfire View Post
            Mcgrill University
            Knew there was someplace where McDonald's manglement could get a degree...

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The Ice Garden pointed out that only 5 of the US players didn’t play for their country’s U18 team, Harmon was one. The others were Scamurra, Hensley, Stecklein, and Knight(too old the program didn’t exist in her day).

I thought that was a cool stat and a credit to the players who got noticed later in their career, and the coaches who took them on to to Team USA despite them not being U18 Worlds alums.
              Stecklein didn't have to wait too long to get noticed, as her first Olympic berth followed her freshman year, but in general, it seems to me that Team USA has always had an affinity for offensive D, more so than Hockey Canada does. D don't score that much when these two clash with championships on the line, so one would think that a better strategy would be to pick players who are the best at defending, but that's not what happens in the USA.

Even in her recruiting class, Stecklein was overshadowed by Milica McMillen, but over the course of their careers, I felt much less of a need to scratch my head while watching Lee.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• [QUOTE=ARM;n3707159 it seems to me that Team USA has always had an affinity for offensive D, ....one would think that a better strategy would be to pick players who are the best at defending, but that's not what happens in the USA.
                [/QUOTE]

How much is Harvey really going to play in the gold medal game, being an inexperienced yet offensive D? Buchbinder would have been a much better choice to play in a tight game where one mistake can kill you.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Interview with Natalie Spooner discussing the Olympics among other things:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/podcasts/p...ow_Beijing2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

How much is Harvey really going to play in the gold medal game, being an inexperienced yet offensive D? Buchbinder would have been a much better choice to play in a tight game where one mistake can kill you.
                    Cynical take here: does USA Hockey have to pay the college players the same way they pay the post grad players? I honestly don’t know but maybe it’s a cost cutting thing?

Not trying to discredit Harvey or Barnes who both became Olympians straight out of high school but I’ve always wondered this. It’s still pretty murky how the pay works.

somewhat related, it’s in the interest of the PHF players to get together and all disclose their salaries I’d think. Jeff Marek asked Tuminnia about minimums etc yesterday and she kind of demurred.

Keeping it to the hockey side of hockey - with 3 on 3 OT now being a thing I think an offensive minded D has more value now than in the past. Still probably not going to be Harvey out there in OT for the Americans of course. In Canada’s last two OT wins in the rivalry series defender Jocelyn Larocque assisted the OT goal and she was deep in the offensive zone to do so. Food for thought.

Comment

• I think we all know these Olympics are going to be an Orwellian freak show for these athletes.

Games organizers are hoping that technology might help to minimize human interaction. They have tested robots that brew coffee, make deliveries and clean surfaces — R2-D2 look-alikes that spray disinfectant.

There is even Xiaobai, or “Little White,” a waist-high robot that can detect when someone is not wearing a mask and nag the rule-flouter into compliance. Equipped with six wheels and a disinfectant dispenser, Little White is ready to take on the challenge of the Games . . .
                      –––– NYT 1/12/22

I suppose we could use this little guy here too, but no attached armpit thermometers please!

Into this funhouse at Beijing the pop-up NANSSWHA (North American Not-So-Secret Women’s Hockey Alliance) is sending its Team Red and its Team Blue to ceremoniously cap their umpteen-game series. That’s a long way to travel to toss a coin, imho. Is anyone really feelin it this year?

In any case, these dedicated young athletes are being placed in a very disturbing bubble to wrap it all up.

P.S.

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Interview with Natalie Spooner discussing the Olympics among other things:https://www.cbc.ca/sports/podcasts/p...ow_Beijing2022
                      How can this CBC recap start with “On the eve of the Olympic competition it is reassuring to see that women’s international hockey is no longer a tale of two countries” and end with Spooner’s saying that Canada can more or less score at will? Sounds more like a tale of one country.

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                        I think we all know these Olympics are going to be an Orwellian freak show for these athletes.

Games organizers are hoping that technology might help to minimize human interaction. They have tested robots that brew coffee, make deliveries and clean surfaces — R2-D2 look-alikes that spray disinfectant.

FWIW, the Wisconsin-Madison campus has been using food delivery robots for more than two years now (that is, pre-COVID but just in time for COVID). Students can place an order with UW food services, and then these little white "cooler on wheels" delivers it to the campus address the student tells it, dorm or library or...

I'm still fascinated by them, but students etal barely give them a second glance at this point.

https://www.housing.wisc.edu/2019/11/robot-delivery/

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                          I think we all know these Olympics are going to be an Orwellian freak show for these athletes.

There is even Xiaobai, or “Little White,” a waist-high robot that can detect when someone is not wearing a mask and nag the rule-flouter into compliance. Equipped with six wheels and a disinfectant dispenser, Little White is ready to take on the challenge of the Games . . .
                          –––– NYT 1/12/22

I suppose we could use this little guy here too, but no attached armpit thermometers please!

Into this funhouse at Beijing the pop-up NANSSWHA (North American Not-So-Secret Women’s Hockey Alliance) is sending its Team Red and its Team Blue to ceremoniously cap their umpteen-game series. That’s a long way to travel to toss a coin, imho. Is anyone really feelin it this year?

In any case, these dedicated young athletes are being placed in a very disturbing bubble to wrap it all up.

P.S.

How can this CBC recap start with “On the eve of the Olympic competition it is reassuring to see that women’s international hockey is no longer a tale of two countries” and end with Spooner’s saying that Canada can more or less score at will? Sounds more like a tale of one country.
                          Lol Canada cannot score at will, to Spooner’s comment, although I guess I like the swagger. I really like this iteration of Team Canada, they’ve activated a young star in Fillier whereas the US benched their hot young star in Roque and has Murphy and Compher playing a goon role rather than embracing their skill like they did with young players 4 years ago. And as a result Canada has 2 scoring lines and one heck of a third line, whereas the US in my view is reliant on their power play (which was great in the rivalry series).

But it is a coin toss.

No not feeling these Olympics at all. Very disappointed that this is still the only way to watch the best in the world play each other. A few great games once a year if we are lucky, where we watch the same 15 players per team get the lion share of ice time in a time zone 12-15 hours different than us. And this year in a country where censorship and human rights violations are the norm, amidst a pandemic. Sorry, feels really negative and I’ll try to give it a rest, but wow do these ladies need to get into a pro league with proper support.

To that end....that’s why I think the PHF news the other day was so exciting .

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            FWIW, the Wisconsin-Madison campus has been using food delivery robots for more than two years now (that is, pre-COVID but just in time for COVID). Students can place an order with UW food services, and then these little white "cooler on wheels" delivers it to the campus address the student tells it, dorm or library or...

I'm still fascinated by them, but students etal barely give them a second glance at this point.

https://www.housing.wisc.edu/2019/11/robot-delivery/
                            I saw one of those for the first time driving through lot 91 (the women's hockey parking lot) this year and I had no idea Watts that was. One would think it would stick to sidewalks unless the tailgaters ordered something via that service.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I saw one of those for the first time driving through lot 91 (the women's hockey parking lot) this year and I had no idea Watts that was. One would think it would stick to sidewalks unless the tailgaters ordered something via that service.
                              According to the map of their service area, lot 91 would be outside their area. Maybe it was "lost"? Or maybe they've expanded, and it was taking a shortcut to Mifflin St.etc. I haven't ever seen articles about them having trouble like that, but they wouldn't want to publicize that kind of thing.

Comment

• Making Team Canada and making it to the Olympics, from behind the bench:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...erie-1.6320610

Comment

Working...
                                X