No announcement yet.

2022 Olympic Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 cents, but I think Curl is on the roster for her size and physicality. I put Curl, Roque, Knight, Zumwinkle and Abbey Murphy together in that respect. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the idea is to find "the next Hilary" - meaning someone strong in front of the net who can camp out in front of the goalie, screen and not get pushed around. They all have strong shots and other skills, but I feel like they're on the roster for similar reasons. And thus far, it seems JJ is favoring Zumwinkle and Murphy in that role over Roque or Curl.

Aerin Frankel has as elite a glove hand as I've ever seen in person on the women's side, but she's smaller than the goalies on the roster, was pretty reliant on her defense and I think might just need some more time. I'm not sure her/Northeastern's style matches up with what USAH/JJ is looking for.
    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      only 3 games of the MyWhy Tour have been announced so far, crossing my fingers they either travel near where I live or at least go to some exciting new places where folks haven’t had the opportunity to watch them before. Columbus Ohio would be fun.
      Per the Victory Press:
      The United States was originally scheduled to head overseas to Belfast, Northern Ireland for a three-game series with Russia, but per Team USA, Russia backed out, leaving the Americans with a long gap before their next scheduled action.

The upcoming schedule for Team Canada is as follows:
      • Friday, October 29 vs. Olds Grizzlys
      • Wednesday, November 3 vs. Camrose Kodiaks
      • Thursday, November 11 vs. Finland
      • Saturday, November 13 vs. Finland
      • Sunday, November 14 vs. Finland

Team USA and Team Canada resume their My Why Tour schedule on November 21 in Kingston, Ontario and will play each other at least five more times before the Olympics in Beijing, including a televised tilt in primetime on NBCSN. That game will take place on December 20 at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Comment

I've been watching the 'My Why Tour' games and have been amazed at the quality of play. So fun to watch!

I would say that Canada seems to have a slight talent edge overall, but with a good bounce or two the U.S. could have managed a win in at least one of their two games played thus far. Hopefully Coach Johnson will make the necessary adjustments to get the final roster fully prepped for the Olympics.

Last (provincial) note: I've been really impressed with the play of both (current) Gopher forwards, Abbey Murphy and Grace Zumwinkle. Murphy is so smooth and aggressive on the puck all over the ice, while Zumwinkle's skating seems to be much improved. Best of luck to both (and the entire team) when the scores and games start to really count in February.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

USA finally tops Canada, 3-2 in overtime.

Hilary Knight's OT winner seals comeback as U.S. tops Canada in Rivalry Series
          https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/wom...nada-1.6257744

Comment

Knight and Kessel each with a power play goal to lead the U.S. to a 2-0 win over Canada in the Rivalry Series.

Comment

I'm glad to see more TV broadcasts of women's hockey but I'd honestly prefer to see more TV broadcasts of the college game than these two national team "rivals." I do hope the broadcasts of this rivalry series will translate into more viewers of all the women's hockey games in general during the Olympics and not just when USA or Canada play their games.

Comment

Agreed Shelfit the more hockey on tv the better! :-)

Having the rivalry games on TSN in Canada is a
                widespread broadcast. Nhl network in US not
                so much but way better than where we were 5 years ago. I know one of the later ones will be on NBCSN or something. I took a pass on the rivalry series because it just gets a pricy after a while to add the channel. Been watching college and PHF. Love US Canada and the games are great but it is a tiny bit repetitive, haha.

From headlines- looks like Fillier and Poulin are main goal scorers for Canada, Clark too, on America Knight is showing up again. Her net front presence is unreal, finding a way to adapt as she gets older. Prob benefiting from training with her teammates. Canada games attendance was fantastic, in Kingston and Ottawa. Apparently US recently cut Buchbinder and Flanagan and didn’t announce it, so they are down to 26. Need to get to 23. Like I said in a different thread, women’s hockey is very strange sometimes, how insular it is. Not to mention Flanagan is Olympic gold medalist, deserves the respect of a press release no?

Soccer NWSL had their championship recently and it was on a network channel. Competing with college football and it still drew over 500,000 viewers a 216% increase over last championship. Number of things drove ratings increase, apparently one was being on network tv. The bottom line is the games need to be on tv, you are right about that!

Happy Thanksgiving USCHO posters. Thankful for women’s hockey fans to chat with!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I've been watching the 'My Why Tour' games and have been amazed at the quality of play. So fun to watch!

Ok this just gives me FOMO and makes me want to tune in....

Comment

Is anyone following this Peng Shuai story? Are these Olympics starting to feel unwatchable?

Comment

Is anyone following this Peng Shuai story? Are these Olympics starting to feel unwatchable?
                      Some of us are, yes. Along with the concern for her personal safety, this story highlights the world of difference between what we accept in North America and the politics of the Chinese state. Orwell's 1984 was only off by decades. As spectators what leverage can we apply that people like Roger Federer don't have?

Comment

If this young lady does not turn up alive and well in person on the tennis court, then all countries need to boycott.

Plus, you can't trust the commies. EVER. All the Olympics are doing is putting more money in their coffers that they will then use against us or our Allies.

Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

In addition to the story noted above, is anyone concerned the Winter Olympics might get postponed or cancelled due to the recent Covid Omicron variant that’s big time news now?

Just when you think all might be ok for all of us to carry on with life ……..
                          Last edited by slapshot willy; 12-01-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                            In addition to the story noted above, is anyone concerned the Winter Olympics might get postponed or cancelled due to the recent Covid Omicron variant that’s big time news now?

No one is saying at this point Watts kind of effect this has on the body and if known medical treatments are effective. If medical treatments are effective, carry on (if the tennis player is alive and well).
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post

I think it will go on because it’s all about money and power. I do wonder if the NHL players will pull out either one by one here and there, or in total.

Comment

I read an interesting article today that talks about how the IOC is willingly accepting the Chinese story that Peng is just fine. To the point they are pushing China's agenda in this. Of course, for the obvious reason -- money.

Meanwhile, the WTA doesn't believe any of their crap. And have said they will not have any tournaments (they hold about 10) in China until changes are made. I'm sure the WTA makes decent money off those tournaments in China, so good for them to take the high road without even blinking.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X