2022 Olympic Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I have a hard time understanding that Pannek and Cameranesi are above her.
    Pannek is just a special player that makes others around her better. Might never make the flashiest play, just always makes the right one. She's the one who sprung Lamoureaux for the tying goal against Canada. Everyone raves about the goal, but without Pannek's vision that play never happens.

Comment

The question is as a player do you want to lose a full semester of playing college hockey if you get released or just miss the whole year instead?
      Yeah, what’s with the 27 to 25 to 23? Why subject these athletes’ psyches, as well as bodies, to the equivalent of a carnival dunk tank. They don’t need arbitrary, even if standard procedure, uncertainty added to their world in this of all years. Respect the players and make the hard choices now. I know what the rebuttals are; I just don’t agree. (The only good thing about this Olympic dithering is the forum commentary on the selection results, with more to come down the road, I guess.)

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post

Pannek is just a special player that makes others around her better. Might never make the flashiest play, just always makes the right one. She's the one who sprung Lamoureaux for the tying goal against Canada. Everyone raves about the goal, but without Pannek's vision that play never happens.
        Great observation. It's interesting that this has never become part of the lore. I know there was a Canada shot on net that went wide, (edit: it was on net, Rooney blockered to corner) a bad change I think but I had no idea about who fed Monique the pass.

Not that Wickenheiser is unheralded at all, but in 2014 gmg OT winner by Poulin, it's rarely noted that Wick drew the penalty to get the power play and was the screen in front for the goal (no point on the play).

Happy to see USA Hockey released the roster and crossing my fingers they play an exhibition game in Pittsburgh or Columbus this fall. I can't really criticize their roster choices as all they do is win. Still heartbreak for Brodt, Bellamy and Frankel whose hockey opportunities were impacted by the Worlds Championship cancellation/ coach change.

On the goalie side the 3 that they are centralizing all have marquee wins in 2017/2018/2019 IIHF tourneys including shootouts in 2 out of 3. Do you really walk away from that experience? Prob couldn't go wrong taking any 3 of the 4 in question but can understand why you get Rooney back on the roster. 2017 is a long time ago but Hensley in particular looked great in recent PW events. Even if any of the 3 chosen were perceived to have underperformed lately, they've been wandering in the wilderness that is post grad women's hockey world and I can see coaches feeling confident that with a centralization each of them will be where they need to be come Olympics.

I think Cameranesi and Knight have great chemistry on the ice and like seeing those two together. Lots of talent added recently so we'll see how lines shake out next month. Enjoying the commentary from all of you who watched these players so much in college.

Last edited by Lindsay; 07-10-2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...m-usa-olympics

Nothing new here, but a nice read from TTT .

Comment

Back in May Hockey Canada named Jim Midgley the assistant coach for The Olympics. He’s at worlds now. He just accepted a job today assistant coaching a team called the New York Rangers. Not shocking, had no apparent background in women’s hockey.

I assume that means he’s not available to centralize and coach at the Olympics.

Doug Derraugh of Cornell is also listed as one of the assistant coaches for Canada at the Olympics but the Cornell website says he won’t be centralizing.

Comment

Anna Wilgren has been added to the US residency program, a D from Mankato. I wonder which D is hurt that requires a call up like this? Highly unusual.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Anna Wilgren has been added to the US residency program, a D from Mankato. I wonder which D is hurt that requires a call up like this? Highly unusual.
                Wasn't Buchbinder hurt (again) at the world championships?

Comment

My impression of Wilgren is that she has offensive abilities but takes her defensive game seriously. I think Buchbinder is also a D-first blueliner, so if that is whom she is replacing on the roster, it's a good fit. While I can see this helping Team USA, it is not good news for the Mavericks, who looked poised to have one of their best seasons. They'll miss her.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

USA Hockey named the assistants for the Olympics. Joining Joel Johnson are Courtney Kennedy, Brian Poithier and I forget the goalie coach name but it’s a fellow who was with them in past years.

Does this mean Kennedy is away from BC for centralization? Things seem a little different this year so not sure.

Canada US meet up on Friday for an exhibition. Game is on NHL Network but with all the good college matchups happening I will pass on watching this.

Curious to see if Mikkelson and Micah Zandee Hart and are back in the line up for Canada. Both had injuries previously. Also curious to see what Eldridge looks like if they dress her. Curious what the US looks like in general. They just didn’t seem like themselves this summer. There is also the issue of staying hungry after all that gold medal dominance. Or are they just old? Won’t be able to conclude much after this weekend but here’s hoping Canada and US post some lengthy highlight reels.

only 3 games of the MyWhy Tour have been announced so far, crossing my fingers they either travel near where I live or at least go to some exciting new places where folks haven’t had the opportunity to watch them before. Columbus Ohio would be fun.

Comment

Does Canada still scrimmage (or play games against) boys teams? The U.S.A used to also do this but I believe put a halt to this practice a couple of Olympics ago - not sure why. I remember going to a game locally that was decided by a single goal (6-5 ?) that was very entertaining.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yes they do and have already played 2 games so far where they got pretty well whomped which means little. Go to Hockey Canada site, they have videos...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
                          Yes they do and have already played 2 games so far where they got pretty well whomped which means little. Go to Hockey Canada site, they have videos...
                          They have actually played 3 games against Canadian Junior A teams...Here is a link to the schedule which shows the results.

https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-c...stats/schedule
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

They have actually played 3 games against Canadian Junior A teams...Here is a link to the schedule which shows the results.

https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-c...stats/schedule
                            Looks like a tough schedule, maybe too tough.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Looks like a tough schedule, maybe too tough.
                              Wow, I'm not sure I see the value in getting pummeled by Jr A teams, but these are the same people who think Watts isn't good enough. Looks like Soup is doing the best in net for them. She actually had a period where she allowed no goals. Unless the Jr A team called off the dogs.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

My dream for women's hockey coverage is that one day there will be someone passionate and competent who gets to cover it full time, year round. One day....
                                You and me, both!

(But also, thanks for the shoutout. I work hard to make sure at least local city papers are covering their teams at the FF/NCAA tournament, but it would be nice if getting bigger outlets to cover women's hockey wasn't like pulling teeth.)
                                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Working...
                                X