Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D1 Coaching Changes

    Marty Sertich named interim head women's hockey coach at St. Thomas

    https://www.therinklive.com/womens-w...-at-St.-Thomas


    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  • #2
    The opposite of a coaching change but don't want to start a separate thread: Dave Flint gets a well-deserved four-year extension at Northeastern.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

    Comment


    • #3
      Anyone have insight on where Dartmouth and Brown are at with the search/hiring process?
      Any names being tossed around?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Marty Sertich named interim head women's hockey coach at St. Thomas

        https://www.therinklive.com/womens-w...-at-St.-Thomas
        Why are they changing coaches on the cusp of hitting D1? Seems like terrible timing. Seems like a great job for Muzzy, or Joel J from the rodentettes.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

          Why are they changing coaches on the cusp of hitting D1? Seems like terrible timing. Seems like a great job for Muzzy, or Joel J from the rodentettes.
          You Wish!
          You just want Muzzy in a different conference so the nightmares will stop! (Big Grin)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Why are they changing coaches on the cusp of hitting D1? Seems like terrible timing. Seems like a great job for Muzzy, or Joel J from the rodentettes.
            I guess because the previous coach is leaving and it is always good to have a coach? Sertich is listed as interim coach for now, but it seems like he would be a good candidate to keep the job. He's been on the staff for four years. As a Hobey Baker Award winner, he knows what it takes to be a successful college hockey player. His dad was coach at Bemidji State for many years, so he has had exposure to the women's game even before he came to St. Thomas.

            The other person who I think is an up-and-coming coach who could be a good fit at a place like St. Thomas is Sam Reber. Played at Harvard, a year of college coaching experience under Maura Crowell at UMD, and now has had Edina in the MN HS championship game for AA in five straight years and won four of them. It's true that her HS teams have been loaded with talent, but Edina had talented teams in the past that didn't win, and she got them over the hump.

            It might be an attractive job for Muzzy if she wanted to get back to the Twin Cities (I don't know if her husband is originally from here, but she's not), but other than than, OSU is a more advantageous spot than St. Thomas.

            I could see it being a good fit for Joel Johnson, as he has both playing and coaching ties to the MIAC schools, and he wouldn't have to relocate.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I could see it being a good fit for Joel Johnson, as he has both playing and coaching ties to the MIAC schools, and he wouldn't have to relocate.
              He's certainly qualified, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets the job.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

              Comment


              • #8
                https://staffemployment-stthomas.ici...ckey-coach/job

                That link is from their website.

                What about Natalie Darwitz to move this program to D-I??? Would be a natural progression for her and she wouldn't have to move out of town.
                Last edited by shelfit; 05-09-2021, 12:31 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would think the national team for JJ he is already the interim coach. especially with how tight the national team window is.
                  Some candidates for the Junior college of the purple and grey (SJU 95). Being they had to go D1 to get away from getting pounded by the Johnnies in football every year.
                  Back to hockey.
                  I would think
                  Rhonda Englehardt
                  Winny and Chelsey Co-Coaches
                  Bethany Braunsen
                  Mira Jiralouso
                  Hannah Brandt
                  Noora Raty
                  I would be surprised if they didn't hire a female with all the quality female candidates in the twin cities.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
                    Back to hockey.
                    I would think
                    Rhonda Englehardt
                    Winny and Chelsey Co-Coaches
                    Bethany Braunsen
                    Mira Jiralouso
                    Hannah Brandt
                    Noora Raty
                    I would be surprised if they didn't hire a female with all the quality female candidates in the twin cities.
                    Regarding Winny & Rhonda:
                    You have to take into account the Whitecaps variable. The leadership/coaching/admin experience gained from the Whitecaps would certainly be a major asset in a D-1 coaching gig.

                    But would one of them really be ready to leave the Whitecaps? That program is a pretty big deal in its own right. Of course with everything that didn't go on last year due to the pandemic, maybe this would be actually be a good time to start a new endeavor. Don't know; not predicting; just asking the question.

                    I will say this. Given the longstanding teammate friendship between Winny & Muzz, the Buckeyes/Tommies match-up would gain immediate spice if Winny landed the St. Thomas job.

                    Fascinating to speculate. Of course with every name on the list, a job offer has to be preceded by an application.



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hannah Brandt has a prior engagement, what the Olympic season ahead. Nice brainstorm of potential coaches, you all are so spoiled in Minnesota!

                      Glad to see the WCHA get back to 8 teams. Should help the travel budgets. I enjoyed (sort of) all the extra games the CHA got against the WCHA past few years, and hope some of that sticks around.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Another possibility would be Sami Reber, currently head coach at Edina. Perfect record at 22-0 this past season.

                        https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/1065316
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There's always Sarah Murray, a former UMD player and head coach for South Korea for four years, including in the last Olympics. Remember that fiasco when they brought in some North Korean players at the last minute and demanded she let them play? She's currently coaching at St. Mary's in the MIAC, so she's undoubtedly aware of the job opening at St. Thomas. I know exactly nothing about either program; just throwing that out there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I guess because the previous coach is leaving and it is always good to have a coach?
                            Is he leaving on his own or is he being booted? I could not find an article that answered this question.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Another possibility would be Sami Reber, currently head coach at Edina. Perfect record at 22-0 this past season.

                              https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/1065316
                              Unless she's on the Willard Ikola career path. <winking emoticon here>

                              Thanks for the link.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X