X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by shelfit View Post

$190K?!?! Wow,I should have gotten into coaching after graduation. Joking aside, so are you saying that Darwitz was in fact making $70K+ at Hamline? If that's true then that would probably be another reason the rest of the MIAC coaches hated her. Lmao. Any idea how much Mike Carroll makes? Seems like he's the other coach everyone loves to hate.
    no idea about the salaries anywhere unless it’s reported.

Darwitz’s bio is remarkable in pretty much every way. I didn’t realize she took the Hamline job right before her first child was born. Really impressive by both school and her to make that work, and she got results and is off to a new challenge years later. Cool to have her back in the WCHA.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied

$190K?!?! Wow,I should have gotten into coaching after graduation. Joking aside, so are you saying that Darwitz was in fact making $70K+ at Hamline? If that's true then that would probably be another reason the rest of the MIAC coaches hated her. Lmao. Any idea how much Mike Carroll makes? Seems like he's the other coach everyone loves to hate.
    For private schools it's much harder to nail down salary info than state schools, especially at the DIII level. From SeeThroughNY where NY public employee salary numbers are posted, the Plattsburgh's coach is significantly north of $70k at this point in his career, but he has seven nattys and has been on NY state payroll since 1989 when he started as the assistant on the men's team so the seniority also bolsters that. The stereotype is that private schools tend to spend more on athletics than state so I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Mike Carroll who has coached baseball and women's hockey in 24 years at GAC surpasses him.

Most DIII coaches who are at the top end of the salary spectrum have longevity as well as merit. There aren't many with over 20 years left. Mandigo has 33 years at Middlebury (includes years preceding women's hockey), Houle has 31 years combined service at Plattsburgh. Joe Cranston has 21 years at River Falls (and his bio doesn't indicate if he did anything there prior to the program's inception, but he is an alumn so it wouldn't shock me). Kristin Steele (Conn College) and Dave Clausen (Utica) are both going into season 20 respectively. Those would be my guess for the highest DIII women's hockey coaching salaries based on years served. Norwich and Elmira might be paying comparable salaries to top DIII salaries because that's where the programs perform but that's just a hypothesis.

But none of it is bigger than what they can get at DI. Using the SUNY system as an example. The DI HCs for the big sports all outearn the highest paid DIII coaches by multiples and there are assistant coaches who out earn the DIII HCs as well

Leave a comment:

• shelfit
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Agreed re Frosty, unless he left for another role. As to the compensation comment, It was reported Crowell’s salary on her new contract was around 190k plus annual increases. That’s for a coach who hasn’t won a national championship. Perhaps that resets the market a bit and creates pressure on Minnesota to pay someone like Darwitz her worth (definitely in excess of 70k!). curious to see at what point one of the assistants is named associate head coach.

At the same time I think certain Minnesota coaches in other sports took pay cuts recently? So maybe no room for women’s hockey raises? But if UMD is somehow doing it....
    Last edited by shelfit; 08-05-2021, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Just high on thinner...oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    This seems more accurate...

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    In your case, it's more about what is causing the lapses...
    Just high on life right now with a 3 year reign as Champs! oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Agreed re Frosty, unless he left for another role. As to the compensation comment, It was reported Crowell’s salary on her new contract was around 190k plus annual increases. That’s for a coach who hasn’t won a national championship. Perhaps that resets the market a bit and creates pressure on Minnesota to pay someone like Darwitz her worth (definitely in excess of 70k!). curious to see at what point one of the assistants is named associate head coach.

At the same time I think certain Minnesota coaches in other sports took pay cuts recently? So maybe no room for women’s hockey raises? But if UMD is somehow doing it....
    After the Old Battle Axe fiasco, UMD has to go over and above with the HC $$.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    But I mean everyone has lapses of good judgement in their lives, right?
    In your case, it's more about what is causing the lapses...

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    I'd say she has her sights set on Frosty's job. I give it 5 years before he's out and she's in. This is a very crafty move on her part.
    I don't see how Frosty's job will ever be in danger. Dude has an impressive resume obviously and even a cold streak as far as Natty's go like MJ had should not endanger his job as MN will always be a top 6 team and always make the NCAA's (unless they get screwed again in another pandemic year, which will never happen again). I was glad no WI assistants got poached. I would never understand why someone would ever go from here to there, but I mean everyone has lapses of good judgement in their lives, right?

Leave a comment:

• shelfit
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    She has two previous one-year stints as his assistant coach (plus three as a player), so she should at least be the devil he knows.
    Does anyone know what her salary was at Hamline and what it will be at "the U"? I seem to remember a rumor when she was first hired at Hamline that she was going to make over $70K but I can't imagine that was true.

I also thought she sid she didn't want to coach in D1 because of the travel schedule, the reruiting, and general long periods of time away from home. I guess she has changed her mind. I'd say she has her sights set on Frosty's job. I give it 5 years before he's out and she's in. This is a very crafty move on her part.
    Last edited by shelfit; 07-31-2021, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
    We'll see how long Frosty likes Coach Darwitz...
    She has two previous one-year stints as his assistant coach (plus three as a player), so she should at least be the devil he knows.

Leave a comment:

• MND3Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Well, all the MIAC fans on the board who seemed irked at the prospect of her coaching Hamline to being the first western school to win the DIII natty can sleep easy now
    That's me.

Great for Jake to go to the U, he's a great guy and hockey mind. And an excellent recruiter. We'll see how long Frosty likes Coach Darwitz...

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post
    I would think OSU will be the team to beat.
    Who is returning on OSU's top line? That trio has been greater even than the sum of its parts, and the parts on their own have been very good. I know they added DeGeorge; who else are they adding who would skate a regular shift for UW?

Wisconsin has its top line back and has that third line ready to play a bigger role. I have to look to the Badgers, because especially with the threat of Covid impact still looming, teams that are ready from Day 1 have an advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

I would think OSU will be the team to beat. They've really gone "all in" on upgrades via the portal.
    they definitely have. Challenge for them will be to gel and figure out who their leader is. I think of the struggles that BC had in 18-19 despite being great on paper and am curious to see if OSU can avoid a similar fate. That’s my pause in picking them. They have a better goalie situation than BC had that year though so maybe that will give them the necessary stability until they find their identity.

Leave a comment:

• EMPTYNETTER
    replied
    Exciting hires for Minnesota. WCHA shaping up to be fascinating this year. Who do you guys see as the favorite there? Assuming Wisc and minn will be down a bit due to Olympics...OSU ive lost track of who is on their roster...is it UMD’s year?
    I would think OSU will be the team to beat. They've really gone "all in" on upgrades via the portal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X