D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post

A very sad but informative article. Thanks for posting it. I feel terrible for all the struggling colleges especially the smaller ones that seem to be on the verge of bankruptcy and closing. This awful COVID pandemic is killing higher education in addition to the human toll it has already taken. Like many of you, my college memories are among the best of my life so far. I find it tragic that the outlook is so dark for so many collleges out there. Let's cross our fingers and hope that they can find some long-term solutions to keep their doors open.
    It goes beyond Covid as the article also mentions.

The college age population starting a few years ago and for the next number of years is dropping significantly. On top of that, less and less college eligible students are attending colleges for a myriad of reasons.

A lot of schools already know they have to get very creative in order to attract students. For the smaller schools without large endowments, both private and public (I know of some SUNYAC schools which are hurting as well with enrollments dropping quite a lot), the economic impact will be much tougher to ride out.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

It goes beyond Covid as the article also mentions.

The college age population starting a few years ago and for the next number of years is dropping significantly. On top of that, less and less college eligible students are attending colleges for a myriad of reasons.

A lot of schools already know they have to get very creative in order to attract students. For the smaller schools without large endowments, both private and public (I know of some SUNYAC schools which are hurting as well with enrollments dropping quite a lot), the economic impact will be much tougher to ride out.
      Yes, the while situation isn't a good one. With fewer and fewer students attending college, it is less likely that some colleges will survive the economic impact of all the factors working against them. Again, I think it's a sad situation all the way around.

Comment

• Former Gopher, Finnish national team D Mira Jalosuo hired to be assistant coach for SCSU women's team

https://www.therinklive.com/womens-d...su-womens-team

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Former Gopher, Finnish national team D Mira Jalosuo hired to be assistant coach for SCSU women's team

https://www.therinklive.com/womens-d...su-womens-team
          Really well done article.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Minnesota will be looking for an assistant coach with the news that Jake Bobrowski has taken the Elmira head coaching job.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Word on the Clarkson Roundtable is that former Knight Cassidy Vinkle is the new assistant coach replacing the departed Britni Smith.
              Last edited by vicb; 09-01-2022, 01:41 PM.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Minnesota will be looking for an assistant coach with the news that Jake Bobrowski has taken the Elmira head coaching job.
                Wow, I guess I'm really surprised by this because this seems like a huge step down, going from D1 at the U to a D3 school that is apparently in big financial trouble. Going from the WCHA in your home town practically, to a small town in NY and a weak conference where only Norwich is a challenge just seems like a bad decision. Would he make similar money of less? I would think less. Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice.

Comment

Wow, I guess I'm really surprised by this because this seems like a huge step down, going from D1 at the U to a D3 school that is apparently in big financial trouble. Going from the WCHA in your home town practically, to a small town in NY and a weak conference where only Norwich is a challenge just seems like a bad decision. Would he make similar money of less? I would think less. Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice.
                  He went from the second assistant at a D1 to a head coach at D3, the same kind of move Mollie Fitzpatrick did when she went to Plymouth State this offseason. Bobrowski has a pension from his career with the St. Paul Police Dept (it appears he left the force in '21) so if the worst does happen to Elmira and he's still there he would still have one income stream. All three of his predecessors at Elmira went on to D1 coaching gigs so it's not exactly a dead end. Elmira can make the NCAA tourney seemingly on autopilot so his work with Hamline and Elmira alone will open pretty much any door in DIII later even if he never makes it back to D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

He went from the second assistant at a D1 to a head coach at D3, the same kind of move Mollie Fitzpatrick did when she went to Plymouth State this offseason. Bobrowski has a pension from his career with the St. Paul Police Dept (it appears he left the force in '21) so if the worst does happen to Elmira and he's still there he would still have one income stream. All three of his predecessors at Elmira went on to D1 coaching gigs so it's not exactly a dead end. Elmira can make the NCAA tourney seemingly on autopilot so his work with Hamline and Elmira alone will open pretty much any door in DIII later even if he never makes it back to D1.
                    From my previous post, "Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice."

Comment

• I suspect the desire to lead plays a role as well whether it’s about getting to d1 or not. Appreciate the context Scott... a pension might make it make more sense from a financial perspective, not that I know how a d3 head coach salary compares to D1 assistant.
                      Last edited by Lindsay; 09-03-2022, 07:35 AM.

Comment

From my previous post, "Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice."
                        If Bobrowski's goal is to be a D1 head coach the quicker path would have been staying at MN or taking another D1 assistant gig. The only coaches I can recall jumping straight from a DIII HC gig to DI HC gig are Chad Davis and Mark Bolding. Most of the others I know of who have elevated divisions had to take a step back in leadership and go be an assistant coach to move up to DI.

I suspect his police pension may have played a role in his decision to move on (in addition to the desire to lead as Lindsay called it). In NY public employee retirees are only allowed to make X amount of money working for any other public agency after claiming their pension. The University of MN would be a state employer and there's a strong chance that his continuing to work there would affect his ability to collect his pension. Though if that were the impetus I would think he would have found something else sooner...Either way, he's going to have a pretty good setup: coaching a perpetually successful team with dual income in a fairly cheap place to live...

Comment

• I know of two others that went straight from Head Coach at D3 to Head Coach at D1. Neither lasted too long at their respective D1 gigs. Carisa (Zaban) Wahlig went from HC at Lake Forest to HC at Brown. And Jenny (Schmidgall) Potter went from HC at Trinity to HC at Ohio State.
                          THINK PINK
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                            I know of two others that went straight from Head Coach at D3 to Head Coach at D1. Neither lasted too long at their respective D1 gigs. Carisa (Zaban) Wahlig went from HC at Lake Forest to HC at Brown. And Jenny (Schmidgall) Potter went from HC at Trinity to HC at Ohio State.
                            Greg Fargo, from Elmira to Colgate. I guess that also means any D3 coach that ever beat Fargo while he was at Elmira should also consider themselves good candidates for D1 jobs, especially considering that Elmira is among the schools considered as hockey schools compared to all the have-not schools out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                              I know of two others that went straight from Head Coach at D3 to Head Coach at D1. Neither lasted too long at their respective D1 gigs. Carisa (Zaban) Wahlig went from HC at Lake Forest to HC at Brown. And Jenny (Schmidgall) Potter went from HC at Trinity to HC at Ohio State.
                              Brian Idalski from Wisconsin Stevens Point to North Dakota.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Brian Durocher (Boston University) retiring from coaching at the end of the season.
                                https://goterriers.com/news/2023/2/1...-coaching.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X