D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    That sounds reasonable. The rural ness of Bemidji seems kind Of nice... but everyone’s looking for different things I suppose.
    Bemidji is a nice destination if you're looking to hunt and fish, or to experience cold winters. I think a campus in a true rural setting can be kind of quaint, but BSU is very much in a city -- just a city that makes Duluth seem like a metropolis.

As for OSU versus SCSU, I think it is easier to recruit to a school if recruits have heard of you.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Liz Keady Norton has hired Nina Rodgers (Boston University '18), a former player of hers when she was coaching there. Rodgers has two nattys from her time at Minnesota prior to transferring east. After graduation, Rodgers played for the Whale and Whitecaps of the NWHL along with coaching at Upper Midwest High School Hockey Elite League and OS Hockey Training. The Dartmouth coaching staff consists of Keady Norton, former Merrimack assistant Steph Moberg, Rodgers, Director of Operations Olivia Fox (Adrian '18), and volunteer coaches Pat Doherty (SLU '15) and Liz Auby (Colgate '20).

Comment

It has happened. Brad Frost poached the Hamline coaching staff. Natalie Darwitz and Jake Bobrowski new Gopher assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
          It has happened. Brad Frost poached the Hamline coaching staff. Natalie Darwitz and Jake Bobrowski new Gopher assistants.
          Well, all the MIAC fans on the board who seemed irked at the prospect of her coaching Hamline to being the first western school to win the DIII natty can sleep easy now

Comment

Exciting hires for Minnesota. WCHA shaping up to be fascinating this year. Who do you guys see as the favorite there? Assuming Wisc and minn will be down a bit due to Olympics...OSU ive lost track of who is on their roster...is it UMD’s year?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              Exciting hires for Minnesota. WCHA shaping up to be fascinating this year. Who do you guys see as the favorite there? Assuming Wisc and minn will be down a bit due to Olympics...OSU ive lost track of who is on their roster...is it UMD’s year?
              I would think OSU will be the team to beat. They've really gone "all in" on upgrades via the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

I would think OSU will be the team to beat. They've really gone "all in" on upgrades via the portal.
                they definitely have. Challenge for them will be to gel and figure out who their leader is. I think of the struggles that BC had in 18-19 despite being great on paper and am curious to see if OSU can avoid a similar fate. That’s my pause in picking them. They have a better goalie situation than BC had that year though so maybe that will give them the necessary stability until they find their identity.

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post
                  I would think OSU will be the team to beat.
                  Who is returning on OSU's top line? That trio has been greater even than the sum of its parts, and the parts on their own have been very good. I know they added DeGeorge; who else are they adding who would skate a regular shift for UW?

Wisconsin has its top line back and has that third line ready to play a bigger role. I have to look to the Badgers, because especially with the threat of Covid impact still looming, teams that are ready from Day 1 have an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Well, all the MIAC fans on the board who seemed irked at the prospect of her coaching Hamline to being the first western school to win the DIII natty can sleep easy now
                    That's me.

Great for Jake to go to the U, he's a great guy and hockey mind. And an excellent recruiter. We'll see how long Frosty likes Coach Darwitz...

Comment

• Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
                      We'll see how long Frosty likes Coach Darwitz...
                      She has two previous one-year stints as his assistant coach (plus three as a player), so she should at least be the devil he knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        She has two previous one-year stints as his assistant coach (plus three as a player), so she should at least be the devil he knows.
                        Does anyone know what her salary was at Hamline and what it will be at "the U"? I seem to remember a rumor when she was first hired at Hamline that she was going to make over $70K but I can't imagine that was true.

I also thought she sid she didn't want to coach in D1 because of the travel schedule, the reruiting, and general long periods of time away from home. I guess she has changed her mind. I'd say she has her sights set on Frosty's job. I give it 5 years before he's out and she's in. This is a very crafty move on her part.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 07-31-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          I'd say she has her sights set on Frosty's job. I give it 5 years before he's out and she's in. This is a very crafty move on her part.
                          I don't see how Frosty's job will ever be in danger. Dude has an impressive resume obviously and even a cold streak as far as Natty's go like MJ had should not endanger his job as MN will always be a top 6 team and always make the NCAA's (unless they get screwed again in another pandemic year, which will never happen again). I was glad no WI assistants got poached. I would never understand why someone would ever go from here to there, but I mean everyone has lapses of good judgement in their lives, right?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Agreed re Frosty, unless he left for another role. As to the compensation comment, It was reported Crowell’s salary on her new contract was around 190k plus annual increases. That’s for a coach who hasn’t won a national championship. Perhaps that resets the market a bit and creates pressure on Minnesota to pay someone like Darwitz her worth (definitely in excess of 70k!). curious to see at what point one of the assistants is named associate head coach.

At the same time I think certain Minnesota coaches in other sports took pay cuts recently? So maybe no room for women’s hockey raises? But if UMD is somehow doing it....

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              But I mean everyone has lapses of good judgement in their lives, right?
                              In your case, it's more about what is causing the lapses...

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                Agreed re Frosty, unless he left for another role. As to the compensation comment, It was reported Crowell’s salary on her new contract was around 190k plus annual increases. That’s for a coach who hasn’t won a national championship. Perhaps that resets the market a bit and creates pressure on Minnesota to pay someone like Darwitz her worth (definitely in excess of 70k!). curious to see at what point one of the assistants is named associate head coach.

At the same time I think certain Minnesota coaches in other sports took pay cuts recently? So maybe no room for women’s hockey raises? But if UMD is somehow doing it....
                                After the Old Battle Axe fiasco, UMD has to go over and above with the HC $$.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X