No announcement yet.

D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to a friend whose daughter plays for St. Thomas. They all had their exit interviews and a umber of them were told that they would not be returning due to the move to D-1 . He then exited. My guess is he was forced out. I don't think Sertich will be the guy just a gut feeling. With the announcement of a national coaching search.
    My gut is a female head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      You Wish! You just want Muzzy in a different conference so the nightmares will stop! (Big Grin)
      St. Thomas is playing D1 in the wwcha starting this next season. Their facilities are probably better than OSU's LOL. From digging around her bio on various sites she doesn't seem that engrained in MN as she was born in Canada and post rodent playing career coaching was out east, though she did coach for the rodents as an assistant for a good number of years. This is a really neat job for a person to build something from the ground up culturally, though it's a tough road to hack your way over UMD, UM, OSU and UW, like it's almost impossible task. The biggest plus is the location if you are a happening metro type of gal and don't want to be in a small town in the middle of nowhere for 4 years. And yes, I'd rather see St. Thomas succeed than OSU, which I really have a decent amount of sports distain for, in some ways more than UM. But it's not personal, it's strictly business.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        It might be an attractive job for Muzzy if she wanted to get back to the Twin Cities (I don't know if her husband is originally from here, but she's not), but other than than, OSU is a more advantageous spot than St. Thomas.
        It's my impression Muzzy with the tremendous effort she's put into building up Ohio State into a conference power is totally fixated on bringing home a National Championship and unless something unforeseen happens to throw a wrench into that I don't see her entertaining other options until that major goal in her life is achieved.

Comment

It's my impression Muzzy with the tremendous effort she's put into building up Ohio State into a conference power is totally fixated on bringing home a National Championship and unless something unforeseen happens to throw a wrench into that I don't see her entertaining other options until that major goal in her life is achieved.
          Not to mention she has had no problem recruiting the top talent in MN given her 2022 recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

Not to mention she has had no problem recruiting the top talent in MN given her 2022 recruits.
            It certainly helps when you are practically a hockey legend in Minnesota!
            I've seen it in other sports. When Michigan's softball coach wants a top tier player out of California she sends her assistant Jen Brundage to recruit who's a softball legend there.

Comment

From digging around her bio on various sites she doesn't seem that engrained in MN as she was born in Canada and post rodent playing career coaching was out east, though she did coach for the rodents as an assistant for a good number of years.

Winny's Best Friend and former roommate

Comment

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
                From digging around her bio on various sites she doesn't seem that engrained in MN as she was born in Canada and post rodent playing career coaching was out east, though she did coach for the rodents as an assistant for a good number of years.

Winny's Best Friend and former roommate
                In my humble opinion websites don't give you the inside story on how she's actually perceived among girls in Minnesota looking for a college career. I think if a girl there is contacted by Muzzy she would be like OMG OMG OMG to all her hockey friends.
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-10-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

In my humble opinion websites don't give you the inside story on how she's actually perceived among girls in Minnesota looking for a college career. I think if a girl there is contacted by Muzzy she would be like OMG OMG OMG to all her hockey friends.
                  No doubt she's a great recruiter, and still has inroads into the state, but she doesn't get them all, including the two most highly recruited forwards in the state this past year:

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/ros...bseason=697635

Plus one of the most, and probably 'thee' most, high recruited defenders who will be joining the Gophers in 2022-23:

I believe that long term Muzzy's influence on aspiring D1 players in Minnesota will gradually recede, and this trend may in fact have already begun.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    No doubt she's a great recruiter, and still has inroads into the state, but she doesn't get them all, including the two most highly recruited forwards in the state this past year:
                    Even the best coach in the state or any sport doesn't get them all, but it doesn't mean Muzzy is a coach who has to be satisfied with the leftover crumbs either.
                    I've told this story before, when years ago a highly ranked Ohio kid committed to Michigan in football over Ohio State and a reporter seemed distressed about it and asked Coach Tressel how could he let that kid commit to Michigan and Tress looked at him and calmly said "You can't recruit them all."

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Plus one of the most, and probably 'thee' most, high recruited defenders who will be joining the Gophers in 2022-23:

I believe that long term Muzzy's influence on aspiring D1 players in Minnesota will gradually recede, and this trend may in fact have already begun.
                      Conner is redshirting as are the majority of the incoming recruits.
                      The best D in the state is going to Cornell.
                      Frost is falling into thetypical gopher problem of recruiting the same type of player He hasn't had a good goalie since Lev. He may be fixing that with Vetter this year remains to be seen.
                      Hasn't won a national championship in 6 years and didn't even get to the tournament this year (yes they were screwed). Lucia syndrome is setting in on the gopher women's side. This is his ifrst decent recruiting class since Zummy was a Freshman. Because of Covid most will set out. Conner decomitted from Penn State where she would have played. Would have been fun to see her on a line with Heising and Zanon. Oh well.

Comment

What’s Lucia syndrome?

I think Frost is fine, outsider looking in I like his kumbaya vibe, doesn’t seem too different than MJ, but maybe someone fiery is needed in one of the other roles, even if it’s the captain on the team.

I don’t think they need to win a natty to keep him, only winners since last gophs title are wisc, Clarkson and coronavirus, but it seems like it’s been a while since the gophs hung a league champ or conf tourney banner. Olympic/Covid year coming up, maybe next year is their season.

If anything the gophs “struggles” of late highlight how dumb it was of Berlo to fire Miller for not making the tourney. It’s all easier said than done, especially in that league . If it was time for her to go, fine, my point is just that winning it all, or even emerging from that meat grinder league into the NCAA tourney is a mighty challenge. Luckily Berlo was found a work around for that, but still.
                        Last edited by Lindsay; 05-11-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          maybe next year is their season.
                          Not if Ohio State or Wisconsin can help it! (Big Grin, Wink!)

Comment

I am interested in seeing how fast the Tommies gain ground in D1, and whether they suffer from losing players to the transfer portal etc. The last team to make the leap to D1 and
                            achieve some success was Penn State. With their resources, it took 9 seasons (I think) to get a winning season, and hang a banner. RIT won two conf tourneys but is struggling badly in general. Lindenwood, Holy Cross, Merrimack continue to struggle. I don’t know much about the NEWHA teams. Is there reason to believe the Tommies will be different? Certainly one hopes all the teams mentioned make the leaps in competitiveness.

differentiating their programs from the teams I mentioned, and how fast they can get to 5th in the WCHA will be measures of that programs success in the early years, I imagine. Do people have thoughts on the likelihood of that happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

I do like the potential of Emma Peschel to be very good out of that group.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

You gotta like the Penny Ante State dude trash talking the Rodents.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X