Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSUfan
    replied
    This was mentioned in the Transfer Portal thread so just putting it here for completeness: Shelley Looney is out as head coach at Lindenwood after 4 years. I'm not aware of any other head coach openings besides BU and Lindenwood.

https://lindenwoodlions.com/news/202...ns-hockey.aspx

Leave a comment:

• NoChangeOnIcing
    replied
    What’s the scuttlebutt out there surrounding this? Any idea who could/would be a good fit? I imagine it’s a highly coveted position for any one in the game! Intrigued to hear people’s thoughts on this one!!

Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
    Brian Durocher (Boston University) retiring from coaching at the end of the season.
    https://goterriers.com/news/2023/2/1...-coaching.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied
    So is Matthews the favorite to succeed Durocher? She has over a decade of head coaching experience under her belt at St. Anselm. Could we see the return of Keady-Norton?

Leave a comment:

• freak
    replied
    Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
    You can learn a lot about what doesn't work that way. And formulate ideas on what would work
    Hasn't helped Coach Witt. ☕

Leave a comment:

• Skate79
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    And will Stone survive at Hawvawd?
    Not likely. The news continues to get worse. Apparently, there are more reporters digging into the mess. Stay tuned...

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Been the same four coaches in Boston for a long time, with 18 for Durocher, 14 for Crowley, 13 for Flint, and Stone ... well, maybe too long.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    And will Stone survive at Hawvawd?

Leave a comment:

• PSUfan
    replied
    Brian Durocher (Boston University) retiring from coaching at the end of the season.
    https://goterriers.com/news/2023/2/1...-coaching.aspx

Leave a comment:

• ManBehindTheCurtain
    replied
    Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
    I know of two others that went straight from Head Coach at D3 to Head Coach at D1. Neither lasted too long at their respective D1 gigs. Carisa (Zaban) Wahlig went from HC at Lake Forest to HC at Brown. And Jenny (Schmidgall) Potter went from HC at Trinity to HC at Ohio State.
    Brian Idalski from Wisconsin Stevens Point to North Dakota.

Leave a comment:

• shelfit
    replied
    Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
    I know of two others that went straight from Head Coach at D3 to Head Coach at D1. Neither lasted too long at their respective D1 gigs. Carisa (Zaban) Wahlig went from HC at Lake Forest to HC at Brown. And Jenny (Schmidgall) Potter went from HC at Trinity to HC at Ohio State.
    Greg Fargo, from Elmira to Colgate. I guess that also means any D3 coach that ever beat Fargo while he was at Elmira should also consider themselves good candidates for D1 jobs, especially considering that Elmira is among the schools considered as hockey schools compared to all the have-not schools out there.

Leave a comment:

• whoop87
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied
    Originally posted by shelfit View Post

From my previous post, "Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice."
    If Bobrowski's goal is to be a D1 head coach the quicker path would have been staying at MN or taking another D1 assistant gig. The only coaches I can recall jumping straight from a DIII HC gig to DI HC gig are Chad Davis and Mark Bolding. Most of the others I know of who have elevated divisions had to take a step back in leadership and go be an assistant coach to move up to DI.

I suspect his police pension may have played a role in his decision to move on (in addition to the desire to lead as Lindsay called it). In NY public employee retirees are only allowed to make X amount of money working for any other public agency after claiming their pension. The University of MN would be a state employer and there's a strong chance that his continuing to work there would affect his ability to collect his pension. Though if that were the impetus I would think he would have found something else sooner...Either way, he's going to have a pretty good setup: coaching a perpetually successful team with dual income in a fairly cheap place to live...

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    I suspect the desire to lead plays a role as well whether it’s about getting to d1 or not. Appreciate the context Scott... a pension might make it make more sense from a financial perspective, not that I know how a d3 head coach salary compares to D1 assistant.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 09-03-2022, 07:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shelfit
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

He went from the second assistant at a D1 to a head coach at D3, the same kind of move Mollie Fitzpatrick did when she went to Plymouth State this offseason. Bobrowski has a pension from his career with the St. Paul Police Dept (it appears he left the force in '21) so if the worst does happen to Elmira and he's still there he would still have one income stream. All three of his predecessors at Elmira went on to D1 coaching gigs so it's not exactly a dead end. Elmira can make the NCAA tourney seemingly on autopilot so his work with Hamline and Elmira alone will open pretty much any door in DIII later even if he never makes it back to D1.
    From my previous post, "Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice."

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied
    Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Wow, I guess I'm really surprised by this because this seems like a huge step down, going from D1 at the U to a D3 school that is apparently in big financial trouble. Going from the WCHA in your home town practically, to a small town in NY and a weak conference where only Norwich is a challenge just seems like a bad decision. Would he make similar money of less? I would think less. Maybe he's using this opportunity as a stepping stone to a D1 head coaching job down the road. In that case I guess I understand why he would make this type of sacrifice.
    He went from the second assistant at a D1 to a head coach at D3, the same kind of move Mollie Fitzpatrick did when she went to Plymouth State this offseason. Bobrowski has a pension from his career with the St. Paul Police Dept (it appears he left the force in '21) so if the worst does happen to Elmira and he's still there he would still have one income stream. All three of his predecessors at Elmira went on to D1 coaching gigs so it's not exactly a dead end. Elmira can make the NCAA tourney seemingly on autopilot so his work with Hamline and Elmira alone will open pretty much any door in DIII later even if he never makes it back to D1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X