Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott_TG
    replied
    Ashley Salerno returns to UVM as an assistant coach, a position she held in 2016-17. Salerno has also been the head coach of DIII Castleton and the assistant at DIII Middlebury (2014-16, 2018-2023) where she helped lead the Panthers to the 2022 DIII Championship in an undefeated season. Salerno also coaches with Turkey's national team.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied
    Former Vermont Associate Head Coach Jess Koizumi is announced as the newest player advisor of Carla Pentimone's Women's College Hockey Recruiting outfit. Big name signing for Carla as her and her roster of advisors (including former Badger Alyson Baldwin, former Trine HC Tom Hofman and former LVC assistant Ally LaBaff) continue to guide players through the development and recruitment process.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied
    Jordan Lipson goes from Lindenwood to RMU.

Leave a comment:

• thirdtime's . . .
    replied
    Those of you who are puzzled by this AD situation and the inner workings of a university bureaucracy in general should familiarize yourselves with the overarching principle at work here: The Peter Principle, Laurence Peter and Raymond Hull, first published in 1969. It’s the formal elaboration, based on much hard data, of the commonplace phenomenon we all have witnessed: People in a hierarchy tend to be promoted to the level of their incompetence. Good off-season reading!

Leave a comment:

• Trillium
    replied
    Originally posted by D2D View Post
    As expected, nothing but glowing praise in the Crimson's formal announcement:
    Dear Harvard Hockey Alums and Friends,

I am writing to let you know that Katey Stone announced her retirement from coaching today to the players on her team. The public release below will be posted imminently.

Katey’s indelible connection with Harvard Women’s Ice Hockey is due to her passionate commitment in building the program and her many years of service to Harvard.

I also wanted you to know that a national search for a new head coach will begin immediately. As we look to recruit, search and hire an excellent coach, please send along any names of potential candidates that you would like for us to consider to Tim Troville – ttroville@fas.harvard.edu. Hiring head coaches is one of the most important responsibilities that I hold given the impact on student-athlete experience. I look forward to the process and am confident that we will hire an excellent coach.

We wish Katey the very best,

Erin

Erin McDermott
    John D. Nichols ’53 Family Director of Athletics
    Katey Stone Announces Retirement

After 29 years at the helm of the Harvard Women’s Hockey program, Katey Stone announces her retirement from coaching.

During her tenure as Harvard’s head coach, Stone has built a national powerhouse of a hockey program, including appearances in 12 NCAA regionals, six Frozen Fours, and four national title games, as well as nine Ivy League championships, 14 total ECAC championships, 12 Beanpot titles and the 1999 National Championship. Stone’s student-athletes have garnered over 250 individual national, conference, and league honors. On the international ice, Stone served as Team USA’s head coach from 2010-2014 earning a silver medal at the 2014 Olympic Games, along with gold and silver success at the 2011-2013 World Championships and Four Nations Cups.

Stone reflects on her Crimson tenure, “It has been my distinct pleasure to represent Harvard and lead our storied program for nearly three decades. The opportunity to coach and empower the amazingly talented women of Harvard Hockey has been both a personal and professional privilege. The relationships fostered with my players over the years has been the very best part of my job. Their personal accomplishments both at Harvard and beyond, along with our shared achievements, will always be a point of great pride and inspiration for me.”

“The decision to retire from any profession is never an easy decision; for coaches, stepping down from the bench, leaving the program you have poured your heart and soul into for this many years, is especially hard. I believe a coach knows in their heart when it is time for change and I look forward to supporting the next chapter in Harvard Women’s Hockey. I am grateful to my coaching colleagues and administrators who have supported my journey. Thank you to my players and alumni for sharing your lives with me. I will continue to root for each and every young woman who has come through our beloved program. It has been an honor of a lifetime to be your coach.”

Athletic Director Erin McDermott remarks on Stone’s coaching career at Harvard, “We recognize the decades of service and commitment that Katey has given to this University and Athletic Department. We thank her for all she has done to build the women’s hockey program here, and we wish her the best in her future endeavors.”

A search for a head coach will commence immediately.
    Since the student-athlete experience in Harvard Women's Hockey is by a large margin the worst in the Athletics Department, and retention rates within the program also at rock-bottom, according to Harvard's own statistics....and McDermott cites this herself as most important of her own responsibilities, WHY DOES SHE STILL HAVE A JOB? She's basically admitted by extension that she has failed at her own job.
    Last edited by Trillium; 06-08-2023, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    As expected, nothing but glowing praise in the Crimson's formal announcement:
    Dear Harvard Hockey Alums and Friends,

I am writing to let you know that Katey Stone announced her retirement from coaching today to the players on her team. The public release below will be posted imminently.

Katey’s indelible connection with Harvard Women’s Ice Hockey is due to her passionate commitment in building the program and her many years of service to Harvard.

I also wanted you to know that a national search for a new head coach will begin immediately. As we look to recruit, search and hire an excellent coach, please send along any names of potential candidates that you would like for us to consider to Tim Troville – ttroville@fas.harvard.edu. Hiring head coaches is one of the most important responsibilities that I hold given the impact on student-athlete experience. I look forward to the process and am confident that we will hire an excellent coach.

We wish Katey the very best,

Erin

Erin McDermott
    John D. Nichols ’53 Family Director of Athletics

Katey Stone Announces Retirement

After 29 years at the helm of the Harvard Women’s Hockey program, Katey Stone announces her retirement from coaching.

During her tenure as Harvard’s head coach, Stone has built a national powerhouse of a hockey program, including appearances in 12 NCAA regionals, six Frozen Fours, and four national title games, as well as nine Ivy League championships, 14 total ECAC championships, 12 Beanpot titles and the 1999 National Championship. Stone’s student-athletes have garnered over 250 individual national, conference, and league honors. On the international ice, Stone served as Team USA’s head coach from 2010-2014 earning a silver medal at the 2014 Olympic Games, along with gold and silver success at the 2011-2013 World Championships and Four Nations Cups.

Stone reflects on her Crimson tenure, “It has been my distinct pleasure to represent Harvard and lead our storied program for nearly three decades. The opportunity to coach and empower the amazingly talented women of Harvard Hockey has been both a personal and professional privilege. The relationships fostered with my players over the years has been the very best part of my job. Their personal accomplishments both at Harvard and beyond, along with our shared achievements, will always be a point of great pride and inspiration for me.”

“The decision to retire from any profession is never an easy decision; for coaches, stepping down from the bench, leaving the program you have poured your heart and soul into for this many years, is especially hard. I believe a coach knows in their heart when it is time for change and I look forward to supporting the next chapter in Harvard Women’s Hockey. I am grateful to my coaching colleagues and administrators who have supported my journey. Thank you to my players and alumni for sharing your lives with me. I will continue to root for each and every young woman who has come through our beloved program. It has been an honor of a lifetime to be your coach.”

Athletic Director Erin McDermott remarks on Stone’s coaching career at Harvard, “We recognize the decades of service and commitment that Katey has given to this University and Athletic Department. We thank her for all she has done to build the women’s hockey program here, and we wish her the best in her future endeavors.”

A search for a head coach will commence immediately.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    She'll win more there and St. Cloud is going to be right on UMD's heels next season.
    Crowell has had pretty good success versus Harvard in recent meetings, so I'm not sure of the basis for an assumption that she would win more at Harvard. St. Cloud and St. Thomas will be improved, UM (and maybe MSU) will be worse, but it isn't clear to me that she'd have a better chance to win a title at Harvard than at UMD. She has been able to attract some top-end Canadian transfers to Duluth and has recruited Minnesota well, so I think she can attract enough talent to compete for a title. She was close in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Crowell to Harvard makes sense... but would she leave a pretty good gig at UMD and being in the best league in WCH?
    She'll win more there and St. Cloud is going to be right on UMD's heels next season.

Darwitz to UMD then. That would be juicy.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by lindsay View Post
    i’m calling brianna decker for sure if i’m brad frost.
    no

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

What a thought! Hannah Brandt to replace Katey Stone! That would be karma squared.
    Indeed it would...However, full disclosure, I was replying to the second part of Lindsay's post where she said:

"I’m calling Brianna Decker for sure if I’m Brad Frost. Who else is there?" So what I was saying is directed at the UM's assistant coach position...

Leave a comment:

• Steamboat
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Crowell to Harvard makes sense... but would she leave a pretty good gig at UMD and being in the best league in WCH?

A few Gopher alumni would make sense. Make Bethany Brausen and offer she can't refuse or...Brandt, Pannek, Steicklein to name a few could be possibilities.
    What a thought! Hannah Brandt to replace Katey Stone! That would be karma squared.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Well then.
    so Harvard needs a head coach and UM needs an assistant.

I’m calling Brianna Decker for sure if I’m Brad Frost. Who else is there?

A few Gopher alumni would make sense. Make Bethany Brausen and offer she can't refuse or...Brandt, Pannek, Steicklein to name a few could be possibilities.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-08-2023, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Well then.
    so Harvard needs a head coach and UM needs an assistant.

I’m calling Brianna Decker for sure if I’m Brad Frost. Who else is there?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck_a_Puck
    replied
    Lee J Mirasolo to Stonehill. Fantastic hire!

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied
    Originally posted by TrueNorth1 View Post
    Taylor Wasylk named head coach of Lindenwood University women's hockey. Wasylk comes to Lindenwood after spending the last five years as head coach at Suffolk University
    Lindenwood’s leading scorer entered the portal, Morgan Neitzke.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X