Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    [QUOTE=Lindsay;n3661416]I am interested in seeing how fast the Tommies gain ground in D1, and whether they suffer from losing players to the transfer portal etc.

    I don’t have any insider knowledge but I would think the transfer portal could be a big help for St T grabbing some experienced D1 players. A lot could depend on how much scholarship money they have to offer right away.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by D2D View Post
      No doubt she's a great recruiter, and still has inroads into the state, but she doesn't get them all, including the two most highly recruited forwards in the state this past year...
      Don't want to put words in anyone's mouth. But if anyone is suggesting that the Buckeyes are going to consistently out-recruit the Gophers for Women's Hockey talent in Minnesota, that's just silly talk. Ohio State needs to recruit throughout the hockey world, and will continue to do so. At the same time, getting "more than our fair share" of the top talent from MN is very doable, especially with Coach Muzz.

      Also keep in mind that assistant coaches do a lot of the recruiting, and our assistants are well connected in MN.

      Just stating the obvious, but we're going to have a better shot with kids who are already interested in going away to school. We have a brand name Department of Athletics, and a comprehensive world class University to offer. An opportunity to go to Ohio State should be extremely tempting to any athlete in this category.


      I believe that long term Muzzy's influence on aspiring D1 players in Minnesota will gradually recede, and this trend may in fact have already begun.
      If you mean players that grew up watching Nadine play for the Gophers, that's already happened. Enough years have gone by. If you mean players that grew up watching her coach for the Gophers, OK: That "generational replacement" may be starting.

      But relationships with high school coaches can be long term. If a high school coach respects an out-of-state program, that coach's players may very well give you a more serious look.

      Perhaps most important of all is simply having a comfort level with the territory. When you have tons of places and people in common with a recruit, that gets your foot in the door. You have the knowledge; you speak the language. Of course you have to do a lot more to close the deal. But her MN ties give Coach Muzzerall a resource that won't fade.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by D2D View Post
        No doubt she's a great recruiter, and still has inroads into the state, but she doesn't get them all, including the two most highly recruited forwards in the state this past year:
        https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/ros...bseason=697635
        https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/ros...bseason=697635
        Hemp has a 70.8 scoring percentage? I can't stop laughing...Do they use live goalies in MN girls HS hockey?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

          Don't want to put words in anyone's mouth. But if anyone is suggesting that the Buckeyes are going to consistently out-recruit the Gophers for Women's Hockey talent in Minnesota, that's just silly talk. Ohio State needs to recruit throughout the hockey world, and will continue to do so. At the same time, getting "more than our fair share" of the top talent from MN is very doable, especially with Coach Muzz.

          Also keep in mind that assistant coaches do a lot of the recruiting, and our assistants are well connected in MN.

          Just stating the obvious, but we're going to have a better shot with kids who are already interested in going away to school. We have a brand name Department of Athletics, and a comprehensive world class University to offer. An opportunity to go to Ohio State should be extremely tempting to any athlete in this category.


          If you mean players that grew up watching Nadine play for the Gophers, that's already happened. Enough years have gone by. If you mean players that grew up watching her coach for the Gophers, OK: That "generational replacement" may be starting.

          But relationships with high school coaches can be long term. If a high school coach respects an out-of-state program, that coach's players may very well give you a more serious look.

          Perhaps most important of all is simply having a comfort level with the territory. When you have tons of places and people in common with a recruit, that gets your foot in the door. You have the knowledge; you speak the language. Of course you have to do a lot more to close the deal. But her MN ties give Coach Muzzerall a resource that won't fade.
          Well thought out and well said.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            But it seems like it’s been a while since the gophs hung a league champ or conf tourney banner. .
            Looked this up for my own knowledge. I’m sure WCHA fans already knew, but Minnesota won their conf tourney in 18, reg season in 19 and national runner up in 19. So not really a while.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

              I don’t have any insider knowledge but I would think the transfer portal could be a big help for St T grabbing some experienced D1 players. A lot could depend on how much scholarship money they have to offer right away.
              oh wow. I was thinking they’d possibly be a program that gets preyed upon and loses players (in future years). I suppose the reverse might also be true initially.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                Hemp has a 70.8 scoring percentage? I can't stop laughing...Do they use live goalies in MN girls HS hockey?
                Nope, cardboard cut-outs. Wink ; But most players have much lower scoring percentages, like around 25. Hemp is special. Double Wink ; ;
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Nope, cardboard cut-outs. Wink ; But most players have much lower scoring percentages, like around 25. Hemp is special. Double Wink ; ;
                  Not as special as Zumwinkle who was 76%. At least now I have a reference point.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                    Not as special as Zumwinkle who was 76%. At least now I have a reference point.
                    No you don't...Look a bit deeper into the numbers and think about who the schools have keeping stats that get relayed to the Star and Tribune's Hockey Hub. Most stat keepers at high school hockey games will do a pretty good job of keeping track of the total number of shots but attributing them to individual players? Not so much.

                    Case in point...Andover in 23 games had 1172 shots on goal for an average of roughly 51 shots per game. Hemp's stats show in 23 games she only had 48 shots on goal? Roughly 2 shots on goal a game? Playing first line minutes? Are you kidding me. Andover scored 194 goals on those 1172 shots for a shooting percentage of 16.6%. It is more likely the range where Hemp would fall into is around 20 to 25 percent would be my guess.

                    Something else on closer inspection...The total number of shots on goal listed under the individual player's stats for Andover is 291. Compared to 1172 shots under the team stats for Andover. Seems to be a little bit of a gap between those numbers, eh?
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 05-12-2021, 09:43 AM.
                    "If you ever feel useless, remember....It took 20 years, trillions of dollars and 4 US presidents to replace the Taliban, with the Taliban."

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      https://www.stonehillskyhawks.com/sp...20210512h45r8i

                      Tara Watchorn will be the first head coach at Stonehill. Stonehill will compete in the NEWHA beginning in 2022. Watchorn is currently an assistant coach at BU.

                      Another purple team!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Dude Stonehill YES what a hire!

                        I will have to get over my BU hate in supporting my new 2nd favorite team but I'LL MANAGE
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Senior Writer & Women's Hockey Editor, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14


                        Click here for the BC Interruption Projection, Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Dartmouth names Liz Keady Norton as next head coach

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                            Dartmouth names Liz Keady Norton as next head coach
                            Congrats to Keady Norton.

                            Impressive coaching tree for BU’s Brian Durocher: Katie LaChappelle, Liz Keady Norton, Tara Watchorn all head coaches. Allison Coomey Assoc Head coach and current national team assistant coach.



                            Comment


                            • #44
                              https://brownbears.com/news/2021/5/2...ead-coach.aspx

                              Melanie Ruzzi named head coach for Browns' Women's Hockey Program.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Saint Anselm is advertising for a new head coach.
                                https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/rss...medium=twitter

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X