Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Kinda wonder if Courtney Kennedy might end up at Duluth. I may have dreamed this but I think she might have gotten an offer from them last time around. My brain might have made that up though idk that was a long time ago.
    That's the last gig Mrs. Kennedy wants.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      My jaw literally dropped!

      Maura Crowell, new head coach at Dartmouth.

      Maura Crowell Named Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach - Dartmouth College Athletics (dartmouthsports.com)
      Watts!!?? Is this a joke? Is she from out East? Is she acknowledging she knows umd will never crack the top 3 in the Wcha? The ezac is very competitive. Crazy. Maybe the eastern most Wcha coach wants to get closer to home.
      ​​​
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

        Watts!!?? Is this a joke? Is she from out East? Is she acknowledging she knows umd will never crack the top 3 in the Wcha? The ezac is very competitive. Crazy. Maybe the eastern most Wcha coach wants to get closer to home.
        ​​​
        I think your right ... the WCHA is a beast to compete in 24/7 job. Too much. Why not go and be closer to family zero stress. Probably more money. Just a WIN WIN overall.

        Comment


        • This shocks me for two reasons. One is that her Associate Head Coach was Laura Schuler who was at Dartmouth for a few years. I would imagine Schuler would have much to say on the subject and I did not think her experience was a positive one (I obviously could be wrong, but hard to imagine a positive experience when your team is not winning). Second is that she will not attract the same athletes to an Ivy school that gravitated towards UMD. Although, perhaps this is what she wants with the looming decision to pay athletes and with the NIL starting to ramp up?
          Whatever her reasons are, I hope that administration supports her and lets her actually change the program. It seems to me that the teams who are at the bottom stay at the bottom because when coaches come in to actually make those changes, those particular athletes protest the loudest and somehow, their losing mentality is gospel to the Athletic Directors. I hope Crowell brings Dartmouth back to prominence.

          Comment


          • https://www.therinklive.com/womens-c...9;s%20hometown.

            seems like a big part of it’s about moving to be near family. I didn’t realize both she and her wife were from Mass. i thought one was Minnesotan.

            a dose of sanity in the college athletics conversation this summer! The whole experience, athlete or employee, is about more than 1 thing.

            I notice that Mobley, although she’s on her third school, has been slowly moving towards home.

            if Crowell can get the support she needs administratively this is a really exciting thing. Not to mention someone will get a healthy UMD program to coach.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

              I notice that Mobley, although she’s on her third school, has been slowly moving towards home.
              Duluth has three "inbound" transfers, all of them one-year eligibility: Olivia Mobley from Ohio State, goalie Tindra Holm from LIU, and forward Nina Steigauf from Quinnipiac. I wonder if any of them has second thoughts now; and if so, is it too late to do anything about it, in terms of scholarships available and admission to a different school, etc. Likewise for anyone on the 2023-24 Duluth roster.
              Last edited by robertearle; 06-01-2024, 09:40 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                Duluth has three "inbound" transfers, all of them one-year eligibility: Olivia Mobley from Ohio State, goalie Tindra Holm from LIU, and forward Nina Steigauf from Quinnipiac. I wonder if any of them has second thoughts now; and if so, is it too late to do anything about it, in terms of scholarships available and admission to a different school, etc. Likewise for anyone on the 2023-24 Duluth roster.
                I believe, not 100% that if a coach leaves, then a player may leave without penalty. Wow, is it late ... I feel for the players that made the move... now what? Maybe they knew and maybe not? Not a good place for Duluth or the players to be in this late in the off-season.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Sierra View Post

                  I think your right ... the WCHA is a beast to compete in 24/7 job. Too much. Why not go and be closer to family zero stress. Probably more money. Just a WIN WIN overall.
                  I give her credit for putting her family happiness ahead of personal glory. Good for her. Dartmouth was 6 21 3 last year. It will be interesting to watch how things go for her.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

                    There's a lot of talk of PWHL NY making a change...would she be a candidate there?
                    No. She is headed to Milton Academy to coach their varsity. This move was made because her family stayed in MA while she coached at Dartmouth, and it became too stressful.

                    I'm surprised Crowell took the job. She had been rumored as a candidate for the Harvard job last offseason. Ultimately her assistant and former Harvard star Laura Bellamy got the job. Even with her experience as an associate head coach at Harvard, Crowell is going to find it a lot tougher to recruit than Duluth. She may wind up regretting it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

                      No. She is headed to Milton Academy to coach their varsity. This move was made because her family stayed in MA while she coached at Dartmouth, and it became too stressful.

                      I'm surprised Crowell took the job. She had been rumored as a candidate for the Harvard job last offseason. Ultimately her assistant and former Harvard star Laura Bellamy got the job. Even with her experience as an associate head coach at Harvard, Crowell is going to find it a lot tougher to recruit than Duluth. She may wind up regretting it.
                      Harvard's path in the future may be different with the implementation of these new NIL rules

                      Comment


                      • When Yale switched coaches a few years back, Mark Bolding was able to step in and change the mentality and the culture. Yale went from a perennially losing program to one of the top teams. So it's certainly possible to change a program, even in the Ivy League.

                        Comment


                        • Bolding benefited from a pretty strong group when he arrived at Yale that was already there.

                          Dartmouth offers some pieces for Crowell to start building on, too. They were near the bottom of the ECAC last year, but with starting goaltending that had nearly the worst GAA in NCAA hockey. Next year they introduce two first-year goaltenders that offer the promise of significant improvement - Grace Zahn, reigning Minnesota high school hockey goalie of the year, and Michaela Hesova from BK Selects. They also fielded one of the youngest rosters in college hockey last year. With a year of seasoning from the returners, add a strong D from Shattuck in Sydney Putrah, introduce talented forward Ellie Morrison to the lineup after sitting out her first year due to injury, and with the energy that can accompany a coaching change, there's a chance for Dartmouth to be more competitive. A long way away from nationally relevant, but more competitive.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by tedlasso View Post
                            When Yale switched coaches a few years back, Mark Bolding was able to step in and change the mentality and the culture. Yale went from a perennially losing program to one of the top teams. So it's certainly possible to change a program, even in the Ivy League.
                            Surely her systems and the way she deals with players will have a positive impact on their wins and losses. If you look at what happened at St Cloud, a coaching change can have a big impact without a massive turnover of the personnel.

                            It is interesting to ponder why Dartmouth when she probably could have had Harvard last year if she wanted it since she was looking to go east anyway.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                              Surely her systems and the way she deals with players will have a positive impact on their wins and losses. If you look at what happened at St Cloud, a coaching change can have a big impact without a massive turnover of the personnel.

                              It is interesting to ponder why Dartmouth when she probably could have had Harvard last year if she wanted it since she was looking to go east anyway.
                              Maybe Harvard did not want her due to her being an assistant to Katie Stone.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by vicb View Post

                                Maybe Harvard did not want her due to her being an assistant to Katie Stone.
                                Bellamy also played for Katie Stone and ultimately is from her coaching tree by virtue of Crowell.

                                Having asked around about Crowell, my impression from Duluth friends is that:
                                1. She didn't want to go back to Harvard and clean up Katie Stone's mess.
                                2. She did want to move back east.
                                3. She was frustrated with perpetually having to compete with Gophers/Sinners/OSU while having fewer resources and UM-Duluth being the 2nd best UMN campus.
                                ECAC has more parity and Dartmouth is not wanting for money (university wide annual budget: $1.2b) and is overall a very attractive place to go to school. Recruiting might be a little harder but the Ivies seem to make it work, just as other prestigious private schools do in other sports (Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc.).

                                I feel sorry for my friends at UM-D but I'm sure they'll manage to find someone good.
                                RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X