X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.theicegarden.com/platfor...mpression=true

Ice Garden with Kacey Bellamy.

Comment

So now that Womens Worlds have been re-scheduled for Aug 20-31, what happens to the U18/U22 camp and Canada series, and U18 Worlds?

Comment

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/...women_s_worlds

The road to “somewhere in Canada” starts now, or whenever the players wrap up the benders that they probably all went on/ needed after the recent cancellation.

I don’t know if words mean anything at this point but there is a reference to fans in the stands in this article.

What must Bob Corkum think of all this. Believe it was third time that said this would happen.

surely Canada will be fully vaccinated by August? Once again: fingers crossed for this tourney.

as for the U18s/U22 camps - they are going to have to multi task and hold multiple events at once. Can’t cancel them, they won’t do it to the guys; and College season and Olympics just around the corner.

Comment

I know Hockey Canada is managing A LOT right now but the next thing that would be helpful is a roster lol. Let everyone get in a proper frame of mind whether they made the team or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            I know Hockey Canada is managing A LOT right now but the next thing that would be helpful is a roster lol. Let everyone get in a proper frame of mind whether they made the team or not.
            Maybe it will change being that the games are in August now?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Maybe it will change being that the games are in August now?
              Good point. Micah Zandee Hart was injured for the recent camp and may now be available. She was on the 19 and 20 rosters.

The edge that the college players brought due to actually playing a season may be a bit negated, with delay. They will all be coming off an off-season now, so that might hurt the young ones.

of course I’m still impatient to see a roster.

Comment

They would remove a lot of anxiety if they picked a USA location in a state that doesn't cave to covid paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  They would remove a lot of anxiety if they picked a USA location in a state that doesn't cave to covid paranoia.
                  Even by August paranoid states should be to the point that everything is well under control. I am not confident that Canada will reach any level of comfort this calendar year.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    So... not Michigan! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post

So... not Michigan! :-)
                      Yeah, I was thinking it but not saying it. Florida is wide open now, don't have an opinion what it will mean covid-wise but at least they wouldn't cancel anything.
                      Hertz Arena where the Everblades play would be a good choice. I don't know how well a Florida venue could maintain the quality of the ice in August though. It's not the temp of the glycol that's the critical factor but the atmospheric conditions inside the building.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-04-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6013794?cmp...mpression=true

Not much happening on this front obviously but PEI is trying to get worlds. Regina, Saskatchewan also.

I still think the likely place is Alberta for regulatory reasons. Covid per capita there is absolutely awful right now, but Hockey Canada already tried the “safe” place and that didn’t work.

CBC reported today that the Nova Scotia government is allowing Irving Oil to welcome employees from 5 different countries into the province, no quarantine, for ship testing, right now.

Comment

I think the major concern here is political will. The governor (or whatever provinces call their 'leader' and I use that term loosely) in Nova Scotia made a call that said 'well, the risk of an outbreak because the women's worlds is in town outweighs the pushback I will get from the women's hockey fans so I will cancel even though everything looks safe'. They paid no penalty for that. Hockey Canada is apparently not publicly calling them out, the premier or national government is not calling them out, etc. But, hey, we need Irving Oil so no restrictions at all! What is to say the leadership in Alberta or anywhere else won't make the same calculus? Most US state leadership would not want to risk the backlash to cancel at the last minute when say youth sports is happening.

Comment

Yes agreed re political will, as discussed earlier. Cassie Campbell called Premier Rankin out quite publicly, and I suspect she said out loud what Hockey Canada thinks. Of course she got crushed for it, because there’s understandably a lot of emotion all sides here, and because the average person doesn’t care at all about women’s hockey. Canadian equivalent of governor is premier, as you were looking for the word.

I think Alberta is less likely to cancel given the political culture there, but can’t ignore the fact that they have highest per capita Covid rate in North America right now, sadly.

When I try to find info about vaccines, it suggests Canada is getting like 10 million this month or something. If that can happen in consecutive months, and people take the vaccine, suggests they should be in better shape by the time August hits.

IIHF (and Hockey Canada) already dumped extra money into this tourney for safety back in March when Nova Scotia re committed to the tourney with all those quarantine rules. my guess is that IIHF is washing their hands of it and didn’t care to incur cost and headache of moving it to another country. So good luck to Hockey Canada - not an easy one to figure out, and big picture beyond hockey, just need those vaccines.
                            Last edited by Lindsay; 05-05-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              When I try to find info about vaccines, it suggests Canada is getting like 10 million this month or something. If that can happen in consecutive months, and people take the vaccine, suggests they should be in better shape by the time August hits.
                              I've got a question about vaccinations in Canada. Here in the USA with the vaccines being classified as Emergency Use Authorization, by Federal law getting it is restricted to voluntary only.
                              Is it any different under Canadian law or that getting vaccinated could be made mandatory?

Comment

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...ization-roster

Canada’s centralization roster. Unless I’m reading this wrong.... no Giguere, Watts or Gabel. Surprising that all 3 are absent.

I assume they’ll pick the worlds team from this.

Comment

Working...
                                X