2021 World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

It boggles my mind that the IIHF didn't have a fallback plan to move the tournament to a US venue if that became necessary. And that the national governing bodies (especially USA Hockey) all stood idly by while all of the tournament eggs were placed in the Canadian basket. A move from Nova Scotia to any of a number of venues in Maine or elsewhere in New England could have easily been accommodated IMO. With few or no fans allowed, there would have been no shortage of college or local arenas that would have filled the bill.
    The comment about USA Hockey standing idly by is interesting. Forget where I read it but apparently Nova Scotia was pretty adamant they could pull the event off, so that’s why Hockey Canada and IIHF were comfortable with the situation. Maybe same for USA Hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

The comment about USA Hockey standing idly by is interesting. Forget where I read it but apparently Nova Scotia was pretty adamant they could pull the event off, so that’s why Hockey Canada and IIHF were comfortable with the situation. Maybe same for USA Hockey?
      It's all about prudent contingency planning. Or in this case, the lack thereof. Look, it's not like COVID-19 and the lockdowns and other restrictions that come along with it just suddenly reared its ugly head. And it was also apparent that parts of Canada were lagging behind most of the US in terms of limiting consequences and--in recent months--getting shots in arms. Nova Scotia is not so geographically isolated that it would have been impossible to find and reserve suitable backup competition and practice venues in the northeast US. Logistics, such as hotels, might have been more of an issue but it's not as if any number of potential alternate northeast localities wouldn't have been able to handle it on short notice if they had to.
      Last edited by Split-N; 04-26-2021, 02:56 PM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Such a shame for these athletes. Not sure USA hockey could have done much about it. Urging that it be moved from Canada would have been impolitic when NS officials were signaling optimism. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes; the various governing bodies may have simply gotten burned by NS officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Logistics, such as hotels, might have been more of an issue but it's not as if any number of potential alternate northeast localities wouldn't have been able to handle it on short notice if they had to.
          You are probably right about availability, but 15 days before the tournament is supposed to start may have been too late to activate contingency plans in this public health emergency environment. And if NS was giving signals that it would be ready, the idea of IIHF moving it anyway would have created a political situation that officials would have been happy to avoid engaging with.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Such a shame for these athletes. Not sure USA hockey could have done much about it. Urging that it be moved from Canada would have been impolitic when NS officials were signaling optimism. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes; the various governing bodies may have simply gotten burned by NS officials.
            Personally I put it on NS and for their causing this cluster I think there should be a boycott on their future hosting for a significant length of time as a punishment. I hear they led the IIHF along that it's all good until the last minute they hit the brakes.

Comment

Seems like it comes to Canada every 3 or 4 years. I heard Hockey Canada still wants to host and is pushing for Edmonton. Personally, I’d like to see it in Halifax the next time after that that Canada hosts. I also think this one is on NS government, agree with what Buckeye said, but I still hope in 3 or 4 years they get their time to host. But who knows maybe there will be another Canadian host in between, and they will really make them wait.

Nonetheless, the absolute idiocy of having so little programming for women is on full display. When USA does their negotiating for new contract hope
              some of that gets addressed.

on Twitter I see NW fans are making this about them. “Don’t erase the NW and all that. Women’s hockey happened.” I support the NW, they are doing good things but here is how I see it. As someone who grew up in the 80s/90s in western Canada can I just say womens hockey was invisible when I grew up as a player. All we had was the CBC on our family tv and that publically funded tv station sure as hell didn’t show women’s hockey. Still feels effing invisible in Canada. First women’s worlds was 1990, I caught on to it in 2017 thanks to the US ladies threat to boycott.

As a former player, and now a mother, Jenner’s words hit the nail on the head for how I feel as a fan in all this. It’s invisible in Canada. I’m an expat but will always care about the state of girls/women’s hockey in Canada. Just disagree with the NW vocal fans take
              on this. Hayley Wickenheiser did an interview with Duhatschek a year ago and they touched on the PW. This was pre pandemic and even then she articulated a concern that if the $$ is in the US, Canada will be left behind in visibility and that is exactly what happened, though whether it was money or support lacking is up for debate.

I want the worlds in Halifax eventually for sentimental reasons. The average Canadian prob hasn’t been there, its a chance to showcase the province, it’s a chance to educate everyone about the 2004 worlds they hosted so well, where they literally inspired little girls to play. Their province absolutely punches above its weight in producing elite men’s and women’s players. That’s a thing that hurts in all this- you go to Hockey Canada’s website and it’s pretty obvious how excited HC was and all the players and HC alums for Halifax to host this year. So I know Halifax needs to wait now, the road to Halifax might be 6 or 7 years, not 2 like we thought but one day, hopefully!

Comment

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...117689860?s=20

Chris Peters did a long interview with Marisa Ingemi (starts about 7 minute Mark) talking about worlds and women’s hockey in general. I always enjoy her hockey commentary.

Comment

https://twitter.com/tokenCEO/status/...959102977?s=20

Token CEO Podcast where Rigsby, Decker (rostered) and Skarupa (Usa Hockey alum) share their thoughts.

Comment

I want the worlds in Halifax eventually for sentimental reasons. The average Canadian prob hasn’t been there, its a chance to showcase the province, it’s a chance to educate everyone about the 2004 worlds they hosted so well, where they literally inspired little girls to play. Their province absolutely punches above its weight in producing elite men’s and women’s players. That’s a thing that hurts in all this- you go to Hockey Canada’s website and it’s pretty obvious how excited HC was and all the players and HC alums for Halifax to host this year. So I know Halifax needs to wait now, the road to Halifax might be 6 or 7 years, not 2 like we thought but one day, hopefully!
                    I think the women deserve a full explanation of what happened and why officials held back on moving the tournament earlier, and perhaps there should be some corrective action taken if some officials screwed up, but I don't think we should be overly punitive to host cities for canceled events in the COVID-19 times. Halifax is a great city for a tournament like this. I really liked it when I visited a few years ago. Very friendly people and what they have done on their waterfront should be a model for other cities.
                    Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 04-28-2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I don't think we should be overly punitive to host cities for canceled events in the COVID-19 times. Halifax is a great city for a tournament like this. I really liked it when I visited a few years ago. Very friendly people and what they have done on their waterfront should be a model for other cities.
                      Agreed, David. Halifax may find themselves competing against other cities in the future that want to host and that may complicate future bids, but in non pandemic times, great city to host, no question about it.

Comment

but I don't think we should be overly punitive to host cities for canceled events in the COVID-19 times.
                        I respectfully disagree but it depends on certain circumstances. One, the city was NOT having a massive outbreak that warranted the cancellation. Two, if it was the government of either Halifax or NS that pulled the plug when the framework for playing safely with known protocols has been established and used successfully then punishment is warranted for the train wreck IF it was caused by knee jerk reaction.

Comment

Buckeye, when do you think it would be fair for Halifax to host again? With Olympics, then 3 years of worlds being elsewhere, then 2026 Olympics I don’t see them getting it until2027 at the earliest. Is that a long enough wait in your estimation? Respectively asking of course, appreciate the conversation. :-)

By 2027 Halifax will be undoubtedly be competing against other Canadian cities that want to host. So it very well could be a good long while.

How do people feel about Canada potentially still hosting in 2021? Because the Canadian players want it and HC is pushing for it. I’m not sure that’s fair at this point, but that doesn’t always matter.

Comment

Buckeye, when do you think it would be fair for Halifax to host again?
                            I don't know, as I said who is truly responsible for the decision of cancellation and the full reasons for it would be a major factor. Worst case - 5 years but it's only my opinion.
                            Also what legally binding promises and assurances will be given in the future to earn trust back?

Comment

The Premier of Nova Scotia pulled the plug on the tourney even after the Chief Medical Officer of the province said all was ok to hold tourney since the safety protocols were top notch. Various posts , information and interviews confirm this was all ok at 5am on Wednesday then canceled at 7:30 am same day.

One article I read said it’s an election situation or something like that out there and if cases increased because of tourney etc this guy would not get re-elected cuz he let the the tourney happen. Totally political.

In my opinion, Nova Scotia had their chance. Time to move on.
                              Last edited by slapshot willy; 04-29-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

I don't know, as I said who is truly responsible for the decision of cancellation and the full reasons for it would be a major factor. Worst case - 5 years but it's only my opinion.
                                Also what legally binding promises and assurances will be given in the future to earn trust back?
                                Gotcha. Seems reasonable, and likely. Happy Friday all!

Comment

Working...
                                X