Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becker College (Worcester, MA) Closing, neighbor Worcester State Announces New Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Becker College (Worcester, MA) Closing, neighbor Worcester State Announces New Team

    Becker College is officially closing. Right on top of that, neighboring Worcester State (the men play in the MASCAC, which has no women's conference) has announced they will field a varsity NCAA Women's Ice Hockey squad starting next season, and have encouraged Becker players to transfer there. To further the absorption narrative, Worcester State has already hired Becker HC Eliza Kelly to be their inaugural HC and signed a deal with the rink Becker played in. Kelly coached Becker for six seasons prior to the closure of the school.

    It is sad to see one of the 25 oldest colleges/universities in the country folding. Their squad may have been feeble compared to more successful programs but their players appeared to have a lot of pride in their program, often showing up to Beantown as a squad to compete over the summer. I'm glad another program is launching to make up the numbers and specifically trying to offer players from Becker a place to play that is in the same town as where they've been going. Here's hoping the players will continue playing, either at Worcester State or any other institution they are able to transfer to.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Becker College is officially closing. Right on top of that, neighboring Worcester State (the men play in the MASCAC, which has no women's conference) has announced they will field a varsity NCAA Women's Ice Hockey squad starting next season, and have encouraged Becker players to transfer there. To further the absorption narrative, Worcester State has already hired Becker HC Eliza Kelly to be their inaugural HC and signed a deal with the rink Becker played in. Kelly coached Becker for six seasons prior to the closure of the school.

    It is sad to see one of the 25 oldest colleges/universities in the country folding. Their squad may have been feeble compared to more successful programs but their players appeared to have a lot of pride in their program, often showing up to Beantown as a squad to compete over the summer. I'm glad another program is launching to make up the numbers and specifically trying to offer players from Becker a place to play that is in the same town as where they've been going. Here's hoping the players will continue playing, either at Worcester State or any other institution they are able to transfer to.


    I'm hearing most players are transferring to Worcester State and staying with the program. That's the best of a bad situation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GTOWN View Post



      I'm hearing most players are transferring to Worcester State and staying with the program. That's the best of a bad situation.
      Any word on what conference? Schools tend to follow the same path conference wise and the two schools with women's hockey that compete in the MASCAC in men's play in the NEHC. Becker was a CCC school. Does Worcester State join the NEHC or take Becker's spot in the CCC?
      Scott Henkle
      SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

      Proud alumn of WQKE


      GO CARDS!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

        Any word on what conference? Schools tend to follow the same path conference wise and the two schools with women's hockey that compete in the MASCAC in men's play in the NEHC. Becker was a CCC school. Does Worcester State join the NEHC or take Becker's spot in the CCC?
        Nothing yet but NEHC is already adding 2 schools in the fall so I can’t see them moving for the upcoming season.
        Here’s an article from the coach’s hometown, looks like 13 players are moving over.

        https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5a4458189.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GTOWN View Post

          Nothing yet but NEHC is already adding 2 schools in the fall so I can’t see them moving for the upcoming season.
          Here’s an article from the coach’s hometown, looks like 13 players are moving over.

          https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5a4458189.html
          So even if they can't recruit another player outside of who is coming from Becker, Worcester St will have more players for their inaugural season than Wilkes did...
          Scott Henkle
          SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

          Proud alumn of WQKE


          GO CARDS!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

            So even if they can't recruit another player outside of who is coming from Becker, Worcester St will have more players for their inaugural season than Wilkes did...
            Lmao. Three seasons of play and two of them are winless seasons and a combined total of 5 program wins?! Are you kidding me right now?! Wow! Does this guy get one more year before they show him the door? They ought to cut their losses (pun intended) and give him his pink slip right now. I called it back when they made the mistake of hiring him in the first place. What a joke!

            Comment

            Working...
            X