No announcement yet.

2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is today's lineup for the CHA semifinal vs Mercyhurst: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...296514/photo/1

Comment

• After one, it's Mercyhurst up 1-0 on a fluky deflection off a skate, but whatever...it counts. Penn State leads the shots on goal 12-6, and there were no penalties in the period. Neither team is dominating this very quick game so far, and there's nothing glaringly wrong from either side, so it's good hockey so far.

Comment

• Nystrom is the Mercyhurst goalie, but for some reason the announcers have called her Silvonen the whole time.

Comment

• After two, it's tied 2-2 against Mercyhurst, on goals from Amy Dobson and Olivia Wallin. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 31-16, and there are still no penalties (that were called...plenty could have been). Penn State really turned it up in the second period, and Mercyhurst didn't tie it up until under a minute to go on a 2 on 1. Penn State looks really fast today, and passes are moving forward, finally, instead of ping-ponging in the defensive zone.

Comment

• 5:36 left in the game and Mercyhurst is up 4-2 on a really bad idea from Josie Bothun coming way out of her net to try a clearing pass. Even the announcers are wondering how Penn State isn't up by a couple goals right now.

Comment

• 2:58 to go and Penn State has pulled Bothun, so it's pretty much desperation time...ugh, ugh, ugh.

Comment

• Sorry. I know this season ended far earlier than you would have hoped.

I wonder what Kamersal's postseason record is. I don't think his teams have ever won in the conference semis or beyond, unless they did back in the pre-NCAA era.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• And that's it...Mercyhurst wins 4-2 to move into tomorrow's CHA championship against Syracuse. I have no idea how Penn State didn't win this one, other than not having goal scorers, which I guess is a pretty big deal. They led the shots on goal by 45-22, took no penalties, and still couldn't put this one away. The announcers were even scratching their heads over how Penn State wasn't ahead on the scoreboard, the way they were flying today. I really don't know what they could've done differently. Man, what a tough one to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Sorry. I know this season ended far earlier than you would have hoped.

I wonder what Kampersal's postseason record is. I don't think his teams have ever won in the conference semis or beyond, unless they did back in the pre-NCAA era.
                    I really thought Penn State was going to play Syracuse tomorrow...not because Mercyhurst isn't a great team, but just because Penn State seemed to really take control of this game in the second period. That's two seasons in a row with a roster loaded with talent that can't move in the tournament...I don't get it.

I never thought to look at Kampersal's postseason record, but that's an interesting thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

I really thought Penn State was going to play Syracuse tomorrow...not because Mercyhurst isn't a great team, but just because Penn State seemed to really take control of this game in the second period. That's two seasons in a row with a roster loaded with talent that can't move in the tournament...I don't get it.

I never thought to look at Kampersal's postseason record, but that's an interesting thought.
                      Are you kidding me right now?! PSU outshot Hurst 45-22 and you think the coach is the reason they lost?! They should have scored at least 4 or 5 goals with that many shots on goal, and maybe 6 or 7 goals. They didn't. That's why they lost. It's that simple. I guess we should give the Hurst goalie and team defense some credit for stealing this game.

RIT almost did the same thing earlier vs Syracuse. Cuse outshot them 52-12 but could only beat them towards the end of the 1st OT period with a shot that went weirdly off the top of the webbing of the glove of the RIT goalie or else that game would have continued. It should have never gotten to OT in the first place given the lopsided shots on goal. Is that the Syracuse coach's fault?! Obviously not!
                      Last edited by shelfit; 02-25-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Are you kidding me right now?! PSU outshot Hurst 45-22 and you think the coach is the reason they lost?! They should have scored at least 4 or 5 goals with that many shots on goal, and maybe 6 or 7 goals. They didn't. That's why they lost. It's that simple. I guess we should give the Hurst goalie and team defense some credit for stealing this game.

RIT almost did the same thing earlier vs Syracuse. Cuse outshot them 52-12 but could only beat them towards the end of the 1st OT period with a shot that went weirdly off the top of the webbing of the glove of the RIT goalie or else that game would have continued. It should have never gotten to OT in the first place given the lopsided shots on goal. Is that the Syracuse coach's fault?! Obviously not!
                        Are you kidding me right now? He didn’t bring up the coach. He gave a respectful response to ARM, who mentioned the coach.

Comment

• Dobson had a nice goal. Hard to believe that PSU went up 2-1 and lost, but alas a disappointing year ends of course disappointing.

What a career for Natalie Heising.

And one has to wonder how much Celeste leaving hurt the PSU program.

Last edited by Reddington; 02-26-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Are you kidding me right now?! PSU outshot Hurst 45-22 and you think the coach is the reason they lost?!
                            Sorry, the fault here is mine for bringing this up too soon. However, I'm not asking this in the context of one game, one season, one roster, or any topic that is that narrow.

If you look at the coach's record throughout more than two decades, that is a lot of data. It could be just a numerical fluke. I've watched the seasons of two of those teams end live and in person, and they were high-quality teams that played very good games. In the end, they didn't come that close to winning either.

Also, his teams haven't advanced beyond the semis in the conference tourneys over the last 20+ years. I don't know why. I'm just wondering if there is some reason. Do they get worn down? Are they playing full tilt all season, so that when the postseason arrives and teams crank it up a couple of notches, his teams don't have another level to reach? It would be different if he were talking about some team that has been mostly lousy over this time. But over time, first Princeton and now PSU have been better than the likes of RPI and RIT, but the latter two had years where they played for conference championships, while Kampersal's teams, for reasons that are beyond me, have not.

I agree that in the end, it comes down to what the players on the ice do or don't do. Still, this is an odd trend.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Another disappointing season end for PSU...UGH. Fluke goals played a part in this one, but in the end the recipe is simple....you need to score more than your opponent one way or another. PSU has outshot their opponents all season, many times by a 2:1 margin. This Mercyhurst game was no different, but the scoreboard didn't reflect it. Those 'lucky bounce' goals only occur when you have traffic in front of the net, and for whatever reason Penn State loves to push pucks high to their D, and shoot from the blue line...many times without allowing time for screens to develop in front of the net. Rarely do you see Penn State look to the slot for open players that have a higher percentage chance of scoring or creating rebounds. If you look at shot analytics, shots from the blue line rarely result in goals (3% of time with traffic, and 1% of time with no traffic). Here's an interesting article on that topic...https://thecoachessite.com/problem-w...ots-analytics/. Maybe this helps to explain why outshooting opponents game after game has not resulted in the number of wins you'd expect to see from Penn State. Agree with ARM that given the parity seen throughout the regular season games, you'd expect the law of averages resulting in Penn Stating advancing to a championship game.

Comment

• Hi Penn State fans, anyone have background on former coach Brandewene being abusive towards his players at PSU?

The dad of a former player at his current job (DIII Alvernia) posted this comment on the conference (UCHC) facebook page and he references conduct at PSU. Is there anything known beyond what was reported in 2016?

*****https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220307/7f64153f0624a1e8beccb2643aaa02e1.jpg******

Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-07-2022, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X