No announcement yet.

2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw ZedLepplin's post above, so I thought I would let you know who going to PSU next year, according to Elite Prospects website.

New Recruits for 22-23
    Leah Stecker D (Philadelphia Jr. Flyers U19) 5-8-R
    Kendall Butze D (Selects Academy) 5-3-L
    Katelyn Roberts F (Chaska/Chanhassen-MN HS) 5-7-R
    Madelyn Christian F (Elk River/Zimmerman-MN HS) 5-7-L
    Tessa Janecke F (NAHA White-U19) 5-8-L
    Katie DeSa G (Boston Jr Eagles U19) 5-8

Comment

• Speaking of goalies, does the name "Chantal Burke" ring a bell?
      Last edited by Lurky McLurkface; 02-23-2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• I think she played at Minnesota State this year.

Comment

• Funny you ask: Talk about waiting and waiting for a chance and now it is twice that she probably takes the job and runs with it. I see she has popped up on Minn State and finally got to play and registered two shutouts. It's to bad it took so long to give her a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
            Or only 4 get in, for a 3 game series, then championship for a 3 game series. If you are not in top 4 of CHA, you probably shouldn’t be involved anyway.
            I would love to see that. #1 vs #4 best of three, and #2 vs #3 best of three, and then do a "best of three" championship series with the two winners. I'm not a fan at all of a one-and-done tournament. I also don't like that the CHA winner will have to sit for three weeks waiting for the national tournament...ugh.

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post
            Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            Funny you ask: Talk about waiting and waiting for a chance and now it is twice that she probably takes the job and runs with it. I see she has popped up on Minn State and finally got to play and registered two shutouts. It's to bad it took so long to give her a chance.
            Since Chantal Burke didn't play last year, which would have been her regular senior season, I wonder if she got to redshirt it. That would mean she still gets her covid bonus year next year, right? I don't know why Mankato didn't start her until this past weekend. Their go-to goalie only has a 3.45 goals against average and a .892 save percentage, and Burke was a lot better than that when she played at Penn State. I love this highlight video of her double shutout this weekend:

https://twitter.com/MinnStWHockey/st...28162384052226

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
              I also don't like that the CHA winner will have to sit for three weeks waiting for the national tournament...ugh.
              Your final is Saturday, but the NCAA Tournament first round can start as early as 3/10, so that's less than two weeks between games.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Your final is Saturday, but the NCAA Tournament first round can start as early as 3/10, so that's less than two weeks between games.
                Derppp...I skipped right over regionals and looked at the Frozen Four schedule. Thanks for clearing that up, ARM! Can you tell who's a fan of a team that's never been past the CHA tournament?

Comment

Derppp...I skipped right over regionals and looked at the Frozen Four schedule.
                  Nothing wrong with looking forward to a FF on your home ice!

Comment

• I think someone else would have to double check this reasoning ..... Under normal circumstances, you have 5 yrs to complete your eligibility once you start your eligibility. Burke did not play last year, yet still gets the covid bonus. She plays under 5 games she gets a redshirt. Then, yes she can play next year and maybe even the next, but I'm not sure on the next.

She looked great on the video. Exactly like the DesMet fans are saying "you have to get a chance to show your stuff."

Heising getting the player of the year is the icing on the cake for her.

Bothun has a chance this weekend to show that she was snubbed with DeSmet and Nystrom gobbling up the CHA goalie awards. It was a bit of a shocker.

PSU has been playing well at Syracuse under Kampersal so I think it actually is a plus for PSU to not be playing at home this weekend as playing at home has been a mixed bag for PSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                      I think someone else would have to double check this reasoning ..... Under normal circumstances, you have 5 yrs to complete your eligibility once you start your eligibility. Burke did not play last year, yet still gets the covid bonus. She plays under 5 games she gets a redshirt. Then, yes she can play next year and maybe even the next, but I'm not sure on the next.
                      My understanding of the Covid year is that it is like it never happened for anyone. If you played, didn't play, played a little, were enrolled somewhere, your five-year clock was running or wasn't -- none of it matters to the NCAA. Other groups, like the Ivies or a specific school, might treat the Covid year more restrictively, I don't know.

For Burke specifically, the Covid year doesn't count against her in any way, but she doesn't also get any form of bonus from it (i.e., she doesn't get one year for it being Covid and another year for not playing in the first place.) However many seasons of eligibility that she had remaining at the end of the 2019-20 season should be the number of years of eligibility she had left at the start of this season, which will now decrease by one with her playing in the second half of this season. I don't know if she was wrapping up her junior season then, or if she had applied for a medical-redshirt season along the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        My understanding of the Covid year is that it is like it never happened for anyone. If you played, didn't play, played a little, were enrolled somewhere, your five-year clock was running or wasn't -- none of it matters to the NCAA. Other groups, like the Ivies or a specific school, might treat the Covid year more restrictively, I don't know.

For Burke specifically, the Covid year doesn't count against her in any way, but she doesn't also get any form of bonus from it (i.e., she doesn't get one year for it being Covid and another year for not playing in the first place.) However many seasons of eligibility that she had remaining at the end of the 2019-20 season should be the number of years of eligibility she had left at the start of this season, which will now decrease by one with her playing in the second half of this season. I don't know if she was wrapping up her junior season then, or if she had applied for a medical-redshirt season along the way.
                        Chantal Burke never had a medical redshirt season at Penn State. She was just stuck first behind Daniela Paniccia, and then Jenna Brenneman when she transfered in from Clarkson. Burke would have been the starter last year as a senior, but for whatever reason she was no longer on the Penn State roster. So Burke did three seasons at Penn State and then was done.

Mankato has Burke listed as a regular senior on the roster (not redshirt). It's a shame that it ended with her only seeing two games (so far). Mankato has five goalies on their roster, but mainly played their junior goalie - Bah Harrington took a pass on Chantal Burke this season, whatever his reasons were, and missed out on a very talented goalie. Now I'm waiting to see the Whitecaps draft Burke and she ends up on a roster with...Jenna Brenneman again.

Comment

Mankato has five goalies on their roster,
                          My goodness! Are they also the team that somehow ended up playing a tennis player as their goalie for a game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

My goodness! Are they also the team that somehow ended up playing a tennis player as their goalie for a game?
                            I had to look that up, but yup...in November, against #2 Ohio State, the Mankato tennis player was the emergency starting goalie. The article says they had three goalies, all out with injuries, so I wonder where Chantal Burke was in November. Anyway, here's an article about it:

https://www.crowrivermedia.com/indep...try's%20No.

Comment

I had to look that up, but yup...in November, against #2 Ohio State, the Mankato tennis player was the emergency starting goalie. The article says they had three goalies, all out with injuries, so I wonder where Chantal Burke was in November. Anyway, here's an article about it:

https://www.crowrivermedia.com/indep...try's%20No.
                              Ha, thanks! I tried to search too but didn’t easily find. Perhaps that experience prompted them to stock up some more.

Comment

• I tried watching the video stream of the RIT/Lindenwood CHA quarterfinal, and I just can't. It's so dark, and it's either the arena or the camera crew - or I'm just spoiled by the lighting at Pegula Ice Arena.

Comment

Working...
                                X